Training for First Half Marathon: Advice?

Options
Hey guys,

A bit of Background: In 2013 I trained a bit and ran 4 races, 5k's and one 10k which I puked at the end of :S. Long story short from November 2013 till the June I fell off the wagon, put on weight and started feeling like *kitten*.

I heard about the Niagara Falls Women's 1/2 marathon and am hell bent on finishing it/not puking.

I'm starting with 3/4/6K and slowly adding a K to each day as I get stronger and doing body weight exercises (Just the Call Me Maybe Mighty Squat Challenge until I get a mat, then branching out to try Blogiloties other workouts)

I found out today after hitting the track for the first time since November I have A LOT of work to do! I managed 3k in 27 min keeping well within the races 11min K limit, however I desperately need to build endurance! I need suggestions for this.

As for my weight loss, slowly bit by bit I am getting this :)

The race is in June, any suggestions please advise.

-Meg

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My boss does this half marathon in Niagara and she says it is great. I myself have never done a race but my longest distance is 13K in a little over an hour and a half. If you don't have a belt yet, get one and bring water! Otherwise I would say don't run every day as it is really hard on your legs, 3-5 times a week is enough and space out the days if you can. Stretch a lot before and after! Also, good shoes are a must.

That's just my opinion for increasing distance, but I don't have any actual race experience so interested in what others have to say.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Adding 1km per day is going to get you hurt quickly. They say you should add no more than 10% per week to your current training for running.

I'd suggest googling a couch to half marathon running program, you'll get far better advice from that program than from us.

I was bad, I went from couch to 5 k in a few weeks, hurt my foot and my knee and had to take a break for a few weeks.

I can now run 6.5k and not be tired at the end, I finish 6.5k feeling that I could easily just keep going to 10k, but I know I need to take it easy in order to improve in a healthy way.

Its the same as trying to lose weight by cutting your calories to 500 per day, it just doesn't work. There are no shortcuts.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    My boss does this half marathon in Niagara and she says it is great. I myself have never done a race but my longest distance is 13K in a little over an hour and a half. If you don't have a belt yet, get one and bring water! Otherwise I would say don't run every day as it is really hard on your legs, 3-5 times a week is enough and space out the days if you can. Stretch a lot before and after! Also, good shoes are a must.

That's just my opinion for increasing distance, but I don't have any actual race experience so interested in what others have to say.

Hey :)

Yes I have a hydration belt that holds 3 mini bottles, a pair of cute pink Nike Frees (recommended at a shop after speaking to an associate for a while and I LOVE them!) I also have my ipod which shows distance, steps and time as well as plays music for me.

I am planning on 3 times a week to run, my job is physical so that will be a mini workout in between :D
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Adding 1km per day is going to get you hurt quickly. They say you should add no more than 10% per week to your current training for running.

I'd suggest googling a couch to half marathon running program, you'll get far better advice from that program than from us.

I was bad, I went from couch to 5 k in a few weeks, hurt my foot and my knee and had to take a break for a few weeks.

I can now run 6.5k and not be tired at the end, I finish 6.5k feeling that I could easily just keep going to 10k, but I know I need to take it easy in order to improve in a healthy way.

Its the same as trying to lose weight by cutting your calories to 500 per day, it just doesn't work. There are no shortcuts.

Sorry if I was confusing, I didn't mean per day! I ment per every couple weeks or so, in other words turn my 3/4/6 into 4/5/7 and so on every few weeks.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    oh that race looks like fun.

I would google a training plan or join a running group.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The best way to increase running (aerobic) endurance is to run many miles at an easy, conversational pace. When your aerobic capacity increases, your speed will too. Adding a bit here and there to each of your daily runs is a good tactic, just be sure not to go overboard with it. Listen to your body and take your rest when you need rest. Consistency and specificity in training is key - you're not going to get the desired results by working hard for a week, then taking time off for this and that. And yes, the weight loss will obviously help make you a bit quicker (very difficult to tell exactly how much, but industry standard is 0:02/mi per lb) but it will help alleviate stress on your joints. Your first order of business will be to go to a real running shop (not a big box sporting goods store) and get fitted for shoes and try them out to make sure they work for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Find a beginner training plan and stick to it. Remember to rest. Hydrate. Take your training slow. Think now how you plan to train through the winter.

Was the shop you bought your shoes at a running specific shop or a generic sporting goods store? The knowledge and fittings usually vary greatly between them. What feels like a good shoe now might not on longer runs so don't be afraid to relook your gear as training progresses.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    The best way to increase running (aerobic) endurance is to run many miles at an easy, conversational pace. When your aerobic capacity increases, your speed will too. Adding a bit here and there to each of your daily runs is a good tactic, just be sure not to go overboard with it. Listen to your body and take your rest when you need rest. Consistency and specificity in training is key - you're not going to get the desired results by working hard for a week, then taking time off for this and that. And yes, the weight loss will obviously help make you a bit quicker (very difficult to tell exactly how much, but industry standard is 0:02/mi per lb) but it will help alleviate stress on your joints. Your first order of business will be to go to a real running shop (not a big box sporting goods store) and get fitted for shoes and try them out to make sure they work for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Thank-you kindly :) I have been to the Running Room many times here in town for shoes and to talk to the associates there. They are very kind. My last visit I learned more about why the powerade made me ill (NEVER AGAIN) and learned about the power gels and such. I also picked up a roller for my calves as they have been tight and troublesome.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Find a beginner training plan and stick to it. Remember to rest. Hydrate. Take your training slow. Think now how you plan to train through the winter.

Was the shop you bought your shoes at a running specific shop or a generic sporting goods store? The knowledge and fittings usually vary greatly between them. What feels like a good shoe now might not on longer runs so don't be afraid to relook your gear as training progresses.

We have a few indoor tracks in town which I will be making good use of ^_^

I got my shoes at the running room and will def re think them as time goes on.

I often have to remind myself to drink, again found out the hard way to hydrate :S I will be more mindful of that in the future.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    You have time to build your aerobic base. Skate, run, cycle, ski, swim ... it doesn't have to be all running and more running.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I often have to remind myself to drink, again found out the hard way to hydrate :S I will be more mindful of that in the future.

Make sure you take into account that running on a track is not the same as running on the road. Same with the treadmill. Its definitely a good place to run, but it doesn't replicate the conditions you'll run a race in, so make sure to incorporate some long runs on the roads and sidewalks in your community. Even small hills make a big difference when you're running long distances....you need to train your body so you can overcome these things without difficulty.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options

Make sure you take into account that running on a track is not the same as running on the road. Same with the treadmill. Its definitely a good place to run, but it doesn't replicate the conditions you'll run a race in, so make sure to incorporate some long runs on the roads and sidewalks in your community. Even small hills make a big difference when you're running long distances....you need to train your body so you can overcome these things without difficulty.

Oh yes, HILLS. hate those damn things lol. We are running through the city on some days too, just the winter will have to be the track more often.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Hal Higdon's novice 1 half-marathon plan. (They are free on his website.) That's what I used for my first half. Good luck to you!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Hills are your friend in training. First build a decent aerobic base, then hit the hills .... then find bigger hills ... embrace the suck ....
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Run 3-4 times a week. Make one day a long run. If you can run a 10K, then you can do a half.
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sign yourself up for a clinic with the Running Room. They will get you to the finish line safely. You could sign up for the 10k clinic this fall, and they will likely have an early spring clinic for the half which would give you time for Niagara. (I've always wanted to run that race!) their half marathon clinics are 16 weeks.

I ran my first half with their clinic, ran with the 2:07 pace group, and finished in 2:01. I'm now with them again for halfs # 4 and 5 for a repeat clinic. You will have weekly sessions on nutrition, race strategies, safet, injury prevention etc. You will learn so much, meet a bunch of new people with like-minded goals, and the group runs really hold you accountable to your training.

Just remember slow and steady wins the race. Good luck. While you are running that race, just remember that you will swear to never do it again, but you will fiind yourself planning your next race the following day.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Awesome Thank-you all. Anymore advice/tips/tricks keep em coming!
  • Meghan_odonnell01
    Options
    I just signed up for this run too! I am following the Disney Half Marathon training program. You run three times per week, two days 30 minutes each working on run/walk strategies and speed and then on the weekend do a long run which you are supposed to use your race pace. They emphasize you shouldn't be winded on your long runs, that you are working on building up your cardiovascular strength.

I have hurt myself a lot running in the past over doing it, so I am definitely taking it slow and following the program.

I have heard the Niagara Falls Half Marathon is a good one for beginners, so good luck!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Hal Higdon's novice 1 half-marathon plan. (They are free on his website.) That's what I used for my first half. Good luck to you!

This is what I'm using right now. My first half is on November 2nd. It's a 12 week program but I extended it to 16 weeks to build a better base. I'm in week 3 right now and so far so good! I'm documenting my training on my blog if you're interested. www.jensfreshlife.com. The link to the Hal Higdon training program is http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program