How to get enough Fibre

Options
Hi everyone - looking for a bit of help

I've been struggling a lot with weight loss and have made the decision to cut back on grains as a way of boosting my weight loss. I will still be eating carbs in vegetables and so on.

The main struggle im having is getting enough fibre - I was supplementing this with a high fibre cereal but as I move away from grains I wanted to stop that.

I did buy some psyllium husk powder but would rather eat naturally to supplement

Any suggestions on high fibre low grain foods?

Replies

• mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a great source of fiber and healthy fats (omega 3)
    1 oz has 11g of fiber.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Here's a big list of high fiber foods: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml

Some of them are grains, but many aren't!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    black beans, black eyed peas, lentils, avocado, spinach, carrots
  • GymJams
    GymJams Posts: 4
    Options
    I hope im not hijacking this, but I was looking for posts on fibre and this caught my eye. I agree with the chia seeds, funnily enough just started using them yesterday as they are great source in fibre and zero calories. But, I wanted to know, is there a way of knowing how much fibre we are consuming on MyFitness Pal? Wouldnt it be great to have a fibre counter to keep us on track?
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    1 quest bar is 18g of fiber :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I hope im not hijacking this, but I was looking for posts on fibre and this caught my eye. I agree with the chia seeds, funnily enough just started using them yesterday as they are great source in fibre and zero calories. But, I wanted to know, is there a way of knowing how much fibre we are consuming on MyFitness Pal? Wouldnt it be great to have a fibre counter to keep us on track?

If you are accessing MFP from a computer, you can opt to track Fiber in your diary.

If you're accessing it from an app, it's in your daily nutrition.
  • GymJams
    GymJams Posts: 4
    Options
    Ah, thanks that makes sense as I use computer. What a shame!
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ah, thanks that makes sense as I use computer. What a shame!

I think you may have misunderstood. You can track fiber on the MFP website. Go to the Food tab, Settings sub-tab, and select Fiber in one of the available slots under Nutrients Tracked.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Yep you can track fibre on here.

Why the decrease in grains they're so good for you and a great source of energy especially if you are doing any cardio?

How about limiting grains to one meal a day rather than cutting them completely?
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    metamucil?? fibre drink. im goning to start up on this soon. i dont think i really get any fibre :P
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Figs/dates/prunes - dried or fresh.

Also, pears when slightly overripe seem to really have a lot of fibre going on.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

I did buy some psyllium husk powder but would rather eat naturally to supplement

Actually psyllium husks are a source of fibre that's about as natural as it comes, as they are just the outer casing of psyllium seeds.

Many fibre products contain psyllium husks as one of the ingredients but if you buy them whole or ground with nothing added then it's a natural and minimally processed product.

I usually just take a teaspoon in a cup of water when I wake each morning, then it's done and dusted for the day.
  • TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Metamucil is a drink in Aus, that contains this. not sure how it goes internationally.. but some doctors will actually tell patience to use this if they have a diet low in fiber.. and you can buy it in the supermarket..
  • murph1349
    murph1349 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is a fiber count. Click at the bottom of the screen for the "full report." By going into settings you can change it to show on the page with calories, fat, protein, etc if you're willing to move one of the currently showing categories. I moved Sodium off and added fiber on mine.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Chia seeds are not zero calories--I have the Nutiva brand, and they're 60 calories per tbsp. However, they are an excellent source of fiber and omega 3 fats! And they make a tasty pudding.
  • letsgetpristine
    Options
    Just for fun, high fibre (Cdn spelling), since psyllium, comes from a fruit (papains) that is similar, and slightly bigger than bananas, why not just eat bananas (tastes better than psyllium, and they're usually 57 cents/lb everywhere). Grains-- wide variety of good tasting (especially organic) unprocessed grains, like Kamut for eg., are at bulk food stores (one of the best prices for raw foods), and have a good fibre content; I don't cook them, just soak them in water for a while (how long depends on your taste, and, also on the specific type of beans/vegetable you soak, w/o the loss of vitamins usually occurring through cooking); the less I cook something, i.e., the more raw it is, the less I eat of it, and also, the better it tastes.

Chick peas, dried (different colored ones), very high in fibre, I eat soaked in water (or weak tea),and I eat them regularly, just soaked. Also, almost any kind of beans, can be soaked, and the various kinds of beans, have different flavors, textures, appearances, so they're fun to eat.

Some dried beans/peas, have much higher fibre content (I have seen even 26 g. of fibre per serving on some dried beans); there is even a concentrated soya powder (I actually feel greater strength in my muscles, when I have been eating this concentrated soya product, upon doing my many sets of pushups--the former Jack LaLanne, sports expert was doing 700 pushups per day, when he was 77 years old),
    that actually is just UNDER, the amount of protein, that is in whey powder, w/o the cholesterol, and with less calories

Various fruits, all have fibre, and I find that the more fruits I eat, the better my digestion.

Soaking gives you 'sprouted' foods, which presumably gives you a higher concentration of nutrients (some have called this "culturing" the foods); for some vegetables, just add water with the vegetable, for eg., and leave it out in the open (kitchen countertop) for a few days (eg. 3 days), changing the water daily.

Even sauerkraut, homemade can be made, even w/o salt, and apparently, celery has salt already in it, so you could add celery, instead of salt (different foods, already contain sodium w/o adding any sodium to them). "Culturing" would then provide you with greater concentration of nutrients, so you'd need to eat less. "Sprouted bread" and other sprouted foods, in the supermarket usually cost more, and the more you eat food that is cooked, or heated to high temp., generally speaking, the more you age (and some people then advocate supplementing with Vit. B12 to counteract the potential higher homocysteine levels). Some writers claim, however that there is greater nutrition in bread's crust, than in the actual non-crust portion.

I see protein supplements for sale, from "rice protein" , "red yeast rice", "wild rice"; I have read that rice, especially wild rice, is suggested to be simply soaked, instead of cooked; red yeast rice, is apparently even more concentrated in nutrients, compared to brown rice (which is considered by many, to be higher in nutrition, compared to white rice) ; red yeast rice, apparently very good for lowering cholesterol levels (mind you Dr. Kummerlow, a 99 year old cholesterol researcher, in the Chicago area, is still doing research today, and he provides excellent ideas about what kinds of cholesterol is bad, which trans fats (partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, for eg.), and talks about oxidized cholesterol (heated cholesterol is very bad for you, like fried eggs); he still eats eggs everyday, thinks daily exercise is very important.

I know that when I eat raw foods, I feel full on less food, even without soaking the food. (incidentally, I saw a website from a cancer association, with a suggested diet, of "raw foods, mostly"--by the way I've never had cancer); Why buy expensive nutrition supplements, when you can concentrate the nutrients by 'culturing' the food, soaking the food, for a few days, just in water?

Also, I have read that fermenting vegetables, like soya beans, creates a vegetable food with Vit. B12 (and apparently before soaking, only animal meats had vitamin B12; I say apparently, because I have seen Barley powder products, in grocery stores, advertising that each serving provides 100 per cent of the Vit. B12 requlrements--do they soak the barley? Have a beer instead--? A friend of mine, with a Master's in Brewing Science almost never drinks beer.
    Also, fermented soya beans, such as natto (a Japanese product from Japan), also produced in Canada, by Korean-Canadian companies, provides the highest concentration of Vit. K2, of any food source, as far as I know (others, less concentrated Vit. K2 food sources are: Gouda cheese, Brie cheese), and according to a Canadian (and other) naturopathic physician, without adequate Vit. K2, you will get osteoporosis, and that's everyone.

All this, is from London, Ont. (P.S.), where I only started reading about nutrition this year.

Just for fun, about fibre...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I just checked, and 2 cups of garbanzo beans are all my fiber needs for the day. Though I don't mind getting more and certainly did today.