Oatmeal (instant maple brown sugar)

Options
So how does oatmeal equate into all of this? I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Are the carbs going to hinder me from dropping weight, although im still counting towards my calorie goal.

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Oatmeal is the bee's knees.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Why would oatmeal hinder your weight loss?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Carbs will not hinder weight loss if you remain under your calorie goal. You should try and get adequate protein and fat however for optimal health and body composition. Why would you want to eat only Oatmeal? Also, regular oatmeal is way better than instant and you can make it in the microwave in 2 minutes.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I eat so much oatmeal! I love it! :D
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you keep within your calories limit then you'll be fine but watch the sodium. I prefer to chew on a piece of tire rubber than give up sodium but just know a high content of sodium will hold water weight. I eat instant oatmeal and drink plenty of water/liquids to flush out the extra sodium.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is great and full of fiber! Go ahead and eat it! :bigsmile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What kshadows said.

Carbs are a macronutrient. They don't make people gain weight. Eating too much of all the foodz makes people gain weight.

Also an all oatmeal diet might sound good but wow that'd get boring after a while and lead to major malnourishment in the other macros (protein, fat). Eat everything you like in moderation and be happy and healthy! :drinker:
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You'll still lose if you eat at a deficit. You might want to look into making your own though to cut down on some of the sugar. You could do overnight oats.
  • petrulak
    petrulak Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning!
  • thedollphin
    Options
    You can add coconut oil so it'll taste better..
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    theoatmealartist.com :love:
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Quaker has a lower sugar instant oatmeal that is good and 120 calories. Had some last night with dinner. The older we get the more fiber the better! :drinker:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I just had oatmeal for lunch, so no, it doesn't hinder a thing.

http://thesproutingseed.com/apple-pie-baked-oatmeal/

You're all welcome.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    The idea of oatmeal doesn't sound too bad, but the 'instant maple brown sugar' part sounds like diabetes packaged up in a convenient to-go pouch.
  • nathesfly
    nathesfly Posts: 11
    Options
    It's funny you say that because I have really learned to like coconut oil :)
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. I don't buy the packets anymore. I moved over to regular oats and I add in flavoring. I have to watch my carb intake (pre-diabetic at one point), but my nutritionist is okay with real oatmeal. It is fuel for my day.
  • nathesfly
    nathesfly Posts: 11
    Options
    That's what I like about it, I get sustained energy--fiber doesn't hurt either
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I find that oatmeal is a great part of my diet. But, I choose "real" slow cook oatmeal or better still steel cut oats, rather than the instant stuff. For me, breakfast needs to be filling, and keep me going til snack or lunch. A little packet of sugary instant stuff isn't going to do that. A nice bowl of slow cook oats or steel cut oats, or overnight refrigerator oats with some nuts and maybe some raisins will. Much more fiber. Much more filling. Better for me all around.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just had oatmeal for lunch, so no, it doesn't hinder a thing.

http://thesproutingseed.com/apple-pie-baked-oatmeal/

You're all welcome.
    is it creepy to say i love you so soon?