Insoles for running. Arch pain.

Options
So I'm having this problem with my arch on both feet. I'm wearing the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14. They feel comfortable to walk in but when I start running and jogging in them, I start to feel the pain gradually increasing. It starts about a mile of running or 2-3 miles of jogging. I need a good insoles that have a great support on the arch since the insoles provided in the adrenaline gts 14 sucks really bad.

So far, I found insoles that have good reviews.
Superfeet Green
Superfeet Orange
Spenco
-still looking for some-

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm leaning towards the superfeet brand.
Now the next problem is the perfect size that supports my arch. I've heard that when you buy the range of foot size, you wouldn't get the full support of the arch. Like if you have a shoe size within the B range (superfeet size chart) and you don't get the full arch support, you will have to move up the size chart of the superfeet to get that full arch support.

Is it okay if my arch isn't touching the insole? or do I need to go up the size chart? HELP! I wanna run with ease, not with arch pain :sad:

Btw, I wear size 10 shoes and I have a normal arch. (Can I wear superfeet green or orange even though I have normal arch?)

Replies

• hehesheppy
    Options
    I have flat feet and I used that Dr Scholls machine that you stand on it and tells you which insole you need. I spent $50 and so far so good. Usually when I run without my insoles it really hurts my ankles and shins (because I use Nike freeruns even though I know I need shoes with arch support but that's just me being stubborn). Ever since I got the insoles it's been great and almost no pain. Just my experience :)
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Were you fitted for your shoes at a running store? One that does a gait analysis? I've never come across a runner that would put insoles in their running shoes. I would say you've either got the wrong shoes for your feet/gait, or some other problem that wouldn't be fixed by insoles. With the pain coming in after a certain length of running, I'm inclined to say it's either form driven or the kind of soreness that new runners just have to work through. If you run far enough, does the pain begin to lessen?
  • aciestguy
    Options
    Let me give you my honest opinion,in fact It is crazy but I have been trying these artificial cartilage foam insoles for a while and trust me they are as good as they claim to be. I bought them after watching this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v06rjQb3-xw, and trust me it was one of the best decisions I ever took for my body. I have been using them for over a month now, and I no longer wake up sore in the morning, and most importantly I can now run/play much longer without fatigue.
    As a friendly advice, I’d request you to go and check these out at their webpage www.artilage.com, and order a pair for yourself.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Do you have high arches? Are you sure a stability shoe, like the Adrenaline, is best for you? Have you gone to a dedicated running shop, or did you just pick Adrenalines off the wall? Insoles are pretty much an unnecessary upsell...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My sports doc told me to stay away from pre-made insoles. For the most part, you should get the shoe that fits your foot, not try to make up the difference via insoles. For some people (like me) custom insoles are required.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I'm not of the "don't get insoles" camp.

I get fitted for my running shoes AND I put in the Superfeet insoles because they offer a bit more padding than what's in the actual shoe.

OP: First and foremost if you have not done so already get fitted for shoes at a running store.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    As many others said go to a good running store and get fitted. Good Luck

29509743.png

Beware though running can become an addiction
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Do you have high arches? Are you sure a stability shoe, like the Adrenaline, is best for you? Have you gone to a dedicated running shop, or did you just pick Adrenalines off the wall? Insoles are pretty much an unnecessary upsell...

THIS! I had the opposite problem ...I ran in Brooks Ghost (neutral shoe) and they felt great walking but hurt more and more for running. I switched to a stability shoe (Asics Gel Kayano) and it's been great. If you have high arches, you might be better off with a neutral option. I highly recommend getting fitted!