Running

Options
Howdy!

I am intrigued as to who on here incorporates running (or jogging) into their weight loss regime. I know some people just hate it, but I would hope there are some people that love it too, like me. The best thing about it in my opinion, is that with proper rest and nutrition, IT GETS EASIER! So I thought I'd start a thread on it! Feel free to elaborate on the basic questions below, and share your successes from running if you have some. :)

I have lost 14lbs since I started my journey, and running has been a really big part of that.

- How often do you run?
- How far, on average, do you run each time?
- How far do you run a week, on average?
- What running shoes do you wear? (X Country or Minimal etc. / Brand?)
- Where do you run? (Location in the world and then specifically where!)

I aim to run 5 times a week
I run approx. 5km a time, with the occasional 10km
I aim to run around 30km a week
I wear some Adidas Duramo shoes, decent both for Road and rougher surfaces
I run in London! Usually around Clapham Common and/or Battersea Park, near my house

Ciao!

x

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I like running but don't do it now and i won't do it for weightloss anymore. If i do it its for other reasons: fitness, go in a race, feel like it, general health and wellbeing. I also love the runners high once my fitness increases.

I'm a slack when it comes to exercise but there have been times when i have run for long periods.
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40lbs so far and have another 115lbs to go :)

I got into running because my legs always felt like they wanted to!

- How often do you run?
    around 2-3 times a week, trying to give my legs some rest in between considering my still rather high weight

I run 5km every time and walk the way back home to cool down

between 10-15km I am still rather new to running :)

currently no name from decathlon but I need to get myself sorted with a good pair if I want to continue without injuring myself

in Nottingham - normally around the parks that are nearby :) Digby, Colwick or Gedling Country Park
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Running is pretty much 85% of my exercise (I do *some* resistance training but nowhere near enough).

I've been 312lbs at my heaviest .... and am currently at 210 on this second weighloss journey having put a load back on since losing previously.

In that time, I've run 3 full marathons, a half marathon and amd signed up for 2 more full marathons next year.

As the summer mornings are light, I'm currently getting up mid week on a Monday / Wednesday / Friday at 04:30 and go out running - anything from 5-10km at a time

At weekends, I run on a Sunday morning for a longer run (10-20km).

I'm in the UK - South East and run in the shoes that were specifically fitted for me - Asics road shoes.

At the beginning of this year, I was over 280lbs ... and struggled to do a 5km ..... it would take me around 45 mins.

Now - I'm consistently running it in 26-27.5 mins with a current PB at 10km in 55mins 21seconds (I *WILL* break the 55 mins barrier on that this year !!!).

So yes ... I concur - it gets easier ..... and - whilst I've been watching the calorie intake to a huge extent - really consider the running to be the main thing that as contributed to my calorie defecit and which has ultimately saved my life....
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have only just started running in the last 2 and a bit weeks I thought I would hate it as never done it before but I was desperate the exercise classes I usually do are cancelled till sept and as I dontmdrive its hard to fine cheap exercise that I can do close to home but im really glad I did I joined the july running challenge a week late and set my target at 10miles I have already exceeded that and am at 22 and intend to reach 25 before july is out

I tend to run for 5 or 6 days straight then take a rest day
    I do at the moment 2.1miles but sometimes chicken out and just do 1 depends how hard I have pushed myself and howmmany fays I have been running for as my body struggles close to the 6day mark and I know its time for a rest day
    probably run about 9miles in a week as I havent yet managed to do 2miles for a whole week but give me time lol
    no particular brand just my trainers
    I also run in the uk not as close to london as u because I am more on the outskirts in essex but again its just near my home in romford
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Just started running. Aiming for 2 miles a time up to 5k three times a week. I have Brooks and run in Worthing, West Sussex
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Running is pretty much 85% of my exercise (I do *some* resistance training but nowhere near enough).

I've been 312lbs at my heaviest .... and am currently at 210 on this second weighloss journey having put a load back on since losing previously.

In that time, I've run 3 full marathons, a half marathon and amd signed up for 2 more full marathons next year.

As the summer mornings are light, I'm currently getting up mid week on a Monday / Wednesday / Friday at 04:30 and go out running - anything from 5-10km at a time

At weekends, I run on a Sunday morning for a longer run (10-20km).

I'm in the UK - South East and run in the shoes that were specifically fitted for me - Asics road shoes.

At the beginning of this year, I was over 280lbs ... and struggled to do a 5km ..... it would take me around 45 mins.

Now - I'm consistently running it in 26-27.5 mins with a current PB at 10km in 55mins 21seconds (I *WILL* break the 55 mins barrier on that this year !!!).

So yes ... I concur - it gets easier ..... and - whilst I've been watching the calorie intake to a huge extent - really consider the running to be the main thing that as contributed to my calorie defecit and which has ultimately saved my life....

Great story sir! Many congratulations.
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

this is me at the moment - I was just wondering how long it took you to get faster? I run my 5K's in intervals at the moment but am pushing to decrease my walking periods.
  • Lozibeth
    Lozibeth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run?

I run 4 times per week and I'm training for a half marathon in September. I'm following the hal higdon novice 1 program and averaging around 20mi per week at the moment on week 6 out of 12. I usually go to my local Parkrun on Saturday mornings and try to improve my 5k time + I go to local races as much as I can... five 10ks so far this year.

I wear New Balance shoes...580's I think? Super comfy and light weight.

I live in Scotland so I'm lucky to have some beautiful scenery but sometimes the weather isn't so great! I either run near my house just along the pavements or go to the beach or park/country trails.
  • pigiaki
    pigiaki Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i have been running for 5 months but in the beggining i couldn't run for over 15' but i tried and now im able to run for much more.It's all about giving up!You shoyld NEVER give up and concetrate on your achievement
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

Been running for a couple of years now, however in May I was struck with the dreaded runners knee - which lead to six weeks off and physio! Up until then I was running three/four times a week and covering about 10/15 km per week - looking to get back to that and obviously looking after the knees!

How often do you run?
    Currently running twice a week, no further than 1.5km each time, trying to build up strength in my old knees

What running shoes do you wear?
    Im an Aisics girl

Where do you run?
    Im based in Chester, Cheshire (UK) - pre injury I loved running in Delamere Forest and hitting the trails, but currently my routes of choice are flat!

:drinker:
  • liltarn
    liltarn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started running last year never realizing that before long I would be hooked :) I started by running/walking alternate lamp posts for 2km and now run 6.5 km most weekday mornings.

Currently wearing Spalding Tri-lites.

I run in Lower Hutt, New Zealand. It's road running but alongside a river.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I run 3 or 4 times a week for 30 minutes. I'm running a 14 minute mile right now. I've only been running for about three months though.

My shoes are Brooks Ghost 6.

I've been running around my neighborhood, but two weeks ago I joined the local YMCA because it's just getting too hot to run outside. I'll be back to the streets in the fall.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It took me 29 years and 10 months to figure out that running on the balls of your feet makes it more comfortable and makes me hella faster. So now i'm kind of excited about running whereas the previous 29 years I didn't really wanna.

10mph on the treadmill is a fast jog when heel running (for me) but on the balls of my feet 10mph is a medium jog. Pretty cool. Kind of sad I didn't realize this back in HS when i played all kinds of sports.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 lbs so far, and started running 23 lbs into it.

I run 3 days a week - Mon Wed and Fri. My husband runs Tues Thurs and Sat and we both have a rest day Sun. We did the C25K program for 8 weeks and now I'm trying to find the right interval training program for me to continue..

About 2 and a half miles. Working on distance.

Well 2.5 X 3 = 7.5, so I guess I'd have to say 7 and a half miles.

I have a pair of Nikes but I'm not sure they fit right. I'm considering a gait analysis.

I live in Maryland, in a very rural area north of Baltimore. I just run up my street. It's a very long street, and there's not a whole lot of variety when it comes to route - but the scenery is nice. I run past 3 horse farms, a couple of corn fields and a very cool old cemetery.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I run, but it doesn't really help me lose weight - I do it for increased cardio fitness and mental health reasons. It is the only exercise I have ever found that I enjoy long term!

I run 3 times a week, 2 5Ks and 1 10k on weekends. I run pretty slow - about a 10 min/mile pace and even a bit slower on hot days like 11-12 min/mile.

Shoes: I used to wear Saucony Kinvaras but I was getting sore and tight calves. When I recently changed to a more cushioned shoe, the Adidas Boost, that went away. I tried a stint with super minimalist shoes, and I like to wear them occasionally, but I can't wear them all the time.

I live in a Boston suburb and just run around the neighborhood.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    - I run 3 to 4 times a week

- I run anywhere from 1.5 miles to 5 miles, depending on the days goals. Saturdays are my long run (4 to 5 miles) and Sundays are my short run (1.5 miles, but have been running with a friend, so once she feels more comfortable, I'll likely be increasing Sunday distances).

- On average, I run about 10 miles a week.

- Currently I'm running in some really colorful Asics (I think).

- I live in MD, US, south of DC, so I run in my neighborhood during the week, but on Saturdays I run on one of the main highways outside of my neighborhood. Running the entire neighborhood is exactly 5K, so that's all I need during the week. I need the change of scenery for my Saturday runs, though... hence running outside of my neighborhood.
  • scthomas100
    scthomas100 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week. The distance depends on how long I can spend exercising. On my 20-minute days I go between 1-1.3 miles. When I have more time or the weather is nice outside, I'll get up to 3-4 miles easily (not all at a running pace though). Right now I stay indoors on either a treadmill or an indoor track thanks to the humidity and rain in Florida (especially where I am - suburban Tampa), but in the winter I'm outside almost exclusively.

I run 5k's at least once a month during the winter/early spring, and I'm aiming to run a half-marathon by November 2015. My first 5k of the upcoming season is in late September.

I wear Brooks shoes, and I've noticed a huge difference with them. My calves don't get as tight, and my plantar fasciitis doesn't act up as much. I also use post-run compression socks when I'm recovering after a longer run.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

this is me at the moment - I was just wondering how long it took you to get faster? I run my 5K's in intervals at the moment but am pushing to decrease my walking periods.

I just started running this past Spring, a couple weeks ago I ran my first 5k race. I honestly think running hills helped my speed immensely. I started off not being able to run without stopping after every mile, and progressed to completing my 5k with a time of 32:48. I was pretty suprised.

-I run 1-2 times a week, plan on joining a running training group next Spring when they start up again so that will up my mileage.

-I run at least 3 miles each time I run, sometimes more, but I haven't hit that 4 mile mark yet.

-I have Asics shoes, got measured at a running store with the treadmill assessment and all that, and got arch supports. Wow do they make a difference!

-I run in parks around the county I live in mostly. My neighborhood is not safe for running to I gotta take it elsewhere. In the winter I run on the treadmill at my gym.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I statred running back in October to help with my weight loss but found so much more!!!!
    Ive completed a 5k, a 8k and the Law Enforcement Torch Run (7.5miles) for the Special Olympics. Im signed up for 2 mud runs. One is this Saturday. I really want to do a 1/2 marathon just havent committed to training yet :cry: But I have fallen in love with running. I run 4-6 miles 5x a week.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started running about 3 years ago. That first year I weighed 220 and didn't lose a pound, but then again I didn't focus at all on eating less. So that goes to show not only can bigger people run, but exercise alone is NOT the way to lose weight, lol. When I first started my knees really hurt badly. Finally found out I have severe arthritis in both of them, but I kept running and I feel that strengthening the muscles around those joints has made a huge difference. I rarely take pain relievers anymore and my knees rarely bother me during or after a run.

I run 2-3 times a week, usually 3-4 miles.

Shoes at the moment are New Balance. I've always wanted to try barefoot running but I don't wear my glasses while I run and can't really see very well what I might be stepping on. :-)

I live outside Atlanta and run on the Silver Comet Trail, which is a 61-mile long paved trail (used to be a rail line) for runners, bikers, etc. It winds through the woods, goes over bridges and through tunnels, and it's lovely, at least the part of it near my house.