Should I get a personal trainer?

Options
I wouldn't mind some advice from you guys...I recently have made a commitment to myself to get fit for the first time in my life and in addition to taking up running I joined a gym late last week (Freedom Fitness). I'm a complete noob when it comes to the gym so I am very intimidated by the free weights and even the machine weight area. I can't bring up the guts to even step foot in the area. Cardio doesn't intimidate me at all but I expect to do most of it running outside. I spoke with a personal trainer at the gym this weekend for about 10 minutes and then met with him for an hour and a half yesterday to have an assessment, discuss my goals etc. I like him a lot and he seems to really know his stuff and be passionate about fitness. We determined my body fat %, he informed me of several issues I'd be facing which I'd already guessed at because I'd injured my knees pretty quickly when I took l up running, and I felt that it was overall a very in depth assessment. He'd like to focus on improving my core issues, strength training, and cardio to a lesser amount. I have very little weight to lose, I'm "skinny fat" and I am severely lacking in muscle, always have been. My main goal is to tone and build muscle and he seems very on board with that.

I know it's not absolutely necessary to use a personal trainer but I'll tell you...I'm a pretty lazy person. Because a lot of people think I look pretty good as is, it's not like I have that motivation. I've joined a gym in the past but I went 4 times at most and just got lazy and gave up. I've been very, very sedentary for most of my life. I really want to do this finally now, so in my case is it worth paying the money for it you think? It's alot of money for us to shell out at the moment as we live on one income right now while I stay home with my daughter, and I don't want to waste the money because we really can't afford it unless a trainer will help get me good results and get me motivated to keep going to the gym. I'm supposed to meet with him again tomorrow for our first workout and to finalize the $$. I think he wants me to commit to at least 6 sessions a month for a year, and in my research the amount he's asking for monthly seems to be about the average. He wasn't super pushy nor did he give off a sleazy salesman vibe, and in fact $$ was only discussed for like the last 10 minutes of our assessment. Does this guy around like a good choice?

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind some advice from you guys...I recently have made a commitment to myself to get fit for the first time in my life and in addition to taking up running I joined a gym late last week (Freedom Fitness). I'm a complete noob when it comes to the gym so I am very intimidated by the free weights and even the machine weight area. I can't bring up the guts to even step foot in the area. Cardio doesn't intimidate me at all but I expect to do most of it running outside. I spoke with a personal trainer at the gym this weekend for about 10 minutes and then met with him for an hour and a half yesterday to have an assessment, discuss my goals etc. I like him a lot and he seems to really know his stuff and be passionate about fitness. We determined my body fat %, he informed me of several issues I'd be facing which I'd already guessed at because I'd injured my knees pretty quickly when I took l up running, and I felt that it was overall a very in depth assessment. He'd like to focus on improving my core issues, strength training, and cardio to a lesser amount. I have very little weight to lose, I'm "skinny fat" and I am severely lacking in muscle, always have been. My main goal is to tone and build muscle and he seems very on board with that.

I know it's not absolutely necessary to use a personal trainer but I'll tell you...I'm a pretty lazy person. Because a lot of people think I look pretty good as is, it's not like I have that motivation. I've joined a gym in the past but I went 4 times at most and just got lazy and gave up. I've been very, very sedentary for most of my life. I really want to do this finally now, so in my case is it worth paying the money for it you think? It's alot of money for us to shell out at the moment as we live on one income right now while I stay home with my daughter, and I don't want to waste the money because we really can't afford it unless a trainer will help get me good results and get me motivated to keep going to the gym. I'm supposed to meet with him again tomorrow for our first workout and to finalize the $$. I think he wants me to commit to at least 6 sessions a month for a year, and in my research the amount he's asking for monthly seems to be about the average. He wasn't super pushy nor did he give off a sleazy salesman vibe, and in fact $$ was only discussed for like the last 10 minutes of our assessment. Does this guy around like a good choice?

Wants you to commit to a year? Sounds like a sleazy salesman to me.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I have used a personal trainer . I have signed up for 6 one hour sessions- Usually when gym having a promotion and I get another hour free).. The assessment and goal setting didn't count as a session and we assessed my goals fitness level then make a plan. I thought it was worth the money for that limited time. Also gave the background using machines and free weights. If an hour is too much I have also just broken it down into 1/2 hr sesions
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Knowing now what I didn't know then.. Yes get one, but go with someone like at a local Y - have them teach you the machines, and what muscles they work or what they do.
    Then google the *kitten* out of workouts and go in and do those every day.
    As far as motivation, money has never worked for me. Even though I'm on a tight @ss budget.
    I've luckily found a bootcamp in my town that is basically a "personal-group" trainer. There's a group of us and one of her to tell us what machiens to do and when. For 40 bucks!!!! Yes I'm in po-dunk. lol

But I'd definetly get one for a few sessions to milk thier brain.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're in the exact same spot I was in when I started. I couldn't really afford it either, but I knew the only way I would commit to going at all is if there was a monetary value on it. My gym offered a payment plan, so I signed up for three months of training and paid for it over eight months. But it's been three years and I've been going religiously since then. Having a trainer made me feel comfortable in the gym. Along with getting the hang of what to do (and doing it properly!) I also got to know the rest of the staff and a lot of the regulars. It is expensive, but I found it was completely worth it.

Edit: If you're going to invest, have them show you proper form with real progression in the weight room and skip the machines. They're okay for accessory work, but the bulk of what you need to do re lifting is best done with a barbell. :happy:
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can find a lot of stuff on youtube that will show you proper form. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good one.
  • LexisFitMom87
    Options
    Personal Trainers can be very helpful because a lot of people don't know what they are doing and can actually end up hurting themselves or they just won't see results because they aren't doing the right things or not doing things correctly. If getting fit and tone is something you're really interested in I say go for it.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just on the topic of personal trainers, I hired one and really benefited from it. While I've never had an issue going to a gym and using weights, my trainer helped me with proper form, created 3 workout plans for me so I could switch out exercises to avoid getting bored, and just overall helped me do a more efficient workout in the same amount of time I was spending before. I feel it was money well spent.

The cost was $30 per hour-long session with the cost decreasing if I bought a group of sessions in advance, and there was no monthly obligation or other commitment. However, this was at the gym on my campus and they weren't really doing it for a big profit like a commercial gym might. I can't speak to whether the person you spoke with is on the level, but it never hurts to get a second estimate. In fact it may be better to find an independent certified fitness instructor who doesn't work for any specific gym and see what they charge.

Good luck!
  • LauraFouhse
    LauraFouhse Posts: 115
    Options
    DO IT!! Your story sounds similar to mine. I joined a gym one year ago and met with a personal trainer. Very similar.. he did an initial assessment and I bought a 6 session package. Then I bought a 10 month package. I have gone from a complete slug to competing in triathlons, lifting heavy weights, biking everywhere I go. I work out with my trainer 3x per week every singel week. Yes, I've lost weight and body fat but more importantly my quality of life improved dramatically. Could I have done this on my own? probably! But I would never have gotten the results or had so much fun as I have had working with my PT.
    I just bought another 10 month package!
  • thebluewyvern
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone! I appreciate all the comments.

My worry is that I just know myself...I know there's other ways to get this accomplished for far cheaper. I've googled stuff, had my husband help me with things I can do at home, etc...I just never keep it up. Once the initial excitement wears off I just stop doing it. I don't want that to happen this time, so I was hoping that a trainer would help me keep on track. I am usually motivated when it comes to money, because not only can we not afford to waste a chunk of money every month, I'd have to answer to my husband about how I'm wasting his hard earned money when he does go above and beyond to earn enough money to allow me to stay home with our daughter. Also, I'm a stickler for honoring commitments to other people so if I have standing appointments to see a trainer I will not fail to show. I guess I'm just unsure because being a total noob to fitness, I second guess my feelings on whether this opportunity is what would be considered a good one. I hear horror stories about worthless trainers that end up being a waste of money. And I'm leery of committing to such a large amount of money (as it would be over the course of a year) to something I've never tried before. From what I'm getting in my searches online it seems unusual that a reputable trainer would want someone to commit to a full year up front...I'm worried that my scam alarm should be going off when its not, as sullus mentioned earlier, but that was the only thing that didn't settle well with me, in every other way he seems genuine and likely to tailor a very specific plan to my needs (what with my knee issues as well).

Maybe if I can convince him to let me try it using only a 3 month commitment or 6 months at most, I will spring for it!

Edit: I'm not really interested in shopping around for other trainers because I'd rather do it at this gym since I'm already a member there. It has childcare so I can have them watch my 3 year old while I'm there, this is essential. I guess I should have worded my topic differently: Should I get THIS personal trainer, not A personal trainer lol.

Also, I liked that he was excited when I told him I was more interested in the free weights than the machines. I hear of some trainers just plopping their clients on the machines and then what are you paying them for? I can count reps on my own...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone! I appreciate all the comments.

My worry is that I just know myself...I know there's other ways to get this accomplished for far cheaper. I've googled stuff, had my husband help me with things I can do at home, etc...I just never keep it up. Once the initial excitement wears off I just stop doing it. I don't want that to happen this time, so I was hoping that a trainer would help me keep on track. I am usually motivated when it comes to money, because not only can we not afford to waste a chunk of money every month, I'd have to answer to my husband about how I'm wasting his hard earned money when he does go above and beyond to earn enough money to allow me to stay home with our daughter. Also, I'm a stickler for honoring commitments to other people so if I have standing appointments to see a trainer I will not fail to show. I guess I'm just unsure because being a total noob to fitness, I second guess my feelings on whether this opportunity is what would be considered a good one. I hear horror stories about worthless trainers that end up being a waste of money. And I'm leery of committing to such a large amount of money (as it would be over the course of a year) to something I've never tried before. From what I'm getting in my searches online it seems unusual that a reputable trainer would want someone to commit to a full year up front...I'm worried that my scam alarm should be going off when its not, as sullus mentioned earlier, but that was the only thing that didn't settle well with me, in every other way he seems genuine and likely to tailor a very specific plan to my needs (what with my knee issues as well).

Maybe if I can convince him to let me try it using only a 3 month commitment or 6 months at most, I will spring for it!

Edit: I'm not really interested in shopping around for other trainers because I'd rather do it at this gym since I'm already a member there. It has childcare so I can have them watch my 3 year old while I'm there, this is essential. I guess I should have worded my topic differently: Should I get THIS personal trainer, not A personal trainer lol.

Also, I liked that he was excited when I told him I was more interested in the free weights than the machines. I hear of some trainers just plopping their clients on the machines and then what are you paying them for? I can count reps on my own...

I think you can benefit from a trainer. No trainers are not absolutely necessary, but I think you have identified the reasons why you would benefit, and it sounds like you are being honest with yourself.

Having said that, there is no way you should commit for a year. 10-12 sessions is a good amount to start--it's enough to get a good feel for the exercises and the trainer, and it's long enough to start to experience some positive changes. I have a number of clients on 6 or 12 month packages. Almost every one started with 1 or 2 10-packs before committing long term. You pay more per visit, but have more flexibility. A good trainer and ethical establishment will be happy with that.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    He might want you to commit to a year of turning up at gym, maybe not actually signing a bit of paper that locks you in with him specifically? If you've mentioned your concerns about motivation to him, this could be a way to help you with that. Seeing your individual workouts as part of your end goals over a longer time period can be motivating (Although if he does mean actually signing a contract for a year I would say no, a lot can happen in a year!).

About motivation - I found my PT (who is AWESOME) really motivated me at the start (and continues to do so) but I think you also have to have your own goals/motivation, someone else can't motivate you forever. For me, it was about the short term results I wanted, but also looking at fitness over the long term - I try and have the attitude that this is now part of my life, not something to be done for a month, 6 months or a year. You need to find that reason that will get you up or out to the gym and no-one can really give you that. They can give you the tools, but you need to find that compelling reason that won't let you quit.

Surrounding yourself with the right tools - a good PT, maybe friends at the gym who you can commit to meeting with once a week etc - is a really important start though, so good on you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    IMO, a couple sessions to "feel out" how it works for you won't hurt. PT's have different philosophies, so where one may incorporate more functional training, another may go with a basic strength training, and another may go with a fitness training program. One of my clients went through 2 other trainers till she was satisfied with me. So don't feel if you hire one and don't like their style of training or lack of variety, that you have to stick with them or if choosing another trainer offends them. I've had people dump me for other trainers and to me it's nothing personal.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition