Exercize Time!!

Options
Tonight is the first time i have ever been to an exercize group and as i dont usually exercize i will ache tomorrow or friday!!

Does anyone know how to prevent this?

also....

What is spaghetti squash i have never heard of it! I may be being thick here but really am confused and want to try it for my tea tonight!

Thankyou :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rperr30
    rperr30 Posts: 35
    Options
    Tonight is the first time i have ever been to an exercize group and as i dont usually exercize i will ache tomorrow or friday!!

Does anyone know how to prevent this?

also....

What is spaghetti squash i have never heard of it! I may be being thick here but really am confused and want to try it for my tea tonight!

Thankyou :flowerforyou:
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    The only way I can think of to help prevent being sore is to start out slow. If you exercise until you feel it burning you will be sore. Hope this helps.:wink:
  • rperr30
    Options
    I was thinking that but knowing me i will probably just go for it not realising what i am going to feel like the next day! Hopefully it will be an eas class i go to!
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Remember to stretch before and after. Stretch more than you think is necessary. This can really help prevent soreness.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Soreness is fat leaving the body? :wink:

You can still exercise with a sore body, and should do so. After my first strength training class, it hurt to move into a sitting position. Now it just is a little uncomfortable afterwards. Stretch and walk slowly after the class - this will relax those muscles. You'll still be sore, but probably not as sore. Walk the next day too, no matter how sore you are. It will warm up the muscles and relax them. Don't lift the next day though, let those muscles relax.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch...before and after.

The best way to control soreness when you first start out exercising is to warm up for at least 10 minutes and stretch your muscles. When you're done working out, stretch again. It will release the latic acids built up in your muscle fibers.

If you're sore the next day, DON'T STOP WORKING OUT. Go for a nice slow walk or something and warm up your muscles. That should relieve the soreness.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    As for the spagetti squash. Steam it and take a fork and run it down lengthwise, it will release the fiberous flesh and look like spagetti noodles, you can put spagetti sauce on it (tomato based sauce) and or just a little sauteed minced garlic in a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Yummy and good for you. Much better than pasta.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stretching. I disagree with the working out if you are sore the next day.

Maybe it depends on what kind of exercise. I really couldn't say much about cardio specifically, but I would apply the same advice anyway. For any kind of weight training, working out the next day when you are sore is exactly what you shouldn't do. Your muscles develop during the rest period, not the work out.

If you do not give your muslces chance to rest, you will be over-trained and in a general state of soreness all the time with little development. It is recommended to take 1 - 2 days between work outs.

For myself, I like to work out every day, so I do split weight lifting routines which I also alternate with cardio. It's easy to get your 60 min + of exercise every day without over training.
  • rperr30
    Options
    thanks everyone!