Running Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I am happy to report that I have just begun week 8 of Couch to 5k and completed day one - 28 minutes of solid running - with no issue. Eight weeks ago, I could never have accomplished this milestone. I see no reason why the final week of running - 30 solid minutes - will be an issue. This is a huge personal success and I am extremely proud of myself. I can't say that enough.

But.

(There's always a but, isn't there?)

BUT... I have some issues. I need MFP's advice, please.

During this process, I have been singularly focused on run times rather than distance. The app I'm using on my iPhone doesn't specify distance, just duration. So when I say I can run for 28 minutes solid, I mean it. I don't stop and I don't walk.

However, my actual pace is... well... slow. It's not a run so much as a jog. (I hate to admit that.) In order to complete the 28 minutes, I am running at slow jog to very slow jog to very, very slow jog. I can "run" 1.77 miles in 28 minutes, making my average pace about 15 minutes/mile.

I was really hoping to sign up for a 5k in September (about 3-4 weeks after I finish the C25k program) but I am concerned that I'm too slow. :/ It would probably take me the better part of an hour at this point, and that seems pretty sad for a 5k time.

Is this another issue of just needing to be patient? Will I just naturally get faster as I run more?

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to increase speed? I have had SO MUCH success with using a training app. Is there another one out there that can help me use interval training (like maybe short sprints between jogs) to increase my speed?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations! You're doing great!

Your pace is good for this where you're at. Keep at it. You will speed up in time.
    Doing the timed version of C25K, you just need to concentrate on the time. After graduation, you can start to add more time to reach the 5K goal and with practice that time will keep getting lower. I'm very slow, too, (I blame it on age. LOL!). When I graduated, I was running about your speed and finished running (no walking) my first 5K distance in 50 minutes. In the past 1 1/2 years, I've decreased that speed to about 38 minutes and, although that's slow progress for some, I'm still progressing and getting faster. Keep running. It will happen.

As a beginner, the way to increase speed is to increase distance. Slow down and run a longer distance than you usually do. After a few times, run your usual distance. You'll find you've sped up a bit.

As for the 5K race in September, enter it, do your best. You'll finish the distance even if you walk some of it and you won't finish last. You'll do great.
  • minorlight
    minorlight Posts: 11
    Options
    This is fantastic advice, thank you. If I can jog for 60 minutes, I don't see how I couldn't fully run a 5k. Awesome!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you are increasing distance don't focus much on the time but when you are running the same distance it can be fun to hit a new personal best. If you have a smartphone get an armband and install an app that uses GPS to track your distance and time/pace. I use Runtastic but I hear good things about Runkeeper too. I have bluetooth headphones for music but you can use the phone speaker to readout your pace per mile or kilometer. Sometimes you will just feel good and say wow I can pick it up a bit and hit a new record. It also helps when up your route to know your distance.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congrats on completing the C25K program, it really is a great way to start running. I agree with that which most people hear have said...just keep running. The more you run, the better you will get, the easier it will feel and the more you will improve.

I am in a similar spot. I completed the program last month and have a 5k Sunday. The past few weeks I've been running 2-4 times a week, up to 2.5 - 3 miles each time. Some days are still really, really tough, but others I feel incredibly strong. This week I tried adding in a hill run...went very slow and didn't get as far as usual, but I can see where it will make me stronger and a better runner.

Just be careful of injury! I think it's really easy for us new runners to push too far trying to improve quickly. But slow and steady is the right path to get stronger, faster and run longer.

Keep at it!!
  • minorlight
    Options
    Congratulations! I am beginning week 3 and you have inspired me to keep on pushing. I too am S-L-O-W, but I just keep going. Let us know how it goes for you!

Thank you! You can TOTALLY do it. It's such an amazing experience!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Everybody already said everything, so I'll just add:

WOO HOO! YOU CAN RUN FOR 28 SOLID MINUTES!!!! DID YOU EVER THINK THAT WOULD BE YOU???!!!???
    :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :heart:
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    From one slow runner to another,

You just started running 8 weeks ago and you can run without stopping or walking for 28 minutes. You're doing great!

The human body has 2 speeds walking or running. Who cares if you run slowly? You are running. Isn't that what you set out to do?

Your speed will improve as you a) increase your distance b) tackle hills c)run fartleks / intervals d) challenge yourself & stretch your limitations.

Trust the process and enjoy the journey.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I always have 2 goals for any race I enter:
    1. Finish
    2. Finish upright.

What place I finish in doesn't matter as long as I meet the above criteria! Adrenaline on race day usually kicks in, though, and many people find they run longer and faster than usual.

So, enter your race....plan to finish, and finish upright (and collect the t-shirt and/or finisher's medal).
    Repeat as often as you like. Medals and t-shirts will accumulate, and times and distances will improve.
    Guaranteed!
  • CoolBreeze84
    CoolBreeze84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First, I do want to say congratulations! It's not easy to run for that amount of time, and the fact that you want to keep going is awesome! Don't ever give up!

This worked for me, so the approach may not be feasable for others. I never did a C25k or anything like that. When I started running, I found a route with a given distance- a mile, 5k, whatever. I would run it every other day, or every two days, depending on my knees. I always did the distance, not worrying too much about the time (but always pushing myself). If I needed to stop to walk or catch my breath, I would. Eventually, I was able to go the entire distance without stopping. From then on, I would try to go a little faster. Not a lot, just a second or two better than last time. Once I got comfortable with the distance and time, I would add more distance. That helps a lot too. Once I started going for 8k, I saw my 5k time improve a lot.

My first 5k was one year ago in September. I will be signing up for the same race again this year. I'm hoping to drop 4 or 5 minutes from last year's time.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I too was a 15 minute miler once. I would suggest the Run Keeper app. You can set it to tell you your pass at set time or distance marker. Then slowly try to not a few seconds off your mile time. When running/jogging pick a speed where you can still talk in complete sentences without gasping. Remeber walking is NOT a bad thing. I take a minute walk break every two miles and I still average a 10 minute. The key is to only walk a minute.

As for the 5k, do it. You will see your progress in action. Don't worry about being the last one, there are always walkers at 5k's

Good luck
  • minorlight
    Options
    Everybody already said everything, so I'll just add:

WOO HOO! YOU CAN RUN FOR 28 SOLID MINUTES!!!! DID YOU EVER THINK THAT WOULD BE YOU???!!!???
    :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :heart:

Thank you!!!! :D Perspective!!!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations!! C25K is not a joke, it's a lot of work.

I would urge you to finish the program and then following begin interval training. Run for 30 minutes and then at the end, run from one light post to the next as quickly as you can and then walk to the next light post and then sprint again. I'd suggest starting off slowly, no more than a few light posts to begin. As you adjust, drop the walk and go back to your jog and alternate with the sprints. Over time you'll pick up speed as well as endurance because you're running longer (and farther).
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options
    Whenever people I exercise with ask me questions in regards to how well they are doing, I point out what they are doing now versus when they started.

You will improve over time and rushing it will only hurt your muscles. I can compare this to training myself, as I, too, am trying to get into 'running' shape - or by using my horses as an example. This time I will use my horses, because they are excellent to compare to.

When I first began with Rio, my hideously overweight rescue, even 'jogging' (trotting) him caused heavy breathing almost immediately sweat, and him slowing to a walk after a few moments. A week later, and he would still blow and sweat... but he WOULD jog. A week later, he began loping, slowly. He'd then have to slow down, pant heavily, but keep moving. In a month, he was up to ten second breezes.

Rio will, one day, be a beautiful equine athlete. But right now hes overweight, his feet hurt, he sweats under any exercise, and he is slow after a few minutes of speed. But a month ago, he was slower.

What I'm saying is this: Keep track of your distance and time, yes, to see if it improves But check this too - are you as tired at the same distance as before? Do your muscles hurt as much? Do you feel better while running (less tired, sloppy, etc)? I bet each day you feel it is easier. As it gets easier and easier, the speed will come! Don't give up!
  • Kidsonic
    Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I finished C2K a couple of months ago and am continuing to slowly (SLOWLY) add a bit of distance. I don't focus on my speed, just on keeping going, one foot in front of the other. I finished C2K at about 14:30/mile and am now down to a little over 12/mile.

I'm doing my first 5K this Fall too, and my only goal is to run the entire thing. Since it's my first race, I'm guaranteed my best time ever, right :)
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I was around 14:30 min mile. After a year and a half I was able to work up to 10:30-11:30 min miles. My best 5k is 34:12. My first 5k was 41:30. Put in the time and the miles and the speed will come!
    (Sadly I hurt myself badly, gained back a ton of weight and can't run until December so I'll be starting over again soon.)

1390480_610602362315969_488968952_n.jpg
  • warh00p
    warh00p Posts: 3
    Options
    The short answer is yes, continuing to run will increase speed up to a point. I think a better question is, "how fast do I want to be able to run?" The answer to that question will determine your training. If you are looking to run the occasional 5K your training will be vastly different than if you hope to run a marathon, which will look different if you hope to run a fast marathon and so on.

But regardless of the end goal, recreational or competitive, and like all athletic endeavors, get some coaching! Whether it is a solo or group environment, you need someone to look at your form and be able to make corrections. There are right ways and wrong ways to run. Poor form will lead to poor times and LOTS of injuries. A good coach will also be able to tailor your training to meet your goals. I cannot stress this enough, coaching is the key to success.

BTW, I'm not a coach...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Run for 30 minutes and then at the end, run from one light post to the next as quickly as you can and then walk to the next light post and then sprint again. I'd suggest starting off slowly, no more than a few light posts to begin. As you adjust, drop the walk and go back to your jog and alternate with the sprints.

Fartlek training can be quite fun, although the lack of structure can lead to taking it easy at times.

Still needs the aerobic base to build on.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All these people, telling OP to run distance to increase time... Totally true! When I started the C25K program, I was running a 9:30 minute kilometer. I didn't finish the program (I have problems with 'authority', and someone telling me when to walk and when to run irritated me), but continued running anyway. As I started adding distance, the kilometer times started coming down, and now, less than 6 months later, I'm routinely running a kilometer in 7 minutes (okay, so really I only hit that last week, after being at a 7:30 km pace for a while). I haven't done ANYTHING to increase my speed - ALL of my attention has been on running further. I now run a 5K twice a week, and run 4 to 5 miles each Saturday (looking to increase by a half mile this weekend - so hopefully 5.5 miles). I got faster just by putting my sneakers on and getting out there. One thing that I like to do (and has helped me by tracking my kilometers) is the Zombies, Run! app. A lot of people use Runtastic as well - and once I'm through with the zombies, I might go that route too. Its nice to see how far you really went, and what your pace was - and very motivating when your pace starts getting faster (in my case, without even trying for it - just by adding distance)

MAJOR CONGRATS on making it so far with your running, OP! :flowerforyou: You're doing GREAT!
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I already offered my 2 cents which pretty much echoes everyone else's, but thought this post was worth sharing.

It's not mine, nor do I know this runner. Maybe you're beyond this wisdom, but it encouraged me when I thought I should be improving more than I was.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Enjoy your journey.