How does a person measure their macros

Options
I have been hearing a lot about macros on MFP. What does macros mean and how do I measure it?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    macros are macronutrients... carbs, fat, and protein. And your macros are based on your fitness goals and requirements. Most people would suggest getting .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and .35 - .4g of fat with the remainder for carbs. But if you are a long distance runner, then you may need more carbs.

If you want, provide your height, weight, age workout routine, if you have medical conditions, and if you have a food scale and we can help set up a goal for you.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    macros are macronutrients... carbs, fat, and protein. And your macros are based on your fitness goals and requirements. Most people would suggest getting .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and .35 - .4g of fat with the remainder for carbs. But if you are a long distance runner, then you may need more carbs.

If you want, provide your height, weight, age workout routine, if you have medical conditions, and if you have a food scale and we can help set up a goal for you.

Hello,
    Height: 5 foot 5
    Weight: 190
    Workout routine: arc cybex-2 hours, walking: 6 miles, 10 burpees, 10 crunches, 10 squats, 10 lunges
    These workouts are done everyday.

I recently have been giving myself some rest days because I was constantly in pain.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

Hello,

Workout routine: arc cybex-2 hours, walking: 6 miles, 10 burpees, 10 crunches, 10 squats, 10 lunges

I recently have been giving myself some rest days because I was constantly in pain.
    I don't have a good scale.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

Hello,

I don't have a good scale.

Food scale, not good scale. Typo
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sorry, your profile is close, male or female? Also, why do you workout so much?
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

I'm female. I work out a lot because I am in the process of losing weight.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

I just opened my profile.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You should be looking to your diet for weight loss, not exercise. You can get a digital food scale for $10 at Wal Mart, or any drug store. It doesn't have to be a fancy one.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well you don't need to workout that much to lose weight. In fact, you don't even have to workout to lose weight, a calorie deficit will do that. Doing a bunch of cardio will just burn a ton of calories, which if you aren't eating enough, can increase the amount of lean body mass loss.

Here is what I would suggest in this order

1. Buy a food scale and log daily - accuracy and consistency are the keys to success
    2. Change calories to 1800, macros at 40% carbs, 30% fats and protein - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    3. Change workout routine, do 3 to 4 days of a resistance training program (preferably a weight training program with compound lifts). Weight lifting and protein work together to maintain lean body mass which will maintain your metabolic functions and help with maintaining TDEE. And then do 2 to 3 days of cardio. You can even include one day of flexibility training to maintain a round and good program. Also, you don't have to exercise each day. I do an active recover on my day off.. i play golf.
    4. Do this for a month and you can post results. It's possible you may have to modify your plan based on your actual results. Keep in mind that body can fluctuate its weigh by as much as 5 lbs.. so water weight can mask fat loss.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

Well you don't need to workout that much to lose weight. In fact, you don't even have to workout to lose weight, a calorie deficit will do that. Doing a bunch of cardio will just burn a ton of calories, which if you aren't eating enough, can increase the amount of lean body mass loss.

1. Buy a food scale and log daily - accuracy and consistency are the keys to success
    2. Change calories to 1800, macros at 40% carbs, 30% fats and protein - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    3. Change workout routine, do 3 to 4 days of a resistance training program (preferably a weight training program with compound lifts). Weight lifting and protein work together to maintain lean body mass which will maintain your metabolic functions and help with maintaining TDEE. And then do 2 to 3 days of cardio. You can even include one day of flexibility training to maintain a round and good program. Also, you don't have to exercise each day. I do an active recover on my day off.. i play golf.
    4. Do this for a month and you can post results. It's possible you may have to modify your plan based on your actual results. Keep in mind that body can fluctuate its weigh by as much as 5 lbs.. so water weight can mask fat loss.

Thank you for you advice. I eat much less than 1800 calories a day. If I increase my calories to 1800 would I gain weight?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you for you advice. I eat much less than 1800 calories a day. If I increase my calories to 1800 would I gain weight?

Since you don't have a food scale, you probably are eating more than you think. The average person under reports their calories by as much as 400 calories or so. So getting a food scale before you increase calories would be recommend.

Also, how much per week have you been losing?
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

Since you don't have a food scale, you probably are eating more than you think. The average person under reports their calories by as much as 400 calories or so. So getting a food scale before you increase calories would be recommend.

I have been losing on average 5 pounds per week. On June 27th I weighed 217 pounds, today I weigh 190.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options

I have been losing on average 5 pounds per week. On June 27th I weighed 217 pounds, today I weigh 190.
    I want to get down to 170.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Losing 5 pounds per week is pretty aggressive. Out of curiosity, do you have other body composition goals other than weight loss? You may find that at this pace you'll lose more lean muscle along with the fat, which could hurt you in the long run if you're going for a certain look.
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Losing 5 pounds per week is pretty aggressive. Out of curiosity, do you have other body composition goals other than weight loss? You may find that at this pace you'll lose more lean muscle along with the fat, which could hurt you in the long run if you're going for a certain look.

Its only been a month. For the past month (my first on the program) i have lost 18 pounds, so i average 4.5 pounds a week. That is deceiving though as i lost about 10 pounds immediately after starting, then i slowed to a much more reasonable 1-2 pounds a week. Some have some very significant results very quickly, then they balance out, while others don't see their results until later. I would be more concerned if she maintained the 5 lbs per week loss for the next month.
  • khaleesi_16388
    khaleesi_16388 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree with the previous posts in a few regards. 5lb/wk loss is not sustainable long term and will lead to so-called yo-yo dieting. The same goes for such a strenuous daily exercise routine and severe caloric restriction. You will end up starving your body of essential nutrients and it will go into survival mode, breaking down muscle and STORING more fat for fear of continued nutritional deprivation.

Moreover, it sounds like your body isn't happy with the current regiment if you're needing to stop due to pain. You don't want to end up with an injury and it sounds like that's what you're headed for. Furthermore, the human body has unbelievable adaptive capacity and your muscles will rapidly adapt if you are doing the same routine daily. Unless your ultimate goal is strictly to build endurance, this adaptation will actually hinder your ability to reach your weight loss goals.

After years of being a yo-yo dieter myself and investing waaay too much time and energy in unnecessary cardio and high impact exercise, I finally discovered weight training. I'm nowhere near where I want to be and am just getting started with barbells/free weight lifting (rather than the 5lb dumbbell x20 rep type workouts I was always told to do as a woman), but I've become a true believer in the science behind lifting and the strength, health and aesthetic benefits that it provides.

I'd HIGHLY recommend upping your calories to at least 1800, alternating your cardio with lifting and strength training, and maybe learning more about tracking macros and determining what's right for you, I've just started IIFYM and am doing a ton of research on the subject now, and I can tell you I'm already in a MUCH better headspace feeling like I can maintain this eating style way better and longer than any calorie restricting or clean eating diet I've attempted in the past.

I'd definitely encourage you to spend time looking around the site at blog posts and forum posts for tips about learning strength training and how sometimes sustained calorie restriction can actually deter you from your goals.

Best of luck as you continue your journey, and congrats on the AMAZING progress you've made so far!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Its only been a month. For the past month (my first on the program) i have lost 18 pounds, so i average 4.5 pounds a week. That is deceiving though as i lost about 10 pounds immediately after starting, then i slowed to a much more reasonable 1-2 pounds a week. Some have some very significant results very quickly, then they balance out, while others don't see their results until later. I would be more concerned if she maintained the 5 lbs per week loss for the next month.

Ok, i figured the first week or two was most of it. Since you are active, you should eat more. Once you get a food scale, I would follow my recommendation. After 4-6 weeks, if our average loss is more than a lb per week, then you can consider eating more so help with muscle retention.
  • qndivat
    qndivat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like help setting a calorie target. I am female, 5'3" and 265lbs. I have a desk job and am very sendentary. I just started power walking 20 minutes per day on a treadmill varying the include between 0 - 7%. I sometimes throw in 10 pushups and 30 crunches and some tricep work with a 5lb dumbbell.

I recently went to a weight loss center where they calculated my resting metabolic rate to be 1720 calories per day. Based on this i've set my calorie targe to 1520 calories 30% carbs 40%protein 30% fat. Can you suggest any changes?