Questions About Calories! Help!

Options
queenierz
queenierz Posts: 210 Member
Hey guys. Just a quick curious question. So my TDEE is around 1700-1800, and my calorie goal is 1700 for now. I'm wondering that if I do eat 1700 calories exactly on a day, and burnt 300 calories that same day, can I eat extra 300 calories (2000 in total), or was the 1700 calories-goal included the activeness of my workouts already so I shouldn't exceed that amount? Thanks!

Replies

• numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    yes. when you burn 300 calories through exercise on a day you ate 1700, you'd be netting 1400, which puts you under your calorie goal. if you eat 2000 calories on a day you burn 300, you'll net your goal of 1700. any exercise calories you do should be added to your calorie goal to figure out how many calories you should be eating per day.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Just a quick curious question. So my TDEE is around 1700-1800, and my calorie goal is 1700 for now. I'm wondering that if I do eat 1700 calories exactly on a day, and burnt 300 calories that same day, can I eat extra 300 calories (2000 in total), or was the 1700 calories-goal included the activeness of my workouts already so I shouldn't exceed that amount? Thanks!

Hey girl. I'm pretty sure your TDEE (1700) includes your activity level, so you're generally not supposed to eat back exercise calories.

However if your TDEE is based on you doing a certain number of hours of exercise, but you do more exercise than that, you can eat back the extra exercise calories lost. E.g. Your TDEE is based on 3h/week but you do 4 hours, you can eat back the calories for that 4th hour.

Somebody else plz correct me if I am confused on this!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

You need to eat less than your TDEE to lose weight. And if you're using the TDEE formula you eat the same every day. If you eat at your TDEE you maintain weight. Eat above it you gain weight.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Hey girl. I'm pretty sure your TDEE (1700) includes your activity level, so you're generally not supposed to eat back exercise calories.

However if your TDEE is based on you doing a certain number of hours of exercise, but you do more exercise than that, you can eat back the extra exercise calories lost. E.g. Your TDEE is based on 3h/week but you do 4 hours, you can eat back the calories for that 4th hour.

Somebody else plz correct me if I am confused on this!

Correct. Exercise is already included in your TDEE. Using TDEE you should record all activity as 1 cal.

Also, At your age and weight a TDEE may be a bit low at 1700. Just sayin.

ETA: keep forgetting the slash when bolding
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    yes. when you burn 300 calories through exercise on a day you ate 1700, you'd be netting 1400, which puts you under your calorie goal. if you eat 2000 calories on a day you burn 300, you'll net your goal of 1700. any exercise calories you do should be added to your calorie goal to figure out how many calories you should be eating per day.

This is true if you are using the MFP method. When using the TDEE method, you generally include exercise and would not eat exercise calories back. As someone mentioned, this way you eat the same amount every day.
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    Depends if you want to lose or maintain weight. If you want to maintain this yes but if you want to lose then no. You need to create a calorie deficet in order to lose weight.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options

This is true if you are using the MFP method. When using the TDEE method, you generally include exercise and would not eat exercise calories back. As someone mentioned, this way you eat the same amount every day.

oh -- oops! i got confused between them. thanks for correcting me.