Biking to work and sweat.

Options
I am a teacher and started my diet over the summer. I have lost 20 pounds but I am still pretty big and still not in the greatest job. I got a new job teaching 2 miles from my home, so I decided I would bike to work from now on. However, a practice run left me in sweat. Florida adds to it as well. I am worried I will smell to my students and co-workers. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you are biking to work. When I rode my bike to school, it was about 3 miles each way. Fortunately, I went to work out at the rec center where there were showers and I got to clean up before going to class. If you don't have this option, it may be worth packing some hand towels (to wet and wipe yourself off), deodorant and an extra change of clothes to freshen up in the restroom or school locker room before classes.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    Fully agree with what the above poster was saying about the towel so you can wet it, deodorant, and a change of clothes. If you don't have access to showers than it is the best option because it certainly is damn hot out here in florida lol.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bay wipes/wet wipes also work a treat for freshening up without a shower. Can you bike in in your workout clothes, change, freshen up and do hair/makeup at work and then change again before you go home? Is there somewhere you can keep all the necessary provisions at work? Makes things easier

ETA: since you're a guy makeup won't be an issue (I think)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Wear workout (ie wicking) clothes while riding and change into your work clothes at work.

Would I be correct in guessing your school doesn't have showers?
  • koaliebear195
    koaliebear195 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Change of clothes, deodorant and a towel!
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree with change of clothes, deodorant and a small towel. Do you put your stuff in a back pack or do you have a rack or basket? When use a back pack, I'm much sweatier than if my stuff is on my rack. Another tip for you. Biking is such great exercise.
  • jamesdeamara
    jamesdeamara Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I generally carry all my stuff in a backpack.

I am unsure if this school as a shower (it is a smaller middle school). That seems like an interesting option, but changing so many times a day seems very intense.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes to baby wipes/wet wipes. I bike to work (3 miles) and I use them. Works great. Course, I don't have to smell fabulous since I work at a zoo...
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bring lots of plastic bags to keep wet clothes in. Wet towel, dry towel to freshen up and the your usual toiletries applied. To minimize wrinkles in your school attire, roll your clothes rather than fold. I only roll my clothes when I pack for travel.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I, too, live in FL so I can sympathize. When you did your practice run to work did you do it at the same time as you will be going to work when school starts? I know some teachers who get there before or as the sun comes up and that might make a difference. Two miles isn't so bad and shouldn't take that long. Maybe slow it down just a little to not sweat so much?!?! If that doesn't work, remember that it won't always be this bad and from November through March will be ok. :smile:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Personally I think a shower would be quite necessary along with a complete change of clothes. No substitute for either would do.

Hands down the narrowest mindest person on MFP.

ETA: Read this. I've done it. it works great.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/308/how-to-clean-up-at-work-after-a- commute

Also, read through all the comments. There are updates and extra suggestions in there.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I bike 8 miles to work, I’m fortunate I don’t sweat much in the morning in Nebraska. Changing my T-shirt is all I do if I sweat enough though. I change into shorts when I go home.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Excellent tips here especially in the faq:

http://theruncommuter.com/

I round trip run commute. I have the benefit of a shower and i do carry 2 outfits with me, work clothes and clean running clothes. My rt commute is 9 miles!

I think bike commuting is great too! You need to do it! I see bike commuters on my run, they carry stuff in saddle bags.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It might be cool enough in the mornings to ride two miles without working up a big sweat. If you don't want to make a habit of changing clothes every morning, at least keep an "emergency kit" in your classroom with a clean work outfit and deodorant, so it's there if you need it.

In Florida, we also have the fun of unexpected rain showers, so you've got two different ways to potentially arrive at work wet!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I had an answer until you said Florida.

Before I moved I lived 2 miles from my job. I used to walk there in about 35-40 minutes. But Florida, yikes, that's another story. I mean New York summers suck but you're in the last gate of hell, man!

But, here's the annoying answer. Ride in a t-shirt you don't mind sweating up, bring a pack of baby wipes, deodorant and your work shirt, and get there early enough to wipe down the sweat. That's what I would do when I rode as well. The ride will only take 20 minutes at most. If you are a public school teacher, you will be riding in the morning, which is much better.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Bring lots of plastic bags to keep wet clothes in. Wet towel, dry towel to freshen up and the your usual toiletries applied. To minimize wrinkles in your school attire, roll your clothes rather than fold. I only roll my clothes when I pack for travel.

I do that with my pants! Works like a charm.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Personally I think a shower would be quite necessary along with a complete change of clothes. No substitute for either would do.

Hands down the narrowest mindest person on MFP.

ETA: Read this. I've done it. it works great.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/308/how-to-clean-up-at-work-after-a- commute

Also, read through all the comments. There are updates and extra suggestions in there.

WORD on the parochial mind, dude! Seriously.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I had an answer until you said Florida.

Before I moved I lived 2 miles from my job. I used to walk there in about 35-40 minutes. But Florida, yikes, that's another story. I mean New York summers suck but you're in the last gate of hell, man!

Florida's not THAT bad. :)

I regularly go on 4-6 mile rides at lunchtime, even during Florida summers, and I get sweaty but not drenched. I can go back to my desk without feeling like I must shower first.

Of course, I work from home. That helps.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Are you biking to work in your work clothes? :huh: If you are then why not bike to work in bike shorts and a tee shirt, bring your work clothes with you and then do a "wash up" in the bathroom. Find a spot to hang your sweaty clothes, change back into them for your ride home.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I generally carry all my stuff in a backpack.

I am unsure if this school as a shower (it is a smaller middle school). That seems like an interesting option, but changing so many times a day seems very intense.

lulz- it's not that bad seriously.

try riding a motorcycle.

On Monday's- If I ride- and I have- but I prefer not to for the clear- obvious following reason:
    change at home
    ride to work
    change at work
    do work son
    change
    ride to gym
    change
    Do more work son
    change
    ride to dance studio
    change
    do more work
    change
    ride home
    change
    shower
    change
    WAY to much work for one day- I try to limit moto commuting to only 2/4 changes.

Only having ONE stop for the day-
    Ride to work
    change
    work
    change
    ride home
    change
    is easy peasy lemon squeezey.

always have a change of clothes- you never know when you might get stuck sweating youre behind off when you werent' expecting it.
    Baby wipes are the best thing EVER invented- I keep them at home- and at work. Seriously- best.thing.ever.

also
    this comment- off the site linked
    One, and this may seem odd, but cool down before you change. If you can hang out in what you rode in on for like, 15 minutes, you can avoid immediately sweating into the clothes you've just changed into. For me, I've got a regular morning call so I show up 10 minutes before that, get through the 10 minute conference call and THEN go change. Even in summer by the time I do I'm no longer creating more sweat. There's nothing worse than changing your clothes in the bathroom only to notice your back is still sweaty 10 minutes later onto the shirt you carefully rolled up in your pannier.

is MONEY- seriously- I can't tell you how many times I accidental was late- changed to fast and then proceeded to sweat balls through my work clothes- awful.

a nice cool down walk is helpful- and I don't even pedal- I ride a motorcycle.