Sugar v. Natural Sugar

Options
Woot Woot, I finally learned how to make a post on here ( now hopefully I get notifications when someone comments)

I just had a questions about Sugars and what peoples thoughts are on sugar v. natural sugar. I love to have my banana around 11:30 for energy for my lunch work out, but its like 14 g. of Sugar. which is like half my sugar intake for the day. I am staying to stay "in line" with with everything, so that being said, I know it is sugar, but with it being "healthy" sugar, should I be counting it as "sugar"

I know I'm a little all over the place, but hopefully you guys can give some comments/suggestions !

THANKS !!!!!

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Most low carb diets track "net carbs", not just "sugar". Net carbs are (= total carbs - fiber).

This is because the test they use for total carbs can't distinguish between bio-available carbohydrate and non-absorbable carbohydrate, aka "fiber". So the total carbs measurement = bioavailable carbs + fiber, because of the limits of the test.

The bioavailable carbs are the ones that you can absorb that might affect your weight.

I'm not familiar with diets that track 'sugar' itself, so if you are not doing a generic 'low carb' plan, I don't know how your specific diet strategy answers the question.

add: chemically, "sugar" is sucrose. the "sugar" in a banana is a mixture of sucrose, fructose, and probably a bunch of other sugars in smaller amounts.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sugar (refined or natural) are just carbs. Track your carbs and don't worry about tracking sugar.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Sugar (refined or natural) are just carbs. Track your carbs and don't worry about tracking sugar.

^This.

I track fiber in its place. I'm typically over my limit every day *shrugs*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    "Table sugar' is natural. There is nothing wrong with added sugar v sugar in fruits etc, other than the fact that it does not contain micronutrients. Sugar in say fruit, comes with the other benefits of fruit - like fiber and vitamins and minerals. I do not bother to track sugar - just try to get a balanced diet - which includes fruits, veggies etc.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    "Table sugar' is natural. There is nothing wrong with added sugar v sugar in fruits etc, other than the fact that it does not contain micronutrients. Sugar in say fruit, comes with the other benefits of fruit - like fiber and vitamins and minerals. I do not bother to track sugar - just try to get a balanced diet - which includes fruits, veggies etc.

Wonderfully said.
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great thank you guys !! you have really answered my questions and I am going to turn to tracking Fibre not sugar !!!!
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Table sugar is a natural disaccharide composed one fructose and one glucose molecule. So it's 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Fruits tend to have higher fructose ratios than sucrose. Usually being composed of pure fructose, some glucose, and some sucrose. The ratios vary by fruit. This is similar to HFCS that typically contains 60% fructose and 40% glucose.

Sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide of fructose and glucose. When it enters the body and is broken down into saccharides. The glucose and fructose are handled much differently. In fact, most saccharides go through different routes during processing in the body.

Glucose is most easily used by the body and is stored as the polysaccharide glycogen in the liver and muscles. It goes through many cycles and is easily broken down back into saccharide form and sent/used by other parts of the body.

Fructose, on the other hand, is transported to the liver almost completely. In the liver it is converted to fructose-1-phosphate. Fructose-1-phosphate skips a major glycolysis regulation by phosphofructokinase and is converted to glyceraldehyde and dihydroxyacetone phosphate by aldolase B, where it re-enters glycolysis.

The important part there is that it skips regulation by a primary glycolysis regulating enzyme (the other being pyruvate kinase), phosphofructokinase. This allows pyruvate to accumulate more readily than in the case of glucose and this allows it to more readily be converted into fatty acids through fatty acid synthesis in cases of pyruvate excess.

(relax, fatty acid synthesis and oxidation occurs every second and if oxidation wins for that time period , then you lose fat)

There is a difference with how your body reacts to every single saccharide (ok, mostly).

That being said, fruit are loaded with crazy-healthy polyphenols and fiber. Fiber slows absorption of the fructose, limiting fructose in the blood, limiting fructose in the liver, slowing conversion to pyruvate, and slowing fatty acid biosynthesis when compared to sucrose (table sugar). Since it absorbs slower, the pyruvate that it makes is more likely to be used by the kreb cycle than fructose (HFCS) found outside of fruit.

So fruits are good. Regardless of what the commercials tell you HFCS is not great and sucrose (table sugar) isn't that bad if your total meal (or previous meals for that matter) have decent fiber content.

Edit: on second look this was probably too in-depth for most peoples interest. I copy and pasted it from my reply for a previous fruit-bashing post.
  • 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Google 'naturalistic fallacy'.
    Just because something is natural doesn't mean it is inherently more worthwhile than something that isn't.
    Ebola is natural, so is anthrax.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options

This isn't a hundred percent true.

Table sugar is a natural disaccharide composed one fructose and one glucose molecule. So it's 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Fruits tend to have higher fructose ratios than sucrose. Usually being composed of pure fructose, some glucose, and some sucrose. The ratios vary by fruit. This is similar to HFCS that typically contains 60% fructose and 40% glucose.

Sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide of fructose and glucose. When it enters the body and is broken down into saccharides. The glucose and fructose are handled much differently. In fact, most saccharides go through different routes during processing in the body.

Glucose is most easily used by the body and is stored as the polysaccharide glycogen in the liver and muscles. It goes through many cycles and is easily broken down back into saccharide form and sent/used by other parts of the body.

Fructose, on the other hand, is transported to the liver almost completely. In the liver it is converted to fructose-1-phosphate. Fructose-1-phosphate skips a major glycolysis regulation by phosphofructokinase and is converted to glyceraldehyde and dihydroxyacetone phosphate by aldolase B, where it re-enters glycolysis.

The important part there is that it skips regulation by a primary glycolysis regulating enzyme (the other being pyruvate kinase), phosphofructokinase. This allows pyruvate to accumulate more readily than in the case of glucose and this allows it to more readily be converted into fatty acids through fatty acid synthesis in cases of pyruvate excess.

(relax, fatty acid synthesis and oxidation occurs every second and if oxidation wins for that time period , then you lose fat)

There is a difference with how your body reacts to every single saccharide (ok, mostly).

That being said, fruit are loaded with crazy-healthy polyphenols and fiber. Fiber slows absorption of the fructose, limiting fructose in the blood, limiting fructose in the liver, slowing conversion to pyruvate, and slowing fatty acid biosynthesis when compared to sucrose (table sugar). Since it absorbs slower, the pyruvate that it makes is more likely to be used by the kreb cycle than fructose (HFCS) found outside of fruit.

So fruits are good. Regardless of what the commercials tell you HFCS is not great and sucrose (table sugar) isn't that bad if your total meal (or previous meals for that matter) have decent fiber content.

Edit: on second look this was probably too in-depth for most peoples interest. I copy and pasted it from my reply for a previous fruit-bashing post.

Yay, great post and very helpful!!!
    Thank you.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Great thank you guys !! you have really answered my questions and I am going to turn to tracking Fibre not sugar !!!!

actually, tracking one without the other is going to be hard. if you're low-carbing but not tracking sugars, you're bound to go over your macros. you can set it up to track carbs and also track fiber, and then do the mental math to subtract one from the other.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

actually, tracking one without the other is going to be hard. if you're low-carbing but not tracking sugars, you're bound to go over your macros. you can set it up to track carbs and also track fiber, and then do the mental math to subtract one from the other.

If one is low carb and still tracking carbs and fiber, but not sugar, how would they go over their macros?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

!nerdgasm!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Right. No one here was bashing fruit. And those commercials are correct. HFCS is just sugar.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options

Right. No one here was bashing fruit. And those commercials are correct. HFCS is just sugar.

That's OK, you believe the commercials. I'll believe my biochemistry degree, graduate school education, and the countless peer-reviewed scientific articles that I researched on this subject.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What are you disagreeing with in my post?
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try to watch my sugar intake, but allow wiggle room considering most of my sugar is coming from fruit. If you drink cow milk, that also has a lot of naturally occuring sugars.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

That's OK, you believe the commercials. I'll believe my biochemistry degree, graduate school education, and the countless peer-reviewed scientific articles that I researched on this subject.

This, yes!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Forget tracking sugar and replace it with Fiber, as long as you are hitting your daily caloric intake and macros there is no need to track sugar...... Best of Luck..........
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    What are you disagreeing with in my post?

Nothing really. I initially read it one way. Upon rereading I don't disagree at all. :) Sorry for quoting you. I'll edit!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical condition associated with sugar, you don't need to track it. As long as your sugar intake isn't pushing you past your calorie goals and you're getting a good macro/micro balance, don't worry about the delivery vehicle of your sugar (fruit, doughnut or spoon).