HRM?

Options
MPD6944
MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
I plan on asking for one from my hubby for Christmas but have no idea which one to ask for. Anyone have any good experiences with a specific one? I want it to measure calories burned when I am on elliptical, treadmill, or strength training with my personal trainer.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I plan on asking for one from my hubby for Christmas but have no idea which one to ask for. Anyone have any good experiences with a specific one? I want it to measure calories burned when I am on elliptical, treadmill, or strength training with my personal trainer.
    I use a garmin.

I would warn you though that the calories burned are still going to just be a guestimate to whatever metrics they have loaded into their systems.

HRM's are more meant to monitor the intensity of workouts with the HR and the calories burned are just a bolt-on thing they add as a general guage.

I wouldnt consider it gospel to how many cals are burnt in any given workout.

I never look at the cals burned. matter of fact I took that option off all the displays. I use the HRM to guage how intesne my workouts are and what/when to switch things up or work a bit harder.

Too many people rely on those 'burns' and wonder why the numbers dont jive when it comes to weight loss.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar H7 in conjunction with the free Polar Beat app on my phone, it also works with my Polar Loop activity bracelet. This is a perfect combination for me and it does everything I want from it.
  • MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the both of you! My issue is I am at 1200 calories a day (I am 5'2" - 142.4 lbs.) and I always think if I burn too many calories working out that day and I only eat 1200 calories then it might not be enough and my body might hang on and not let me lose weight. People always say to eat 1/2 of your exercise calories. I do this and usually end up either not losing for the week or just losing like .2. Would a HRM be more accurate for figuring out my exercise calories? Any suggestions?