How to Maintain Abs???

Options
Hi there!

I've been flirting with the idea of abs for some time now, but only recently have I dedicated myself to the pursuit of a six-pack. I've been eating religiously clean for the past three or four weeks, and I'm starting to see improvement!! :)

However, soon enough (at least within the next two or three weeks), I will have to stop eating at a deficit and start eating at maintenance again. How many calories do you guys eat to maintain abs???

P.S. I workout once or twice a day, six days a week. Includes strength training 2-3 times a week, cardio almost everyday, and a fairly active job twice a week. :)

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I've been flirting with the idea of abs for some time now, but only recently have I dedicated myself to the pursuit of a six-pack. I've been eating religiously clean for the past three or four weeks, and I'm starting to see improvement!! :)

However, soon enough (at least within the next two or three weeks), I will have to stop eating at a deficit and start eating at maintenance again. How many calories do you guys eat to maintain abs???

P.S. I workout once or twice a day, six days a week. Includes strength training 2-3 times a week, cardio almost everyday, and a fairly active job twice a week. :)

Put in your height and weight and change it to maintain and see what the site says ...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

For abs, you will have to monitor diet and keep a close tab on things....
    Depending on where you are at on the BF% scale.
    Men typically start seeing abs around the 12% mark.
    Prolly being somewhere between 8 - 10% would be desireable.

If you are able to eat at maintenance, then you should be fine...as you will not be in a position to put on fat...but also not lose fat.

Just keep lifting hard, and stay on top of your diet.....tweak as needed.

Couple of days going over will not kill you....as long as you get back on track.

I personally, between Friday to Saturday (when I went to bed) pounded down ~10,000 calories.....
    While I am a tad softer, I still see my abs fine.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I'll let you know once I'm done removing the layer of mayonnaise I promptly covered mine in.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I want abs too... that is the next uncharted territory for me. Lost 50 lbs and have gotten some good muscle tone in other parts of my body but ABS are a "B". Just started a 30 ABS/GLUTE challenge TABATA style (today is day 1). Hoping at day 30 I see some results! Rome wasnt built in a day I guess.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I want abs too... that is the next uncharted territory for me. Lost 50 lbs and have gotten some good muscle tone in other parts of my body but ABS are a "B". Just started a 30 ABS/GLUTE challenge TABATA style (today is day 1). Hoping at day 30 I see some results! Rome wasnt built in a day I guess.

caloric deficit, time and patience. :wink:
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am working on all three... (the last one is the hardest). Started crossfit 18 months ago and I love how far I have come.. But now I want more!!!! :)
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit, time and patience.

yup!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I'll bite since I was ragging on the word "patience" in another thread. How much time? Everyone crows about losing 1lb a week. So I'm 245lbs now. When would I get abs? (Yes I know I have them already but you know what I mean.)

As another poster said, it's more dependent on body fat %. What's your current body fat %?
  • MityMax96
    Options

I'll bite since I was ragging on the word "patience" in another thread. How much time? Everyone crows about losing 1lb a week. So I'm 245lbs now. When would I get abs? (Yes I know I have them already but you know what I mean.)

When you lose the BF from other parts of your body and the only place left to pull it from will be your lower abs, lower back, sides....
    And if you are a woman, thighs.

Everyone is different, but those places are always the last to go.....so that is why patience is key.
    You have to keep your goal in mind.
    Realize you didn't get fat over night, and you will not pop abs over night.
    There will be times where you want that cookie or doughnut or whatever, but you say "Nope, I have my goal in mind, and my plan in place, I am sticking to it"

And you will prolly get criticism from others around you, especially family, the closer you get to your goal.....
    ignore it.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

As another poster said, it's more dependent on body fat %. What's your current body fat %?

30% if you trust the electronic scale. I know those aren't solid but there's no real reason to pay for a better method at the moment since I still have quite a bit to lose.

245lbs with an est 30% BF would make your lean body mass around 171lbs. Say your goal is 10% BF, then you want to weigh approx 188lbs. 245-188 = 57 so you are look at about a year at 1lbs a week loss.
  • __freckles__
    Options

30% if you trust the electronic scale. I know those aren't solid but there's no real reason to pay for a better method at the moment since I still have quite a bit to lose.

245lbs with an est 30% BF would make your lean body mass around 171lbs. Say your goal is 10% BF, then you want to weigh approx 188lbs. 245-188 = 57 so you are look at about a year at 1lbs a week loss.

You did the math quicker than I did. But yes, I agree with the above. Take it slow and steady to retain as much LBM as possible and give it about a year.
  • MityMax96
    Options

You did the math quicker than I did. But yes, I agree with the above. Take it slow and steady to retain as much LBM as possible and give it about a year.

Translation
    Lift a lot while in caloric deficit. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I guess we'll see. I seem to gain and lose the same 5lbs eating by the supposed right numbers the calorie calculators spit out. Lifting seems to make literally no difference at all. I feel like the people swearing they don't do cardio are lying.

What are your stats?
    hieght, weight, age, days you workout?

Do you do compound lifts? (bench press, dead lifts, squats, etc...)

I do light cardio, usually twice a week....stairmaster 25 - 30 min, elliptical ~20min...
    That is it, other than that it is all diet and weights.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I had to get serious about my goals and what I wanted.
    I had to learn more about what I eat and nutrition
    I had to learn more about lifting and why I need to lift in a certain way.....Keep in mind that I have been in the gym for almost 20 yrs now.

Me in 2006
    003_22A_zpsb0941a7d.jpg

Me in Aug 2013 (right) and Dec 2013 (right)
    sidebyside_4_months_zpsf582aff9.jpg

Me on 07-24-2014
    photo019_zps770f91c9.jpg
  • __freckles__
    Options
    I guess we'll see. I seem to gain and lose the same 5lbs eating by the supposed right numbers the calorie calculators spit out. Lifting seems to make literally no difference at all. I feel like the people swearing they don't do cardio are lying.

Don't rely on calorie calculators. You need to figure out your TDEE by trial and error first and then work from there. Lifting will not help you lose weight. A calorie deficit will help you lose weight. Lifting just helps you maintain the muscle you have so you're more likely to lose just fat rather than fat AND LBM.

I swear I don't do cardio....but I also don't have visible abs.....yet! I'm also working on lowering my body fat%.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know once I'm done removing the layer of mayonnaise I promptly covered mine in.

:laugh: