Is walking just as good as running?

Options
I have been loseing weight with my walking. I walk 2 miles in the morning before work, 2 miles on my lunch hour , and 2 miles in the evening. i really want to run and I have tried and can run about 1 min walk 1 min run for up to 5 mins. My problem is I have firbromyalgia and walking I feel good but running makes my hips hurt. I just want to know if I was to run would the weight come off faster.

Replies

• opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I just want to know if I was to run would the weight come off faster.

Yes, running burns more calories and at a faster rate than walking.

That said, with a good diet and 6 miles a day of walking, you should have no problem losing weight. Just make sure you're getting enough protein.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Running does burn more net calories per mile than walking ... about twice as many. That said, if running causes pain and injury is it really worth it to burn more calories per mile or does it make more sense to just walk further than you would run and stay within your limits?

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Run/walk, hike on a steep incline on a treadmill or outside,etc.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight by eating a calorie deficit. Exercise (walking, running) just creates a bigger deficit.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it is just as good ultimately depends on your goals.

Are you just trying to lose weight?

If yes, then walking is just as good.

Are you just trying to be active?

Yes again. It's an activity. You're not sitting on your butt. It's good.

Are you already in decent shape and wish to improve your fitness?

If that is the case, then no, running will give yougreater improvements faster.

That being said, any sort of pain (aside from muscle soreness) is not something you should push through, unless under the instruction from a medical professional. A small injury can turn into a crippling injury if pushed. If running hurts your hip, don't do it. Try a different activity, or keep walking. Swimming and cycling are both excellent alternatives.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    They are different activities that each have their own pros and cons.

If you just want to drop some weight, simply ditching the car and walking instead, along with a modicum of dietary control will be totally sufficient.

If your goal is an increased VO2Max, then you may want to run some intervals.

If you want to get some cardio in that won't affect recovery from your weights sessions, then walking is ace.

If you want to enter that local 10K and place in the top third, you may need to run a few miles...

etc, etc.. ad infinitum.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    6 miles a day is fantastic. Unless you WANT to run, I'd stay stick with walking.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use an elliptical. It is kinder to my joints and still works up a sweat.

If you want accurate comparisons of how many calories you are burning during an exercise activity, it might help to purchase a Heart Rate Monitor.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have been loseing weight with my walking. I walk 2 miles in the morning before work, 2 miles on my lunch hour , and 2 miles in the evening. i really want to run and I have tried and can run about 1 min walk 1 min run for up to 5 mins. My problem is I have firbromyalgia and walking I feel good but running makes my hips hurt. I just want to know if I was to run would the weight come off faster.

I say you're doing it right for you.

If you *really* want to run however, get a Couch to 5k app and use it to build up your running. It starts with 30 seconds. The trick is to run as SLOWLY as possible. You will probably start out running more slowly than you walk now. However, at the end of 9 weeks, the goal is to be able to run for 30 minutes straight. If you can do that, you'll naturally build speed by simply continuing to run.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Getting off the lazy boy and doing something > doing nothing at all.

If your'e just getting started then go forth and walk your *kitten* off, it's going to be the best thing for you and you'll love it. If you feel up to the task try running outside sometime or start using a tredmil.

As long as your doing something, go forth and be fabulous. Win/win.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    to clarify, you will burn more calories in the activity that requires more physical exertion, but if you can't run or if you can't run for long that's ok. You'll still burn calories by walking. Nothing wrong with running short bursts and walking when it gets too hard.
  • going2heaven87
    Options
    Easy answer, yes. Running 6 miles isn't better for you than walking 5 miles, it's just quicker. Walking is just fine.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    when I started, I began walking 10min/day with constant fibromyalgia pain in my R hip. I almost gave up because I thought the pain would only get worse. I was totally wrong. the more I worked it, the less my hip bothered me. when walking wasn't doing it for me anymore, I started jogging--just like you, 1 min jog--1 min run--repeat--etc. Now i can run 3 mi and my R hip pain is a memory.

I cannot recommend you run through the pain bc I don't know what else is going on with your hips. I can only share my experience. I was in terrible pain for all the years that I remained inactive. as soon as I started working through the pain, my symptoms improved dramatically.

Feel free to friend or PM me. I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you kept everything else the same and replaced the walking with running you would burn more, but what are the chances you are going to run 6 miles in a day?

It all depends on the size of the person, but the examples would extrapolate out I think.

Walking burns around 70 cals per mile for a fit person and running around 100. Both are give and take.
    If you walked 5 miles you burn around 350, so that would be about the same as running 3.5. Again, give or take and for a bigger person you burn much more per mile doing both.

As someone else stated......use that C25k program.

Also..HIIT sprints are a GREAT way to get a great burn in a short period of time.

Sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Walk for a minute. Repeat. Do a few times one week, up the reps each week and then also the time you sprint.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The only reason running would be better is because you can burn calories faster. I do not mind taking time with my exercise though. Either way 15-30 minutes of it (running or walking) is good for your heart and has the same health benefits. I used to love to run, but my knees became damaged a few year back. That is one of the bad side effects. Running does cause more pressure on your joints. If you have chronic joint pain I would ask a doctor before entertaining the idea of implementing jogging into your lifestyle.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Certainly you can. I have lost 84 lbs in a year and only have 20 to go. I too cannot run and even have much difficulty even walking with the disabilities I have in both I knees, ankles and feet among many others but I do what I can anyway.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you kept everything else the same and replaced the walking with running you would burn more, but what are the chances you are going to run 6 miles in a day?

It all depends on the size of the person, but the examples would extrapolate out I think.

Walking burns around 70 cals per mile for a fit person and running around 100. Both are give and take.
    If you walked 5 miles you burn around 350, so that would be about the same as running 3.5. Again, give or take and for a bigger person you burn much more per mile doing both.

As someone else stated......use that C25k program.

Also..HIIT sprints are a GREAT way to get a great burn in a short period of time.

Sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Walk for a minute. Repeat. Do a few times one week, up the reps each week and then also the time you sprint.

Sprints for a person unaccustomed to running (not to mention firbromyalgia)? There's a recipe for pain and injury.
  • Girlg0yle
    Girlg0yle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Running does burn more calories but if it hurts you could try biking or swimming instead...they both burn more calories than walking.

I also have fibromyalgia. I used the C25K program to start running. I had to repeat some of the weeks in order to be able to do them. The big thing that helped with hip and other pain was doing yoga. I went to a beginners yoga class once a week at the beginning and it helped alot. You could do it at home with a video...even youtube video....just pick a gentle and beginners one and it will help stretch and loosen sore hips
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'd say walking is better than running because you won't end up as one of those annoying people that talks about Mud Runs or Color Runs every 5 minutes at random.

Haha that's hilarious, I have some people like that at my work.

I'd say whatever you'll most likely do is best. If you really don't like running then just walk, it's a lot easier to do and easier on your joints too. But if you enjoy it and want to burn more calories then go for it. Bottom line is to eat healthy in a deficit and the exercise will just help you speed up the process of losing weight and make you feel better in the meantime.