MFP and IIFYM confusement.

Options
Hello everyone,
I need some explanation on a confusing issue I've come across. I redid my macros via IIFYM and came up with the following:

CARBS PROTEIN FAT TOTAL CALORIES
Grams per day: 303.3 160 56 2357

this results in a 51, 28, 21 percent split for maintaince. Yeah, that doesn't seem right to me.

Via MFP in tyring to achieve a 40/40/20 split:

Grams per day: 235 235 52 2357

Both of these seem completely off to me. I mean, mathematically speaking they make sense, but at 160 lbs 235 grams of protein is insane!! Any input would be great, as I'm really confused what to follow at the moment.

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Set your macros based on your body mass, not a % of caloric intake. 1-1.2 g of protein/lb lean body mass, and 0.35 g of fat per lb total body mass. Fill the rest with carbs. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    neither...

not sure how you got your numbers for the 40/40/20 split...

I was always told you need 1gram of protien for each pound of LBM or 0.8 grams per lb of BW...so that means 121grams of protien which is what I eat...which ends up being about 25%...

Then fats are LBM x 0.35 x 9
    The rest carbs

and if you put your stats in MFP they line up with the numbers above...carbs @ 250g, Protien @ 125g and fats @ 56g...which are quite similar to mine...but I do 50/25/25
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I need some explanation on a confusing issue I've come across. I redid my macros via IIFYM and came up with the following:

this results in a 51, 28, 21 percent split for maintaince. Yeah, that doesn't seem right to me.

Why not? That sounds perfectly reasonable and -- to the extent that looking at macros by % of total calories is useful anyway -- pretty much within the generally advised ranges, which are 40-60% carbs (you're right in the middle of that, dude), 15-25% protein (fair enough, most of us on here like to eat more protein and think the advice given to people generally doesn't apply very well to people who are training hard); 15-30% fat (again, right in the middle).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

^ There's nothing about the above that seems unreasonable to me.
  • xxofnir1xx
    xxofnir1xx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was just making sure. To me, that seems like alot of carbs, but im pretty new to the whole macro idea. So, from what I am gathering, a 50/25/25 is a good macro split to maintain on?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was just making sure. To me, that seems like alot of carbs, but im pretty new to the whole macro idea. So, from what I am gathering, a 50/25/25 is a good macro split to maintain on?

That's my split and since I get more carbs now I find my lifts have gotten better and heavier easier if that makes sense...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if you dont want that many carbs do 40/30/30 instead?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The first ratio didn't seem unreasonable to me either.

If you don't want to be super strict with it you could follow also what another poster said about 0.35g per lb bodyweight for fat, and 1g per lb lean mass, (as a minimum target I'd say, not a limit) Then filling the rest of your calories with carbs. There's nothing the matter with higher carb intake, especially if you're exercising.

Although plenty of people get on with very different macro ratios. These are just guidelines based on common ones. If you're new to counting macros the best thing you can do in my opinion is play around with a few different ratios and go by which ones suit you and your goals best. There is no one size fits all, which is why you have the option to change it manually.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Via MFP in tyring to achieve a 40/40/20 split:

Grams per day: 235 235 52 2357

Sounds right to me...

40% of 2,357 calories = 942.8 calories
    942.8 calories / 4 cals per gram = 235.7g (so that would be your carbs and fat.)

20% of 2,357 calories = 471.40 calories
    471.40 calories / 9 cals per gram = 52.37g (so that would be your fat.)

The question is why you choose the 40/40/20 split and does it align with your goals?

Edit: I guess I should have read your OP a bit better! You know they make sense maths wise...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 50/30/20.

If that's you getting your protein and fat minimums then, lucky you - you get loads of tasty carbs. Wish I had your issues - I had to cut mine to 30% for my cut :(
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

The issue with calculating macronutrients strictly in terms of percentages is that as calories may go up or down you could then be adjusting macronutrients beyond or below where you would ideally like them.

50/25/25 may be a good macro split for YOU to maintain on but depending on another persons stats and activity level it may not be a good macro split for THEM to maintain on.

Regarding that being "a lot of carbs", if you find that you would prefer more fat and less carbs then you can simply hold calories the same (assuming they were correct to begin with) and reduce carbohydrate in exchange for fat until you find that your personal preference have been met.