Nuts!

Options
I'm thinking about ditching nuts from my diet. I typically have a half serving (16oz) of raw, unsalted almonds, but coming in at nearly 100 calories I don't think it's worth it for a measly 15 nuts.

What other crunchy low cal and nutritionally dense snacks do you guys like?

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky may be a good alternative for you; it is packed with protein and would help offset the protein loss from removing nuts from your diet.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    why give up nuts ???

make it fit into your daily calorie goals ....... run around the block if you need to .....

nuts are lovely :drinker:
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Almonds are ludicrously good for you! I am a vegan and have struggled with feeling tired for most of the year since I made the decision; did some research; and they have so many nutrients that you need, especially as a lady. I now sprinkle just a few flaked ones on top of my breakfast every morning, with some almond milk, bran flakes and dairy free yoghurt. Now just changing what I eat for breakfast has really improved overall wellbeing. I can't think of any better snack to be honest :) if you were looking for a low calorie alternative though, to weave in the odd day, then salted popcorn has lots of fibre to keep you fuller for longer :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, your body doesn't get the full amount of calories listed for nuts due to the way our body digests them. And even if we did, I couldn't cut out my nuts. They are soooo good, and good for you!

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2012/08/30/new-study-reveals-fewer-calories-in-almonds/
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The nuts are a great source of fats. Also, 16oz is not a half serving of nuts, that's like an entire bag or more. 0.5oz would be a half serving.
  • xhecate
    xhecate Posts: 17
    Options
    The nuts are a great source of fats. Also, 16oz is not a half serving of nuts, that's like an entire bag or more. 0.5oz would be a half serving.

Right! I meant grams!

Beef jerky sounds good....

I'm just a very plain eater. I wouldn't get around to sprinkling nut flakes on something. But that's just me. :glasses:
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I know it's probably weird but an ounce of cheese is one of my favorite snacks. It fills me up for some reason. I also like fruit like cherries, strawberries, apples, and bananas. They are a quick low cal grab I can always fit in. Even a single multi-grain waffle is pretty filling to me. I've never favored nuts unless I wanted a PBnJ, and I usually have that for lunch. I think I had pecans just sitting in my bakers cabinet for like a year.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could live without nuts in my diet. I generally don't eat them alone, though. I pair them with something. I like a cheese stick with my almonds. I also find raspberries a nice companion for them.
    One thing I had to remember and to train myself to do, though, is to SAVOR them. I could easily scarf down the whole pound, but if I take my time and really chew and really enjoy them, they are quite satisfying. I don't do this with every food, either. Just nuts. Call me - *ahem* - nuts!!