Maintaining but growing tummy fat

Options
I am on MFP from 8 months, 5 feet 6 inches Male.
I started with 172 pounds and currently 144.

I am now maintaining at 142 - 144 from 2 months.

Cardio 2 - 3 times for 30 mins and then doing some Abs work for 20 mins 2 - 3 times a week.

All looks fine as far as weight maintainence is concerned.
But I am not gaining musle and my tummy is growing.

Not sure whats going on and why.
I track my food regularly.

Anyone faced this? And guidence would be appreciated.
Tahnks

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Are you doing anything to build muscle? Most men are looking to build upper body muscle. If you don't do exercises that push for that, the muscle doesn't grow. Both my (young, super skinny) sons have fantastic shoulders and upper arms and don't do a lot more than carry 20 pound backpacks around all day and do pushups at night. Obviously lifting weights would do more. But think about that.

On your tummy . . . they also do crunches and planks - old fashioned but effective. Might your tummy be sticking out because of bloating? That would be a diet thing.
  • xplosion80
    xplosion80 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thnaks.

Yes, I do 20 mins 3 times a day, exercise involving crunches, pushups , squats and planks.

I increased my protein. Thinking of Protein /Whey drinks but yet to start.

I am more looking for a fit body/healthy BMI at this stage and flat stomach rather than 6 packs and muscular bicepts.

May be you are right. It could be bloating. I had bloating in past but it goes off in 3 days.

Thanks again.
  • justunrick
    justunrick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When you are doing ab exercises to build stomach muscle. That muscle you are building will push and stomach fat or skin out and will appear you stomach is getting bigger.
  • int0x21
    int0x21 Posts: 2
    Options
    A six pack is achived in the kitchen.
    The thing that can be done in the gym to help though is to focus more on strength and less on cardio.

Maintaining or getting lean body mass is 2 parts
    When you workout you are breaking the body down you want to make sure you are breaking as much fat instead of muscle this meens dropping the cardio.
    And then is the anabolic phase where you want to get a good amount of protien.

Also to get a high anabolic responce train hard and lift heavy.
    A tip is to check out leangains.