Anyone work out on their lunch?? ADVICE please!

Options
Any advice? I have an hour for lunch every day. For t he past two days, I've gone walking 30-40minutes. It's been hot & I've been power walking so I've worked up a major sweat. There are no showers here at work. What can I do so that I don't feel gross coming back to work? I want to continue walking but I feel so gross since I sweated (SOO sunny!). Any tips/advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Any advice? I have an hour for lunch every day. For t he past two days, I've gone walking 30-40minutes. It's been hot & I've been power walking so I've worked up a major sweat. There are no showers here at work. What can I do so that I don't feel gross coming back to work? I want to continue walking but I feel so gross since I sweated (SOO sunny!). Any tips/advice would be appreciated!!
    Its awesome that you have the motivation (and a lunch hour as opposed to my measly half hour) to go workout during work.
    You could bring towels, baby wipes, deodorant and a change of clothes with you to work. The other option of course is to workout before or after work. I don't like time constraints so for example, I finish my ft teaching at 2:30, go workout after that, if I have to go to my part time job ( also teaching_) I still have three hours before I see my first student for that in between. Either way, more leeway than a lunch break which I think is more relaxing. If that is not an option for you, then go the towel/baby wipes/clothes route. Obviously you'll need to a lot some time to change and freshen up, which may cut into your workout time.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    They make wipes designed to be a fill in for a shower, I'd look into those. Baby wipes also work. Anything cool and damp with a nice scent will help you refresh.

I work out on my lunches too...but my job really doesn't care so I come back and stay in workout stuff the rest of my day.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I usually throw my hair up into a loose ponytail or bun... bring a towel, a wash cloth and a stick of deo. And just clean up the best I can.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Is there a gym near your workplace that has showers? Could be an expensive solution though! I would use the baby wipes/ change of clothes option if no shower nearby.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree with the baby wipes/deoderant comments but i'd also suggest dry spray shampoo. It keeps your hair from looking sweaty and/or greasy and ands some fullnes. Plus it smells nice. I know if my hair looks damp, I feel gross for the rest of the day.
  • onlystavros
    Options
    I do push ups on lunch if the mood strikes, luckily I'm in a position where I can just drop down in the office and start doing them. I don't like mixing working out with work though, I try to keep it at home.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to have a small locker room with showers @ my job site, so I'm fortunate in that area. The down-side is it is quite difficult to get a solid workout in and still have time to shower all in an hour. I've met with my boss & basically asked him if I could merge my afternoon break into my lunch hour on the days when I work out, so long as I'm not leaving work undone, and he's on board.

One word of advice on those cleaning wipes - be careful with how & where you use them. When I didn't include enough time to shower & merely wiped off some essential areas with some extremely cheap wipes I ended up with some very unpleasant side effects which lasted a very long time. Read online reviews or something before using those things religiously, the side-effects are nasty.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I bird bath it. I bring a wash cloth and hand towel and use the sink in the men's room. And use some deodorant. Best advice I can give you, shave you're head, so much lower maintenance :).
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Work out in a change of clothes, and bring baby wipes or moist towelettes to wipe yourself down with afterward.
  • Shan_Lindsay
    Shan_Lindsay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yep, the baby wipes and deoderant are the best thing.

Dry shampoo too if you want to keep your hair down - just dry your hair then use some dry shampoo spray to keep your hair looking clean!
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and I always change into workout clothes. I have done it before in my normal work attire, but I always feel so gross if I do that! (even when I walk lol!)

I recommend towels too, and the baby wipe thing seems like an awesome idea. (I am going to steal that one!) The Dry shampoo thing is great too.

If it is really hot out, there are tall buildings near our work that we can go to and do stairs.. if you don't want to be in the sun! Just another idea :)

Annie
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch time too, but I do it in a gym close by. I don't have time for shower, so I use a small towel to clean myself. I would suggest you to change your clothes before you go work out, come back clean yourself in the rest room using the sink, then change to your working clothes. Baby wipe is also a good idea. I have a friend using hand sanitizer for her body, but it dries my skin so I stop doing it. Hope it helps.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have an hour and spend 1/2 of it walking. It's not a massive workout but getting hot and sweaty isn't an option for me. So I do what I can and go back to work. So walk, find a quiet place and do 1/2 hour of stretching exercises, or yoga or resistance bands, or just about any kind of pilates or floor exercises. Some kind of activity for 1/2 your lunch hour is a great way to start.

Oops forgot a really good one, walk the stairs. I'm in a 12 floor building and walking the stairs is a great workout.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I bring a washcloth to the gym and just wipe down and reapply deodorant. My biggest problem is my hair, it never looks the same after I sweat, so yeah, dry shampoo would work I suppose. I do change into gym clothes so removing them, and wiping down helps in the after math.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am going through a similar issue. I try to do my full 30-40 minutes on my lunch break when the weather isn't so hot. However, if it gets too hot what I like to do is break up my walks into two 15 minute sessions. If you have a break in the AM try to use that time when it is cooler to walk for 15 minutes, and at lunch or in the evening, walk the other 15 or go swimming when you get home.

Now as far as cleaning up, I keep a stick of deodorant and some paper towels at my desk. I also wear my hair up and have a roll on perfume as well to help me smell nicer. Also if you get oily like me, you should look into facial wipes for your face (baby wipes are okay but strip my face too much) and use the baby wipes on your body if you still feel too sweaty.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes and deodorant. Maybe a subtle body spray - nothing strong - to spritz on yourself when you return to the office.

I get up at 5AM to work out before I leave the house for this very reason. Plus, I'm going to eat at lunch, not spend the majority of the time sweating and walking out in the heat. But you have to do what works for you.

Since I have a desk job and my own office, I do a short 10-minute cardio workout at the beginning of my lunch break just to make myself feel better after sitting on my *kitten* all day, but I don't do it for a calorie burn. If you have an office that you can do some cardio in, you may sweat less in air conditioning. I usually break a sweat, but nothing to warrant wiping myself down with baby wipes. And you could do more than walking.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Me! I go up and down 10 flights of stairs, take a walk around the block and come back up.

Keep deodorant, perfume + makeup remover wipes at bay.

ETA: I do this since I get up at 4am, I cook and weigh in all my food and I clock in at 6am, leave at 4pm and then to Uni, my day ends at about 9pm:frown:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of going outside in the sun, you could exercise in your building. Do you have stairs? You could go up and down stairs to get a work out.
  • Jaffsa
    Jaffsa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Most people answered this for you already with what I am going to say, but I will reiterate. :happy:

First off: I do the SAME exact thing! I love my afternoon walks.. so I can relate.
    I bring "workout clothes", baby wipes, a brush, and deodorant. I'm thinking about bringing a towel to dry off too because I live in S. Florida and its summer!
    I get back to the office with enough time to dry off, wipe down and compose myself before the hour is up.

Good luck and keep on movin'! :glasses:
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I must be *nasty*. I go for a 40-50 minute walk during my lunch hour, but just stay sweaty the rest of the afternoon. I will say, though, that I have my own office, don't come in contact with customers, and don't generally do meetings and other public gatherings. So, the only person I have to offend is me -- and I'm not easily offended.