Should I eat back the calories I burn from exercise?

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm just wondering if I can get some advice on if I should eat back the calories I burn from exercise? I'm on a 1500 calorie diet and usually burn between 300-500 calories 4-5 times a week from exercise.. ( Current weight is 135..at 5'3" ) Am i meant to eat those calories back ? I want to lose the weight the right way and keep it off so any advice would help!

Thanks!! : )

Replies

• peacheswi
    peacheswi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is really a personal decision. You will get replies that give you math formulas based on TDEE, etc.
    I found that I ate at a deficit to lose, and then in addition did not eat my exercise calories back in order to lose a little more.
    It is not a lot more loss because you are building muscle.

Also, if you decide to eat your calories back, then do not eat them all. Machines and things like Fitbit all overestimate how many calories you burn.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi - IMO you are at the LOW end of the intake scale if it is GROSS calories of 1500. If you then burn 300 to 500 4 days a week that puts you at around 1,000 calories NET, which fuels your body the rest of the day, for most of your week. At 135 pounds I think that is LOW.

If you have been doing this for a while and nothing is moving, then I would say it isn't working for you. And a change is needed, somewhere, probably an increase in Cals. However,no point in hopping to-and fro so . ..

If you are just starting out at this intake level, best to stick at it for min 2 weeks - be consistent and accurate with logging and monitor results (Daily weight if possible, weekly tape measures adn photos for comparisson). Daily weight will fluctuate, But I average out a week and see the weekly trend as I find this more relaible.

Hope you get it figured out, and it brings the success you desire.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This is really a personal decision. You will get replies that give you math formulas based on TDEE, etc.
    I found that I ate at a deficit to lose, and then in addition did not eat my exercise calories back in order to lose a little more.
    It is not a lot more loss because you are building muscle.

Also, if you decide to eat your calories back, then do not eat them all. Machines and things like Fitbit all overestimate how many calories you burn.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck on your journey!

Nope.....that's not how the body works.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you let MFP calculate your calories for you, you should eat your exercise calories back, because that's how it's designed.

If you used a TDEE calculator, no you probably shouldn't because that's not how it works.

Since you say '1500 calories', it sounds like you pulled that number out of the air. Why not put in your specific information, let one of the calculators give you a good estimate of what you should be eating to reach your goals, and go that route.

Full disclosure: I used MFP and ate back my calories and it worked fine for me. You NEED those calories to let your body burn them in exercise. Otherwise you get hungry, cranky, and tired. Who needs that?