What makes Herba-life Different??

Options
naishadr
naishadr Posts: 8 Member
My friend lost nearly 70lbs on Herbalife... He rant and raves about the products... But most have caffine, which I cannot take.

So, I'm kinna left with the water pills and shakes...

So, what makes Herba-life shakes so different than the GNC brand shakes??

Replies

• teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    they are a waste of money, that is the only difference
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Save your money. Eat regular food and monitor your calorie intake. You'll lose weight, and you won't put it back on afterward.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    they are a waste of money, that is the only difference

^ QFT
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Nothing is different about Herbalife. It's just another gimmick.

Weight loss is achieved through a caloric deficit… calories in < calories out.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I tried that Herbal life crap way back in 2000. Just made me sick to my stomach! I've lost weight - eating good foods and exercising! Whoa! BOOM, just blew my own mind! LOL
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Other than having citations for making false claims, not a thing.

Stick to the GNC ones.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't rely on "shakes" and gimmicky diet foods. You might keep a few around as emergency rations when something happens and you need something quick and mindless because you won't have real food at hand. But they shouldn't be a normal part of your plan.

You need a sustainable loss and maintenance plan that does not enslave you to a particular product for success. The goal of weight loss products like shakes is to make money for investors. They want you to be dependent upon your product to lose or maintain your weight, because this guarantees their income stream.

You are better off struggling and flailing around until you find the combination of real foods that works for you, that you can maintain the rest of your life without loyalty to any company's product, just loyalty to yourself.
  • luna323
    luna323 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My friend is the same way with Herbalife. It worked for her but that is because she was not eating properly to begin with (1 meal a day) She went from a size 16 to a size 4. I tried Herbalife and all of the added products. Lost absolutely nothing except a lot of money. :( Now I am on my fitness pal and trying to do weight loss the right way.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You basically just starve yourself
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    GNC doesn't have reps pushing their stuff everywhere.... and I mean everywhere, to anyone.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    He lost weight using Herbalife because it put him in a position where he was consuming fewer calories than his body needed. Nothing makes Herbalife different, it is just as much of a money-sinker as any other weight loss supplement/meal replacement/what-have-you. I've lost 50lbs after getting an estimate of how many calories my body needs and then eating less than that. By monitoring my caloric intake, I am free to enjoy any foods that I like in moderation, I won't spend money on supplements and I'm even saving money by planning my meals ahead of time. I will be much more likely to keep my weight off than your braggart friend with his Herbalife. What happens when he reaches his goal weight and goes back to eating real foods again? He hasn't learned how to have a healthy relationship with real food by drastically cutting calories with Herbalife. Has he been successful with weight loss through Herbalife? Clearly, yes, seeing as he's lost 70lbs. But will he be successful while maintaining his new weight? Doubtful. I hope it works out for him, but the statistics are not in his favor.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What makes them different is that they're part of a pyramid scheme. Your friend is paid to promote the products. He must also try to recruit other people to sell the products.

You don't need any shakes, water pills, or other nonsense to lose weight. Eat real food, just less.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The price. Save your money and make your own shakes.
  • kwatson28
    kwatson28 Posts: 31
    Options
    I tried it for a couple weeks. I found that I was starving more. So when it came time to eat, I ate a lot. I see plenty of people with success, but I can't validate having two shakes as a meal replacer. I didn't lose much at all. Maybe a pound or so. Now I'm going about things the right way and I'm still not losing anything. May be time to visit a doctor.

All in all, don't do it. It's a waste of money. And it's awfully expensive. I'd rather talk to a nutritionist than someone who has been relying on products and paid enough money to be a distributor. One went to school and paid a lot of money for a degree. The other paid a lot of money and know little about nutrition.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    GNC doesn't pay people to post multiple threads a day here about their ****ty products. Herbalife does.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Its Expensive and not necessary to meet goals. You can save the money and buy food from the supermarket instead.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your friend didn't lose 70 lbs because of Herbalife, he lost it because he ate at a calorie deficit. You can achieve similar results by using different supplements or shakes, or without using anything at all.

Herbalife and similar weight-loss miracles are so popular because a lot of people have problems believing that they can lose weight without external assistance. It's easier to believe in someone/something else than it is to believe in yourself - you have to be so much more accountable!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ...hasn't learned how to have a healthy relationship with real food....

I've just recently figured that out. And now i'm in the learning process.

Your comment was spot on, but that particular snippet... i am so embarrassed that it has taken me this long to figure the necessity of mindful eating!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ...hasn't learned how to have a healthy relationship with real food....

I've just recently figured that out. And now i'm in the learning process.

Your comment was spot on, but that particular snippet... i am so embarrassed that it has taken me this long to figure the necessity of mindful eating!

I wouldn't be embarrassed loads of people in the same boat.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great paddle for that boat...