Weightloss Supplements - Are they worth it

Options
I am into week 2 of my weight loss journey and I heard a commercial on the radio that was peddling some sort of weightloss supplement. Currently, I am not taking anything, however, this commercial got me thinking that maybe I should look into them. I would still continue with proper eating and going to the gym as I do now. I just want to know if there are supplements out there that work and if they are worth taking as an addition to everything else.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No, they are a waste of money and potentionally dangerous.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Even if they do work for you. Once you quit taking them you will more than likely gain back any losses and usually more. Better to eat healthy and excercise and shoot for a deficit.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, no.

A multivitamin is fine as insurance in case you don't get all your nutrients in a given day.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Simple. No.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    No, they are a waste of money and potentionally dangerous.

Exercise and calorie deficit is free
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have used Oxy elite pro with great success. I also was at the gym 5 times a week but now I'm doing it the natural way and it's not working out as well. With those pills I did gain the weight back all at once 2 years later, but that was due to a family member being sick and I was always on the road and couldn't eat as healthy. I've also had friends take different kinds and they lost weight and gained it back shortly after they stopped. I guess it just works differently for everybody.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Not at all. My boyfriend took some pills he heard advertised on the radio for weight loss and ended up at the cardiologist. Oh, plus he didn't lose any weight and spent $25 on them.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If you ever find a legal and non prescription drug that doesn't say "blah blah blah....with proper diet and exercise" on the bottle then let the rest of the world know that you found a miracle pill.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    No, and they can absolutely be dangerous. My mom got severe heart palpitations and nearly ended up in the hospital. I am pretty sure supplements aren't regulated by the FDA and the potential side effects can be incredibly harmful.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    No non-prescription drug or dietary supplement has been shown to work by unbiased research. The few prescription drugs that may work are laden with side effects and may be linked to VLCD (very low calorie diets) that should only be undertaken under the direction and close observation of a physician.

Consider this article: https://www.cspinet.org/nah/articles/weight-loss_supplements.html

If you look for the true science on any magic weight loss potions you will find similar results. Save your money. Eat well but control how much you eat and move more.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    No. My brother tries every new pill they advertise and always ends up gaining more weight. He is super morbidly obese and even watching me lose weight the healthy way he still is looking for a magic pill :'(
  • BigB0824
    BigB0824 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am glad I asked the question because I was going to go check it out. The store that was advertising them was Complete Nutrition which I believed to be a reputable place which was why I was wondering if I was missing something.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    I am glad I asked the question because I was going to go check it out. The store that was advertising them was Complete Nutrition which I believed to be a reputable place which was why I was wondering if I was missing something.

It's a business, and they'll peddle whatever to make money. I know a lot of people who have tried diet pills...over and over again. They're all still fat.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't a pill on the market that will burn fat or teach you accountability.

Weight loss Supplements = Blah!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Most of them will raise your blood pressure.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The only one that's worth anything (and it's cheap too) is Glucomannan. It's a fiber that is also used to thicken food. It's awesome, it BLOWS UP in your stomach before you eat and you feel so full. Also, I swear, it carries some of your food through the digestive system and your body doesn't digest it. I lost so much weight on it. But I can't take it anymore because it reduces the amount of medicine that gets absorbed of a medication I am supposed to take. If you ever decide to try it, follow all of the safety warnings about drinking enough water and not laying down for at least 30 minutes to prevent choking.

Edit: Oh, and only take the capsules, not tablets. And don't take it if you are on a prescription medication.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    The only one that's worth anything (and it's cheap too) is Glucomannan. It's a fiber that is also used to thicken food. It's awesome, it BLOWS UP in your stomach before you eat and you feel so full. Also, I swear, it carries some of your food through the digestive system and your body doesn't digest it. I lost so much weight on it. But I can't take it anymore because it reduces the amount of medicine that gets absorbed of a medication I am supposed to take. If you ever decide to try it, follow all of the safety warnings about drinking enough water and not laying down for at least 30 minutes to prevent choking.

Edit: Oh, and only take the capsules, not tablets. And don't take it if you are on a prescription medication.

Well doesn't that sound lovely.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well doesn't that sound lovely.

LOL, true, but as long as you're careful with it it really can help. It's just fiber. Almost all fiber supplements, even benefiber, have that warning label on them, you can choke if you don't drink enough water.