How Often?

Options
Do you weigh yourself? I've allowed myself to fall into the self destructive path of weighing myself daily because I am obsessed with the scale. As you know, you can vary everyday just in water weight and I've found myself being very discouraged by the numbers on the scale. So how often do you weigh yourself and how do you prevent yourself from doing it more frequently? I want to stay on this diet and have success, but are just feeling so defeated now.

Replies

• simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Initially I weighed 1x a week but now Im finding myself hopping on the scale 2x a day and I really have to stop that mess. I think I might have to move my scale out of my room and into the upstairs bathroom. Out of sight...out of mind???
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    only Friday morning.
  • tmwebb
    tmwebb Posts: 21
    Options
    First thing Saturday morning
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I limit myself to getting on the scales once every 10 days or so - it's absolutely right that your weight varies day to day dependent on how long since you ate, if you've been to the toilet etc etc so it's counter-productive to weigh yourself every day.
    Try and make sure you weigh yourself at the same time every day eg: after getting up and before breakfast - that way you will limit as many variations as possible.

Don't be downheartened if the scales don't immediately show a change. If you are combining exercise with watching what you eat then it will take longer to see a change. As you begin to exercise you lose fat and gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so at the start the change will be slow, or even non-existent. Stick with it though, because pound-for-pound muscle uses up more calories than fat, and so after a little while the weight loss will naturally speed up as you burn more calories ie: your metabolic rate increases.

Sorry - a long, rambling post but basically just stick with it, don't weigh yourself too often and the changes will come!

Good luck
  • womenonamission
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that weighing yourself on a daily bases causes you to focus so much more on the scales. I now weigh myself only once a week on Sunday. Then I do not think about the scales again until the next Sunday. That way I focus on my eating habits and my exercise. the scale is just one of the tools I use to help me see the progress that I am making each week. You might want to think about where you want your focus to be and place it there. It is a different place for each of us. rihgt now mine is on exercise because i am struggling with getting my habit started with exercise. Just remember this is a process that is a daily struggle. Find what works for you and stick with it.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    First thing every Tuesday morning, after using the toilet and in the buff. :happy:

And even though it's in the master bath, our toilet has it's own door that I keep closed. Out of site out of mind helps. But also, if we're in the living room, it's closer to use the guest bathroom so I do; there's no scale in there :wink:
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and I love it. It gives me the boost that i need to try harder or the confidence i need to keep going!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    2-3 times per week. Usually both when I know I'm NOT doing well and when I know I AM doing well. And like Friday or Saturday morning FIRST thing. But I only really count the Friday/Saturday morning weight, unless I lose in the middle. But either way, don't let it freak you out. Slow and steady is the way to win the race. It's got to change your whole life. And I know you can do it. No question :happy:
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    once a week!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    like the Biggest Loser...once a week

good luck and remember as you lose weight and wokout...you gain muscle mass
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, and measure once a week. For me weighing in everyday keeps me on track, I am aware of the fact that I can be a pound or two over from one day to the next, usually do to water weight. But I also know that if it stays up over a couple of days that I need to change somethng. I works for me, but I don't discourage easily either.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • jpondy
    jpondy Posts: 6
    Options
    First thing Monday morning in the buff. Doing it after the weekend, where all the temptations are, helps me to focus on not throwing away all the work I've done during the week. Focus on a big finish for Monday morning by turning that cheeseburger down on Saturday afternoon. Doing it only in the buff limits when it would be accurate to do. (Too lazy to remove clothes!)