Healthy Food to Buy at the Store

Options
I was wondering what are some healthy and yummy foods to buy at the grocery store? I know that fruits, vegetables, and chicken are very healthy and I already buy tons of them! But I was wondering what are some other snacks and meals that are actually healthy and taste good!! Thanks! Name of the brands are helpful btw. Thanks!

Replies

• augsburg92
    augsburg92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the Jolly Time Kettle Corn 100 calorie bags for snacks. That's about the only "boxed" item I buy since I mostly shop in the produce section. Good luck.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloins are so yummy on the grill, very lean and did I mention tasty.

I also like Belvita "crackers" I eat 1/2 a package which is 2 crackers. I get the Blueberry, they are super good and low cal.

Frozen yogurt also very yummy. I serve it to all the ice cream lover's that come over and they don't even know it is yogurt.

Inga
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! The kind that you buy in a bag or jar full of kernels. Any brand works. Either pop it in a pot on the stove or with an air popper. I never bother with microwave popcorn.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for soups and salads for easy quick meals. They can definitely be super low calorie but with soups you have to watch the ridiculous amount of sodium.

Those bags of pre-cooked grilled chicken or steak strips make a great addition to salads for adding protein when you don't have time to cook. They're also good for wraps. Look for a good quality tortilla: you can end up with a ton of fiber for few-ish calories. La Tortilla Factory has a bunch of different flavors and varieties that are full of fiber and protein, and some are only 100 calories.

Fish is another favorite for quick healthy meals. Throw on a little seasoning and bake, broil or grill, and you've got tons of tasty protein with relatively few calories. Add veggies and/or a starch and you have a great meal. Plus, some fish, like talapia, swai and flounder, are really cheap.

And don't forget the pork. Small pork sirloin roasts are pretty low fat, can be marinated or rubbed with spices and roasted pretty quickly, and they make up several meals.

For desserts, Vitatops are delicious 100 calorie muffin tops with lots of vitamins and protein. You can eat a ton of berries with Cool Whip Light for few calories (I just ate a huge bowl, essentially 20 tablespoons of whipped topping (90 grams) and a quarter cup of blueberries for less than 200 calories). Edy's slow-churned ice cream is especially good, with a very soft and creamy consistency and lots of good flavors like Key Lime Pie. Some other ice creams are lower in calories than you'd think, like Breyer's blast chocolate Oreo: 120 cals per serving. Just make sure you use a food scale and don't go nuts with the servings.

Athenos has fat free feta crumbles which are great on salads, wraps and homemade pizzas and have hardly any calories. They're not quite as creamy as the full-fat variety, but when you're mixing it with a bunch of stuff you don't miss the creaminess.

Pickled things are great snacks, and also good to add to salads and wraps. Watch the calories, though, because some of the sweeter varieties can actually be fairly high cal. I have some watermelon rind pickles that are 90 cals per serving and a jar of spicy bourbon maple pickle spears that are 70. Whereas plain dill are usually very low cal.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com

My grocery cart is typically filled with (note: I eat dairy free and gluten free):
    Chicken
    Ground turkey
    Ground beef
    Salmon
    100 calorie popcorn bags
    Chick peas
    Black beans
    White beans
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Cashews
    Sunflower seeds
    Garlic
    Asparagus
    Green beans
    Tomatoes
    Bell peppers
    White potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    Broccoli
    Romaine lettuce
    Blueberries
    Blackberries
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Watermelon
    Cantaloupe
    Bananas
    Avocados
    Brown rice
    Earth Balance
    Almond milk
    Udi's gluten free multigrain & flax bread
    Eggs
  • WestonFirm
    Options
    A California law firm is investigating whether the claims regarding the healthfulness of Healthy Pop Popcorn are accurate. If you have information or would like more information please contact Greg Weston at greg@westonfirm.com.

Advertisement