Best way to recover from a binge?

Options
Ok so its been a lousy day and for the first time since I started 3 weeks ago (might be more I don't count days), I have gone way over (1000) on my calories with maltesers.

So how does everyone recover from falling off the wagon for a day.

I don't need to investigate why, I know why I have had a bit of a chocolate binge. I just need to plan for a good day tomorrow.

I can't burn the calories with exercise my pain levels are grim this last few days.

Apologies that my diary is private, I like it that way so that I can be hard on myself everything I eat goes down in that food diary.

So is there a good way to start the next day after a sugar binge. Apart from getting on the scales and beating myself up that is :D

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    1. Forgive yourself, you're human

2. Move on

3. I wouldn't get on the scale for a few days after. I'd go back to what I assume is a sustainable deficit (if it is overly aggressive perhaps you should address it as part of why you felt the urge to binge)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    move on...

a big part of the binge mentality is the idea that you need to do something extra special to recover...so people starve themselves for a couple of days and then binge out all over again.
  • DomTre1990
    DomTre1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had this a few days ago where I'd eaten way more than I had been doing the rest of the time. There's no point beating yourself up about it because that isn't going to solve anything, it's just going to make you feel worse, which may cause you to do the same type of thing again. This probably won't be the last time you fall off the wagon, but as someone else has said, the only thing you can do is get back on it. Cutting back on sugar a bit more for a few days can't hurt, as long as you're still getting some in your diet.

Also, even though it feels like a huge thing having a bad eating day, it's never as big as you think it is. In the grand scheme of your weight loss, it might slightly set you back from a target for one week, but it's not going to make a massive difference. Just carry on as you've been doing the rest of the time :)
  • rachelrose2012
    Options
    Drink plenty of water to help it get flushed out and keep working out as normal. Your body will go back to the way it was in a few days. I recently went on a fast food kick and felt terrible the next day. However, I drank a lot more water than I normally do in a day and that helped quite a bit. Also, I worked out even though I felt like crap from all the bad food I ate. Don't let your workouts suffer just because your diet did. Finally, forgive yourself. It's hard to stick with such a healthy lifestyle and not take a cheat day every now and then. Good luck!!! :)
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way: IF you ate 1000 extra calories today, and your usual intake is, say, 1700 calories, you have taken in 8% more calories for the week than you should have. *Gasp* (yes, sarcasm intended) I say buckle down the rest of the week and put it behind you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The best way to recover from a binge is to log it and return to your regularly scheduled calorie deficit.

Any attempts to "make up" for a binge will usually backfire, or, at the least, be a major drag.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    By getting back on track. Learn from it, but then forget it and move on.
  • atorina21
    atorina21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    if you know you binge on chocolate maybe try sugar free chocolate pudding.
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The best way to recover from a binge is not lingering on it and try to stay positive. The following day, after a binge, you should get back on track and try other alternatives like sugar free chocolate pudding or dark chocolate. It's all you can do. You can't change the past.
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks trying to get back on track today, typically I blooming starving this morning, so I had better get drinking that water.