why does exercise add to my suggested calorie intake?

Options
I logged in my exercise this morning and it added to my calorie count. I don't get it. What am I missing?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I logged in my exercise this morning and it added to my calorie count. I don't get it. What am I missing?

MFP wants your calorie deficit to remain the same whether or not you exercise. Exercise increases your calorie deficit, so MFP tells you to eat those calories back.

Most people find that the exercise calorie estimates are very generous. If you do want to eat your exercise calories back as MFP recommends, I'd suggest eating only half to two thirds of them.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Those are the calories that you burn. Some people eat back those calories to keep their deficit the same, but others don't. For example, I only eat mine back if I feel the need to (if I'm hungry after all my pre-planned snacks and meals).
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The initial amount of calories generated by MFP already has a calorie deficiency built into it. When you exercise, you create a bigger deficiency. It is recommended that you eat back some of those calories in order to meet your body’s nutrient requirements for good health. Eating too few calories over a long period of time will negatively affect your metabolism. In addition, you want to make sure you have enough fuel to properly support your workouts.
  • crudd49
    crudd49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a question to add. What if your not hungry. I do Zumba two days a week run 2.2 miles each day the other three days but I am just not hungry. I eat breakfast a snack lunch a snack dinner and then go to bed. What do you do if you still have the deficit?
  • april_recharged
    april_recharged Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I do agree the the calories count for the exercise I logged was a little high. At least I know now what to do. Thanks everyone.
  • april_recharged
    Options
    I have a question to add. What if your not hungry. I do Zumba two days a week run 2.2 miles each day the other three days but I am just not hungry. I eat breakfast a snack lunch a snack dinner and then go to bed. What do you do if you still have the deficit?

This is a good question. I hope there are some responses.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
  • april_recharged
    Options
    Thanks... maybe it should be pinned.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Thanks... maybe it should be pinned.

It's covered here. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069268-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition