NSV - My first 5K ever, versus the undead!

Options
impromark
impromark Posts: 119 Member
A year ago I could have run a basic 5K, being a treadmill junkie for most of my fitness journey to date. This however was a different kind of 5K... Not only were there mazes, fences, mudpits and various other obstacles, but there were hordes of zombies out to eat my brains... Yup, this was a Zombie Survivor race, and it was awesome! Picture gallery SHOULD be visible here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152151415595807.1073741850.551330806&type=1&l=057e5103d6

I can't say I did too much training specifically for this one, however for the week before the run I exchanged the treadmill for runs outside - and man is that a different experience! My workout video circuit coincidentally was in the "strength" month (thank you T25) and I'm sure that was an asset too.

Ultimate result: a time of 56 minutes, and that's including various obstacles, waits in line to clear them, and dodging lots of zombies out to claim the little red flags I had as "lives" on my belt. Going by the posted results, I had a solidly average time. I also finished with one life left, and so left the race proudly sporting the medal of a survivor instead of the medal of an "infected".

Nerd power FTW! Would definitely consider doing something like this again, though admittedly the novelty will not likely be there. Still, a great way to focus my working out, and a great goal to work towards for this time and the next!

Mark

Replies

• Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That sounds like so much fun! I've never done a 5K before...never been much of a runner. As a woman who's...erm...top heavy I never really got into it. I've started the couch to 5K app and I'm starting to like it. I'm now searching for my own first 5K to do. Zombies sound fun!
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It certainly was, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have done a non-gimmick race otherwise. :) But it was still a whole lot of fun, and I felt I could really improve if I did it again - so, fitness mission accomplished! Kudos to my team mates for encouraging me to do this, and to my wife and daughter for supporting me as well!

Mark
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    that is awesome. i've done two 5k's and two halves, but no obstacle courses yet, and zombie is at the top of my list.

good job out there! i love these kinds of races, because they make fitness fun. and challenging. and i like fun challenges.
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! It was a very fun race. Have you tried the Zombies, Run! app, I really like it. :smile:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mud and obstacle races. I don't love running, so the fun ones with obstacles make it way more fun for me :) Zombies sound great!
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    WTG for surviving! I lost all my flags, even the bonus ones.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    We did the same race! I was part of team Taste the Rainbow, we were dressed as human Skittles. So fun!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I so want to do one of these, I am super jealous!

Looks like you had tons of fun. :flowerforyou:
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That is so freakin cool! I want to do a zombie run! I missed the mud hero run this year - but I am doing it next year - kinda the same thing but with no zombies.....I want zombies lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!