Better Cereal Ideas?

Options
What kind of cereal do you guys eat? I'm looking for one with less sugar. Thanks!

Replies

• DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Special K cereal is really good I love the Vanilla Almond one..
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I eat Fibre One Honey Clusters and Fibre One with raisins every day! I swear by it!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts is a great one. I think that Kix is low in sugar, too. Plain shredded wheat is also low in sugar.
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    chex, fiber one & i know the drs say the kashi cereals are really good for you and high in fiber but i have never tried them
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Honey Chex!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi. All of em. Yum.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Cheerios new cinnamon Burst - 110 calories for 1 cup
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I find buying cereal to be so frustrating!! Different grocers all carry different kinds, and at all different prices. Also, a lot of the granola and whole grain cereals out there have so much sugar and calories!! The only cereal that's consistently affordable and available is KASHI GO LEAN. I wouldn't call it "yummy", but its quite nutritious. I would add some fruit slices, but other than that, its makes a good breakfast.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Actually none of the Breakfast cereals are good for you.

Why not buy some steel cut oats and cook them in your crockpot overnight and you have a warm breakfast waiting on you. Then you can re-heat it the following mornings and you have breakfast ready to go.

You can add in honey, fresh fruit, organic maple syrup, etc to make it even more wholesome
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Absolute healthiest: Post Shredded Wheat 'n Bran. Also love (and also very nutritious) Kashi Go Lean. Those are my top two. Also believe that "Uncle Sam" is super nutritious as well (very high in fiber as well).

Just be careful and read the labels. Look for as few ingredients as possible, and look for a high fiber and protein content.

Grab the Shredded Wheat 'n Bran and compare that label (not just nutrition -- look at the ingredient lists) to everything else on the cereal aisle. It'll be an awakening.
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    I find buying cereal to be so frustrating!! Different grocers all carry different kinds, and at all different prices. Also, a lot of the granola and whole grain cereals out there have so much sugar and calories!! The only cereal that's consistently affordable and available is KASHI GO LEAN. I wouldn't call it "yummy", but its quite nutritious. I would add some fruit slices, but other than that, its makes a good breakfast.

And the Kashi Go Lean makes some kick butt "rice crispy" treats!
  • siduri
    siduri Posts: 5
    Options
    Mmmm, Kashi GoLean Crunch! Honey Alomnd. Yumm...
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch is my favorite cereal. It's really tasty and filling - low fat, lots of whole grain, fiber and protein.
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    Actually none of the Breakfast cereals are good for you.

Why not buy some steel cut oats and cook them in your crockpot overnight and you have a warm breakfast waiting on you.

Agree that steel cut oats are really good, but disagree that none of the cereals are good for you. Check out nutrition on Post Shredded Wheat 'n Bran and compare.

Per serving:
    Post Shredded Wheat 'n Bran v Steel Cut Oatmeal
    Fat: 1 g. v 2.5 g
    Cholesterol: 0 v 0
    Fiber: 8 grams (7 insoluble) v 4 (2 insoluble)
    Sugars <1 v 1
    Protein: 6 g v 5 g
    But the vitamins and minerals in the shredded wheat knock the oats out of the park.

And I'm a fan of the steel cut oats. I make a big pot EVERY week for easy morning heat ups.
    Just sharing this other option since not everyone likes oats and options are always fun!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

And the Kashi Go Lean makes some kick butt "rice crispy" treats!

Holy cow, I never thought of that! That would be awesome! lol
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Right now?!
    Porridge with a tbsp of honey :)
  • ChristinaT0507
    ChristinaT0507 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

i agree, that one seems to be the most filling and best fo ryou, but yes, not yummy lol. i found that even adding cut up bananas make the less 'yummy' tasting cereals taste better.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    Puffed rice/ and or puffed millet... Havent tried the millet yet but just bought it.. Its suppose to be super healthy and is only 60 calories/cup :)
  • jhines6927
    jhines6927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    plain cheerios is what I use
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I only eat Kashi cereals. Very yummy high in protein and fiber makes you feel full longer.