Post-Breakup Motivation

Options
So... the boyfriend dumped me over the weekend. Firstly, I wasn't losing the weight for him, I've been on the 'get healthier and slimmer' kick before we even met. Buuuut... He did work out with me and keep me motivated. And ate way better than I did so I was eating healthier by proxy. Plus, I'm just generally bummed and want to stuff up the hole left behind with food.

Help? Anyone have advice for not eating everything in sight out of boredom/sadness? :ohwell:

Replies

• Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Exercise more. It'll curb your appetite, release feel-good hormones, and make you WANT to eat healthy.
    Try to get friends to go with you to provide support and company!

Also, experiment with cooking new foods.
  • Sore2dayStrong2morrow
    Sore2dayStrong2morrow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Breakups are never fun, but it's a natural part of life. Here are some keys to helping yourself stay out of trouble and feel better
    1. Exercise regularly: exercising will increase the endorphins in your brain, releasing serotonin, and help you feel more positive and calm
    2. Eat healthy: will do the same thing as above
    3. Reflect on the good times, accept the bad: In order to stay positive, it is essential to remember the good times with that person. At the same time, you should reflect on your breakup and see if this is a rift or drift situation (i.e. can you guys remain friends, or is this a definite end)
    4. DON'T TORTURE YOURSELF! You know what I mean by that. Don't go looking for yourself to get upset--maybe deleting him off of social media, his texts, emails, etc. will help you forget and move on.
    5. You have to move on: It is okay for things to end, that is the only way new things can begin. It is NOT a bad thing by any means. However, without consciously moving on, you will be left hanging and wanting more. Let this person go, and bring new positive people in.

This is a tough times, but tough times call for strong minds. You know what to do, now go and do it! You'll thank yourself later, I promise :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Take your emotions to the gym and work out with all you've got! <3
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day and stick to it. I've had a lot of days lately that normally would've sent me running for food, but I've been so focused on my nutrition and my workouts, that food isn't even my first thought anymore. This post was a huge help for me in making that change. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity Kickboxing is a good way to get out some frustration. It feels good to throw a punch without getting arrested for assault. Also, I'm sorry to hear about the break-up, but remember that you're going to feel worse for shoving food in your face than you will for sticking with your plan.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I started working out again because of stress in my relationship. For months I hadn't gone and one day I felt so anxious and sad the only thing I could think of to take my mind off it was to go to the gym (then I came home and got really drunk off of old fashioneds). Now I'm up to 5-6 days a week. Just go! You'll feel better I swear.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So... the boyfriend dumped me over the weekend. Firstly, I wasn't losing the weight for him, I've been on the 'get healthier and slimmer' kick before we even met. Buuuut... He did work out with me and keep me motivated. And ate way better than I did so I was eating healthier by proxy. Plus, I'm just generally bummed and want to stuff up the hole left behind with food.

Help? Anyone have advice for not eating everything in sight out of boredom/sadness? :ohwell:

I was where you are a few months ago. You have two options: you can revert to form and eat everything in sight. You've done it before, it's easy. But you will hate yourself for it afterwards. You know that.

Alternatively - and this is the option I took - you can take that sadness, channel it into determination and eat well so you can become a hot woman that he will never ever have the opportunity to get back. Living well really is the best revenge. Binge eating is unfulfilling, getting fit is a ticket to happiness. When you look good, you can fake feeling good, and when you fake it for long enough, girl, you have your confidence back. You will be over him, and in such a good place.

Don't lose weight for him or for any other potential guy - but do lose weight so you can be the best version of yourself. This is your journey, maybe you're going it alone now and yeah, that is scary, but it's so rewarding.

I promise you, choosing to be really determined rather than comfort eating will be the best thing you've done in a long time. One day at a time and be kind to yourself. If you feel your willpower wane, talk to someone here (add me if you like) or pick up the phone to one of your girlfriends. This is the time to lean on people and not food. You'll be surprised at how many people will be there for you if you let them.
  • jammer2net
    jammer2net Posts: 42
    Options
    Just be the best person for YOU, not for a guy. It is hard when you break up....sadness, missing them and the general question....was it me? What did I do wrong? always goes thru your mind. Can't help it. Myself, when im depressed, my appetite goes completely away....but I know others dive into a carton of ice cream. Just look at t like this...be excited at the prospect of meeting someone new. All the fun and exciting times ahead! Be the best you that you can be and take care of yourself. :flowerforyou: