Japanese Restaurant

Options
So, it's my birthday this Sunday, and I figured the 'safest' restaurant would be of a Japanese restaurant where I can easily sub my rice for veggies. Does anyone know how detrimental or not the sauces or dressings that are typically served there? Partically the 'yum yum' sauce and the ginger dressing they typically have available for the salad. I realize I can have a cheat meal now and then, but I refuse to be ignorant about this. Your help is greatly appreciated. and no, I'm not cooking :-)

Replies

• MaitaAtienzaDiaz
    MaitaAtienzaDiaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Mindy, just want to say happy birthday in advance! In general, Japanese sauces tend to be very sweet and it will be hard to find a sauce without sugar. So it's not a good idea if you're avoiding sugar. However, Japanese sauces also tend to be *very* tasty so a little goes a long way. I know I never go over a tablespoon of sauce in a Japanese restaurant (the way I can go overboard with ketchup). So, I say go for it. I'm sure a little won't hurt, and besides, it's your birthday!
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    "Yum Yum" sauce is shrimp sauce, which has a mayo base. Very tasty, but beware if you're really worried. Enjoy your birthday and have a cheat meal. If you really want to not have to worry, bank some calories over the week so your weekly net is low and the meal doesn't affect your weekly goal so badly. Just remember not to weigh in the next day, the salt will kill you >.<
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday...One single day. A very special one at that...yolo!

...all the sushi. ..
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That was my guess. And, no, I will not weigh in the next morning, tho it is my typical day. I may just do it that day or wait til
    Tuesday..lol.
    I do want some sushi...one or two pieces will suffice me...we'll see :-) I'm good on calories since I've gone under most days.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday...One single day. A very special one at that...yolo!

...all the sushi. ..

THIS!

Japanese without rice is not Japanese :laugh:

Chicken curry is my favourite with HEAPS of shichi-mi.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Weigh the morning before your Japanese meal, that will give you the most accurate result. That much salt can affect you for more than one day. Enjoy your meal and know that I, at least, am jealous, lol.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It is my birthday on Sunday also! Happy birthday fellow Leo! Don't fret it and enjoy the day! I won't go overboard on calories but I won't skimp either. I will probably do Japanese also!
  • Lindzpnc
    Lindzpnc Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    heck NOOOO!!! I am going to enjoy my bday weekend. I dont believe in cheat meals/days but my bday is this coming monday and I plan NOT to worry about calories and what i eat for TWO days maybe three... then i will go back on the wagon and i know i will because of the gain. Ive worked so hard i dont want to measure ANYTHIING!!!!!!!!! ok maybe i will but im def going to enjoy this!
  • msmindyf
    Options
    It is my birthday on Sunday also! Happy birthday fellow Leo! Don't fret it and enjoy the day! I won't go overboard on calories but I won't skimp either. I will probably do Japanese also!

Happy Birthday to you, too..we will rock this birthday with grace, even if we fall a little, we will dust off our kicks and hop back on with ease :-)
  • msmindyf
    Options
    Weigh the morning before your Japanese meal, that will give you the most accurate result. That much salt can affect you for more than one day. Enjoy your meal and know that I, at least, am jealous, lol.

I can imagine! I will do just that. It's a plus that I get to eat for free :-)
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    the last thing I'm worried about on my birthday is calories. I'm not going to eat enough to gain that much weight and from Japanese food you'll gain some water weight just from all the salt but ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY! Relax and eat everything you want.
    oh and rice isn't bad for you. I've lost a lot of weight eating rice.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I am celebrating my b-day on Monday with fondue, cheese and chocolate and fish - and girly drinks with umbrellas - calories are headed out the window!!! (my birth- date is not until the 8th - but this was the day the gal pals could do it)