Running

Options

Replies

• bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like this! I've been running 6 years now. Completed 5 marathons, 1 ultra, and countless half marathons and other races. :) Right now I'm at the highest weight I've been as a runner. I only lose weight when I watch my food and haven't been doing so well on that side of things. Running both allows me to be able to eat as much as I do and acts as an "excuse" to overeat...it sucks...

- How often do you run?
    - How far, on average, do you run each time?
    - How far do you run a week, on average?
    - What running shoes do you wear? (X Country or Minimal etc. / Brand?)
    - Where do you run? (Location in the world and then specifically where!)

I run 5-6 days a week.

Each run right now is anywhere from 3-10 miles. I just started training for the NYC marathon, running 25-30 miles per week.

I wear the Brooks Adrenaline most days, been in them for 2 years now. Just added the Adidas Sequence Boost and Hoka Conquest to my rotation.

I run in Arlington, VA, US. We are so lucky to have so many running paths and the National Mall at our disposal!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more time for running. :( my other training routines takes a hour out of my everyday and leaves probably once a week for running, unfortunately. But I guess I am more a impulsive runner, per se. my first road run was 8 miles without preparation nor training. LOL

i started out with brooks running shoes but now i really love my Vivobarefoot pure or EVO lite. I can't run in other shoes because they feel so clunky and pinch my big toes.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Currently I am training for a half marathon, so I run 3-4 times a week averaging between 3 to 5 miles on the weekday runs and then a long run on Saturday, increasing a mile each week.

I actually switch out my shoes, depending on the type of run, I have Nike Lunars (Speedwork/interval runs & working them into my long runs), Brooks Pure Endurance (tempo runs or short reg runs), and Saucony Guides (long runs). Love my Lunars!

I live in VA Beach, VA so I run near the ocean, near my home, or on the trails. I try to have variety in my runs! I get bored pretty quickly with workouts so variety is necessary to keep me focused!! I run (or workout) early in the morning before work and kids.

At first I hated running, but kept trying and now I LOVE it! I had an injury a couple of month back and I just felt miserable because I could not run!
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    - I run around 5 times a week.
    - The least is 2.5km, the most is 8km, on average I would say 5km a day.
    - I think between 10-20km
    - I wear Nike Free Runs.
    - I run on a concrete track and an outdoor dirt track in rural Thailand.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run?
    Only on the weekends right now since I'm doing a M-Fri fitness program.
    Between 3 and 6 miles.
    Before I started my program I was running 20 miles a week.
    Asics Gel Nimbus
    San Diego, CA. I live near a lake in a hilly area. Its 1 mile to the lake, one lap around is another mile and then a mile home. That's my minimum.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Running: no real special equipment needed, no membership fees, just lace up and go.

And it works. Very well, indeed. I started at 283. I literally ran down to 210 (with some bumps along the way).

I run 3-5 days a week
    I run at least 5 K each time
    I try to average at least 40 K during training, 32 K during maintenance
    I wear Nike Free Run (currently flykints) on the road, Vibram Spyridon MR on the trail
    I run in and around Hermitage, TN, Cool Springs (Franklin) TN and East Nashville
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this year, I was over 280lbs ... and struggled to do a 5km ..... it would take me around 45 mins.

this is me at the moment - I was just wondering how long it took you to get faster? I run my 5K's in intervals at the moment but am pushing to decrease my walking periods.

Surprisingly it hasn't taken that long ..... End of January I was running around 15 mins per mile ...... by April, at around 12:30 mins .... and now I can do around 8:30 at a push for 1-2 miles but can carry a 9min mile for a good 5-6 miles at a time.

All I've been doing is running 3 times a week .... Jan-end of May on the treadmill at the gym (5km at a time) .... and since then I've been running outside (much more fun!!).

The treadmill was good training : I used to get on it .... run hard for as long as I could at a speed of 8-9km/h and then take 1-2 min walk breaks at a speed of 6 .... then take it up again. By the end of the 5km, I'd typically have averaged from 8.3km/h - 8.5km/h.

I therefore practiced by completing the entire distance at 8.1km/h on the Monday .... at 8.2km/h on the Wednesday ... and 8.3km/h on the Friday. Whilst there was always the temptation to want to stop for breaks, I kept at it to push through both the monotony and the cardiovascular limitations at the time.

I gradually increased it again and managed up to around 9.4km/h average on the treadmill in April. I was good training for the marathon too as those latter miles from 18-26.2 can feel like drudgery !!!

The weightloss over the time has helped too..... I read somewhere that every 1lbs loss is equivalent to a 2 second improvement in pace per mile. I've lost 77 lbs which I guess is roughly a 2mins 24second improvement in pace
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run?
    3-4 times a week

approx. 4 miles, I'm working up to 5 miles. I've signed up for an 8K race in March so I've got awhile to work on it :)
    I started back running again after taking 5 years off to have 3 babies!
    My goal is to finish the 8K in 45 minutes.

Asics GT 2000

when it's hot outside, I run inside on a treadmill
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run?

I run every day I have a chance (4-6 days/week), usually 3mi/5k at a time (sometimes less, sometimes I go for another mile).
    I think I run a total of ~15mi/25k every week.

Running shoes? Not fancy--seriously, some deeply discounted $35 running shoes from a discount store.

Where? A beautiful, fully paved nature trail along the river behind my house. I used to complain about this trail when they built it (all the "traffic" going through my back yard). Now I really feel blessed to have access to a safe, well lit, well groomed nature trail in my city. Once the school year starts again, my Uni also has miles of paved trails for running.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love running, too! Ultimate stress relief.

I run 3x per week (stronglifts on the 3 days after)
    I'm actually not sure how far, but always a minimum of 30 minutes
    No idea of the exact make, but they're green Reebok's and they make my feet happy :laugh:
    I live in Amman so there's a lot of hills and heat, so I run at a gym. A really fancy gym. That has free hot chocolate >_>
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just started running - starting week 8 of a C25K program on Friday.

- How often do you run?

Every other day.

3-4 mi. (run/walk since it's C25K)

9 - 12 mi. (run/walk since it's C25K)

Performance shoe, minimal drop. Needed it because the 'normal' running shoe was causing me to develop Jumper's Knee. I wear Saucony Kinvara 5 in eye-searing orange, a color other gym members can't seem to keep from commenting about.

Texas, USA. Usually on my gym's indoor track 'cause I hate the heat, sometimes on a concrete running trail near my home neighborhood, and on the weekend around my parents' neighborhood (I visit them regularly).
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 70 lbs and have 40ish to go for my initial goal in the past 6 months. I started by walking and when that became too easy around April I started to run.

- How often do you run?
    4 days a week

I follow a training plan from Endomondo. Right now I am averaging 4mi each time.

About 16 mi of course it is depending on the training plan.

New Balance 890v4

Around my neighborhood in Houston, Texas. Yes in the heat and humidity because in the end heat and humidity is just an excuse I choose to no longer make.
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run?

~Running 3x a week (M,W,F) pre-dawn because its warm and muggy here
    ~Averaging around 2miles atm- I'm a Very new runner. :) (I'm extremely happy when I beat a 12min mile!)
    ~2x3=6. Slowly increasing my distance with each run... sometimes that means .1 miles more though lol
    ~No special running gear atm- I have some Merrils that are comfortable for me so far.
    ~I currently live in Alabama. I run close to home: I have three dogs that I alternate each run with (because I do not have the death wish that all three together would require) and we go up and down the road in front of our house on the outskirts of town. Semi rural.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run? lately I've been running 6 days a week
    - How far, on average, do you run each time? between 2 and 5 miles (mornings after lifting are tough on my legs so less those days)
    - How far do you run a week, on average? 18 - 30 miles a week
    - What running shoes do you wear? (X Country or Minimal etc. / Brand?) Brooks Glycerin 12 before that was Brooks Pure Cadence
    - Where do you run? (Location in the world and then specifically where!) United States - Alabama usually around my neighborhood but also go to any of the local greenways

I've lost around 46 lbs, but I run for fitness and track my calories to lose weight.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ~I currently live in Alabama. I run close to home:

I'm in Northern AL how about you?

ETA: just looked at your profile, we are not too far from each other
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run?

I'm training for my first half marathon and I'm in week 3 of 16, so mileage is starting on verrrry slowly! I'm terrified of getting injured.

- I run 3X per week. For cross training I go to spin classes, swim laps, and cardio dance classes
    - Right now I'm running 3 miles on Tues/Thurs early mornings and my long run is on Saturdays. It will be 4 miles this week.
    - Average about 10 miles/week right now.
    - I just retired my Brooks Ghost 6 and got fitted for Adidas Supernova Glide 6. They are AMAZING, which is why I passed on getting the Brooks Ghost 7. Highly recommended for neutral runners with strong arches.
    - I am in Dallas, TX and I'm lucky enough to have a park about a 3 min walk from my house that has a 1 mile paved loop.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I found my love for running about 14 months ago. Since then, I have completed numerous 5Ks, a handful of 10Ks and am now training for my first half marathon scheduled at the end of August. Growing up, I HATED running! I played fastpitch softball and truely believe that is what I was put on Earth to do... When I started having children and looking for something to replace the feeling of my feet on the mound, I didn't find anything that even held a candle to softball. Then I took up running just as a challenge (I'm SUPER competitive. Especially with myself!). I quickly began to LOVE it and have finally found that equal sense of belonging as I got from softball. So, in answer to your questions:

- How often do you run?
    *I currently run 6 days a week.
    * My maintenance runs are currently at 4 miles but upping to 5 miles the last half of this week. Averaged out with my long runs, I probably run almost 6 miles each time.
    * I'm at 32 miles this week and next week is 36.
    *I wear some Nikes... drawing a blank on which Nikes but they are light, very cushioned and make feel light when I run.
    *I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah. I most often hit the Jordan River Trail by my house for my runs. If I don't have any choice, I will hit the treadmill on the 'random' setting to mimic outdoor running.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    - How often do you run?

1. I run 3 times a week. Weight lift 3 days, and rest one day.
    2. Various, depending on training. Right now, 2 days are 6-7 miles, the other is 3-4 miles.
    3. Trying to get my average back into 25-30 miles a week, but right now it's at 15-20 miles/week. I played football for 6 months this year, so playing catch up after inconsistent running due to that.
    4. Saucony Cohesion series works perfectly for my gait (neutral to slight under-pronate).
    5. I live in Texas and spend a lot of my running time at one of the city's major parks with various trails.

I took up running in January 2013. It's not a weight-loss thing for me, but a fitness goal. Fell in love with it. I've progressed from using the C25K program to get started into running races of lengths from 5k up to half-marathons. I love it as a sport.
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in Northern AL how about you?

ETA: just looked at your profile, we are not too far from each other
    [/quote]

I'm a transplant from Wisconsin and have been appreciating that the last few summers here have been mild. Humidity just should not be an issue at 5am! Hard for a newbie to run when it feels like I'm breathing water. ;) Makes me feel better about my mini- accomplishments though.
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    A year ago I HATED running. But just after my 51st b-day last year (September) I started a C25K with a local running club. I did great, I even did a Holiday Streak (running a mile everyday from Thanksgiving though to New Years. I even started training for a 1/2 marathon. Before I started running (Sep '13) I couldn't even run a mile without walking, when I stopped mid Feb '14 (due to a back injury) I was up to 18 miles a week, with my longest run without stopping was 6 miles.
    My wife showed mew a picture of me about the time I quit running..... I must say I liked what I saw. So, with all of that being said, I've started lacing up my running shoes!!!! Can't wait to get my endurance back. I was healthier, I wasn't tired, my clothes fit better.

- How often do you run? Starting back 3 times, but right now I wouldn't really call it "running"
    - How far, on average, do you run each time? 1 to 1.5 miles, getting back into it... as of Monday.
    - How far do you run a week, on average? Well...... none before last week
    - What running shoes do you wear? (X Country or Minimal etc. / Brand?) Brooks, Endurance
    - Where do you run? (Location in the world and then specifically where!) Short (0.7miles) track near the high school.