Mole removal been told to see gp for results

Options
I am so scared and just need to get it off my chest, had a mole removed in my back and have just got home to see a letter to say I need to see my gp. I'm thinking the worst of the worst, but am I worrying too much? What could it be if it isn't what I'm thinking? Has anyone else been in the same situation? Going to try see gp tomorrow

Thanks x

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Worrying about it will not help you. Try not to think about it till you see your doctor. It may be nothing. I bet it's nothing.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Make your appointment now to see your doctor. The worst part is when you get a letter like that that's vague. Many times it's something they want to look at again (biopsy) or watch as in wait-and-see. Don't assume the worst...it's bad enough not knowing but to get yourself stirred up is only more miserable. Call the office now before they close and get the first appointment you can. You deserve an answer. Good luck and best wishes for a positive outcome :flowerforyou:
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am so scared and just need to get it off my chest, had a mole removed in my back and have just got home to see a letter to say I need to see my gp. I'm thinking the worst of the worst, but am I worrying too much? What could it be if it isn't what I'm thinking? Has anyone else been in the same situation? Going to try see gp tomorrow

Thanks x

Just try and relax. I feel like if it was something pretty serious they wouldn't have taken the time to type out a letter and send it through the mail which you then wouldn't have received for at least a couple of days, right? They would have called you straight away.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My GP has a policy of ALL results have to be given in person GOOD or BAD, its to ensure privacy they dont want people ringing up over the phone pretending to be someone else :flowerforyou:
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Thanks x

There are a lot of possibilities. Don't dwell on the worst case senerio, it will just make you crazy. If the test came back showing abnormal cells they might have to take a bit more tissue from around where the mole was (maybe even go deeper). This does not mean you have skin cancer. They do this so that it doesn't develop into cancer over time. I have had one come back abnormal. I was scared also but the procedure wasn't bad and I recovered quick. My advice would be to try and calm down and wait and see what your doctor has to say. Make sure you protect your skin from now on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree, they can't leave that info on your answering machine. But yeah, my dad went through the same thing, they just ended up removing more moles and a bit of extra skin, and he was just fine.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had a mole removed. When they examined the removed mole, they thought it was a worrisome one. But, they just went back and took a slightly bigger margin to be safe. That was over 20 years ago. I barely have a scar.
    Good luck tomorrow.
    Feel free to PM me if you need someone to share with...
  • jadejo63
    jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone u have helped a lot, as it's uk time here it was 9pm last night when I wrote it lol, but I got to go to work til 2 then I am going to ask to see dr today x
  • jadejo63
    Options
    Hi everyone thanks for your help, I have just seen the doctor and the mole had abnormal cells, called atypia, but it's all completely cut out and luckily I had it done, am now going to be referred to a dermatologist at the hospital to check my others xx
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone thanks for your help, I have just seen the doctor and the mole had abnormal cells, called atypia, but it's all completely cut out and luckily I had it done, am now going to be referred to a dermatologist at the hospital to check my others xx

Yayy! See, it was nothing to worry about! :drinker:
  • jadejo63
    Options
    You was right x thank you so much :) x
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! See? Better to hit the problem head on!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had a mole removed from my face and had to see my doctor for the results. It was all good. It was pre-melanoma, but he got it in time, but wanted to tell me in person. It is normal to see your doctor for the results of any tests or surgical procedure follow-ups. Take a deep breath...it can all be good results.