how long do I wait

Options
The time I work out is also Dinner time, and yes I am starving when I get home after a long day of work. So most the time not every time I eat dinner before I work out......... well I'm hungry and it is time to eat. Anyway then I am full. So here is my question how long should I wait before I work out?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Its personal choice man. Some people can work out immediately after eating. Personally I feel like I get to retaste my dinner if I do that if you know what I mean so I usually wait an hour. There is no one-way-fits-all answer to this though, its up to you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the workout...

If it's lifting usually within 30mins, walk 45mins, bike ride 1hour, HIIT...1hour

but it really is a personal thing.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Depends on the size of your meal. Here's what the mayo clinic recommends:

- Large meals. Eat these at least three to four hours before exercising.

- Small meals. Eat these two to three hours before exercising.

- Small snacks. Eat these an hour before exercising.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20045506
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I can do something like lift weights or walk pretty much immediately after eating. Anything that involves up and down movement, like running or a stair climber? No--I'd feel ill.

Is there any way that you could incorporate a snack into your afternoon or ride home from work? Might be an easier solution.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ditto the personal thing and depends on the workout. I can lift weights shortly after eating. If I am running, forget it. I have to wait depending on how much I ate. A full meal, I'm looking at 2 hours.

I work 12 hour shifts and prefer to eat supper at home but workout right away. I have found a few protein bars that help curb the hunger but aren't too hard on my stomach.

Basically, trial and error. Figure out what you can eat and when.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's whatever you find most comfortable....some people can digestive problems or feel sluggish, but if those aren't problems for you, then go for it!
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you're starving by the time you get home, maybe start eating a large enough afternoon snack? Something to keep you going until you get home, workout, and ready for dinner
  • Got_Discipline
    Got_Discipline Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! These are the common sense answers I was looking for.I will eat a bigger afternoon snack, lol actually this makes perfect sense because I eat a morning snack to hold me over to lunch but then nothing between lunch and dinner. Thanks for the help!
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Depending on how heavy the meal is, 30-90 min. Your body will tell you.