Snacking?

Options
I have a bit of a dilemma right now--I only work 4 hours a day (Monday-Friday), so that means I don't get a lunch break, and since I work with little kids, there's no way to sneak a snack. :)

I start work at 10 and get off at 2, and am usually home by 2:30...we eat dinner around 5-5:30, so it doesn't make sense to me to have a "normal sized" lunch after work because by the time I sit down to eat it there may only be two hours left until we have dinner. So I have been eating Slim Fast bars for lunch since I started counting my calories on MFP. However, I am usually at a huge deficit because of this. I'm never particularly hungry, and I feel kind of guilty thinking of snacking simply to get to my goal. So I guess my question is, are there any higher calorie snacks that you would recommend so I at least get closer to my goal but don't tiptoe the line between healthy and unhealthy snacking? Or, any "lunch" options that won't make me stuffed for dinner, but can at least tide me over until then? I usually eat around 8:30 am, so I definitely can't go until 5-5:30 without eating again.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Why not have your dinner a littler later? Like at 7pm? Or else have your dinner a little earlyer (when you come home from work) and then have ''lunch'' later on in the day?
    If they are not an option then I dont know what else for you to do.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    calories in ¼ cup peanuts: 200
    and
    calories in dried apricots: (four halves): 35
  • LMYERS94
    LMYERS94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Would there be a way to have a slightly earlier breakfast then something before you work, then have a little something else when you get off? Kind of like a split lunch I guess in other words??
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I kind of eat when my mom is done cooking, and that could be anywhere from 5-6 usually. Thankfully in a few weeks that will change. haha
  • newnotnew
    newnotnew Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter: 190 Calories
    Avocado: 200 calories
    Any kind of cooking oil: 100 calories per TBSP

Or... If it fits in your macros and its a treat.. just eat it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you work in a daycare?

If yes, why don't you eat lunch when the kids eat lunch? I worked in a daycare and always ate my lunch with the kids (I worked in the infant and toddler rooms so I worked with little kids also).
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you work in a daycare?

If yes, why don't you eat lunch when the kids eat lunch? I worked in a daycare and always ate my lunch with the kids (I worked in the infant and toddler rooms so I worked with little kids also).

All of the teachers at my work help out with lunch duty because there are no "extra" lunch ladies on duty--it's a summer school program, so the kids get school lunch. I know, it's a really strange situation. It's only for a few more weeks luckily.