Caramelized Onion & Horseradish Cauliflower Mash (150 cal)

Options
WadeLam
WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
Ohhhhhhhhhh this is good. So simple…and so delicious…

One dark and stormy night (makes for a good story, doesn’t it?!), I was in the mood to eat something light. But unfortunately, I was a few days away from our weekly grocery trip and was running low on veggies. I scrounged up the following:

* 4 wrinkly cucumbers that had been shoved to the back of the fridge
* A very sad squash left out on the counter way too long
* A half-bag of salad mix that had lost its will to live
* A very respectable head of cauliflower

I went for the cauliflower, and started googling (I love that word) recipes. Most seemed rather bland, til I came across this baby.

Come along on my cauliflower journey, my friends. :)

CARAMELIZED ONION & HORSERADISH CAULIFLOWER MASH (Peace, Love & Low Carb)

1ic9.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
1 Large Head Cauliflower – Cleaned and Trimmed
1 Medium Onion – Thinly Sliced
2 Tbs. Minced Garlic
2 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
¼ Cup Sour Cream
¼ Cup Creamy Horseradish
Salt and Pepper – To Taste

DIRECTIONS:
In a large sauté pan over low-medium heat, add onions, garlic, butter, olive oil and salt and pepper. Cook until onions are nice and caramelized – About 30 minutes. While the onions are caramelizing, fill a large sauce pan with 1 inch of water. Over high heat, steam the cauliflower, whole and, covered, until fork tender – About 15 minutes. Once the cauliflower is fork tender, drain the water and leave cauliflower in the hot pan to help draw out some of the excess moisture. Fork mash the cauliflower in the pan. Add caramelized onions, sour cream, horseradish sauce, and salt and pepper to the pan. Using a potato masher, mash all ingredients together.

Of course, to cut calories, you could eliminate the butter and olive oil, and saute the onions and garlic in chicken broth. You could also use light sour cream (but never, ever fat free – it’s of the devil).

NUTRITION INFO (makes 8 servings per recipe):
Calories – 120
Protein – 2.5 g
Carbs – 4.5 net g
Fat – 9.5 g

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    That sounds so good I could just roll around in a big pile of it and luxuriate! Meanwhile, well drained plain yogurt (AKA Greek-style yogurt or labneh) makes a great sour cream replacement.
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow!! That looks and sounds delish. I needed to find a way to eat more cauliflower. I don't dislike it but just don't eat it very much. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe with us. Yum!!! :-)
  • Tara_238
    Tara_238 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious, I must have some
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh my, that looks good!
  • B0rnC0nfus3d
    B0rnC0nfus3d Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Omg this sounds amazing. Yum
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight. I was too lazy to caramelize the onions. But it was yummy even in the lazy version. Will be a regular in my recipe rotation.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bumping for later yo!
  • willRUN4Beer
    willRUN4Beer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump, thank you!