What fruits and veggies am I missing out on?

Options
kmalacho
kmalacho Posts: 16 Member
For breakfast I usually have a smoothie with loads of spinach, some strawberries, blueberries and banana. Lunches are often salads with cukes, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, romaine lettuce or hummus with bell peppers, carrots, and squash. I'll also bring a small portion of fruit for lunch - could be grapes, blueberries, peaches, strawberries. Dinners include portions of grilled asparagus, or stir fry with portabella mushrooms, peppers, onions, squash, and carrots, or sauteed green beans. (Note, there are also carbs and proteins in the meals that I'm not mentioning in this list since I'm specifically looking for tips on fruits and veggies. My diary is open if you want to check it out.)

I feel like I get a really nice variety of fruits and veggies, but I'm looking to expand my horizons. Are there any fruits and veggies I should stock up on at the grocery store tonight? Any dishes that features fruits and veggies you can't believe I'm missing?

Replies

• thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    well, sounds like you've gotten a load of veggies there, I also like spaghetti squash, and brussel spouts
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the fruit and veg i eat most are:

mushrooms, red pepper, apples, grapes, cherries (in season), broccoli, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, sweet potato, ETA spinach!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I like Kiwi fruit which are great for Vit C. And I can chow down on a Mango and Black bean salsa.

For veggies, I would say butternut squash and brussel sprouts (roasted are great).
  • jamie3j
    jamie3j Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is my fave veggie! When I am short on time, I buy the pre-chopped broccoli florets (usually found near the bagged salad). You just pop it in the microwave and the broccoli steams in the bag. All I add usually is some salt and pepper, but sometimes I sprinkle some parmesan cheese as well. Target also has frozen broccoli that is a individual serving in each bag that you just throw in the microwave as well.

Lately I have been adding pico de gallo to a lot of stuff! Even salads for a little kick and it makes chicken breasts a little less boring. Again, you can usually find this pre-chopped in the deli or produce area, and even the farmer's market sometimes.

Add avocado to your salad, or slice one up as a snack! You can also just add to chicken or lean steak for dinner to change it up a little.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    perhaps a dark cabbage? Mango is really nice. Asparagus for a really different flavour.

sweet potato microwaves quite quickly as an alternative to regular baked spud.

oh I se you put asparagus!! :tongue:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Kohlrabi is one of my favorites. Peel it and then slice it and eat it raw. It tastes a bit like cabbage (it's in the same family though it does't look like cabbage) and a bit like a very mild radish.
  • mchammer73
    mchammer73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is spinach+red onion+roasted beets+orange segments+almonds+feta cheese. Don't eat the awful beets from a can - just roast them in the oven (skin on) at 400F for about an hour in a foil packet with a little olive oil. Let them cool in the packet until you can touch them, then the peels come right off (your hands will get pink!).

On the hot veg side, I love to oven roast cauliflower chunks (again 400F oven) tossed in olive oil, italian seasoning & garlic powder. Keep an eye on them until they start to get brown & crispy around the edges and are fork-tender, about 15-20 mins depending on how big the chunks are. I usually flip/toss them half way thru so they cook evenly. I love this as a pasta replacement - just throw some marinara and a dash of parm cheese on top and you are good to go!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you are really looking for something new and unusual, try grape leaves. You stuff them with rice and ground beef then roll them and cook them. Packed with a lot of fiber, protein, vitamin A and magnesium. Scour the net where to find them and how to prepare them and you will not regret it.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like to go the my local asian market or flea market to see what I can find. You can find things like rambutan, jackfruit or dragon fruit and see how you like that.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is in season in a major way! Plus, Gina over at skinnytaste just posted 35 zucchini recipes.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search?updated-max=2014-07-13T10:29:00-04:00&max-results=6

Also, if you are looking for something fast you can't go wrong with the bags of broccoli slaw or cabbage slaw. I make them into salads, stir fry, and all sorts of things without having to chop them up. Huge time saver.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good variety already, but here are some other ideas:

Fruit: cherries, oranges, apples, plums, blackberries, raspberries, pears, avocado, figs, melon, pineapple, mango, raisins

Veg: bok choy, broccoli, collard greens, kale, celery, artichoke, cauliflower, peas (shelled, sugar snap, snow), leeks or shallots, potato, sweet potato, daikon, radishes
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Veggies I love love loe: radishes, daikon, chard, eggplant, zucchini.

I really like getting together eggplant, zucchini, onion, and feta. Prepare the eggplant like normal (salt, dry, pat, etc) as discs. Then dip each slice/paint each slice with light Italian dressing. Layer 1 deep on a roasting pan in the oven. Top with thin slices of zucchini and thick cut onion with a sprinkle of feta. I always wing the cook time and move the eggplants around a little with a spatula halfway through.

Is garlic technically a veg? Eat more garlic. All the time. Always.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Eggplant

Mango

Lychee

Watermelon

Cauliflower

And... Fennel Bulbs. Make thin slices and add lemon juice, salt+pepper. It's a very interesting vegetable.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Fruit - pineapple, mango and pomegrante.

Veggies - broccoli, red onion, baby corn, mangetout, sugar snap peas, kale, pak choy.

Nom nom nom!
  • kmalacho
    kmalacho Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a new list of things to add to my diet!