Dumbbells or Barbells?

Options
jtotheno
jtotheno Posts: 123 Member
So I'm fairly new to weights, but I know it's something I love already. Specifically women, I'm interested to know what you prefer? I'm so far (for about 6 weeks now) just using the bar on the bench (in our basement), but I do feel ready to move to heavier weights. I also feel pretty limited by what can be done with just the bench at home. I love squats the most, and I know I wont be able to do them with heavier weights at home, as don't have the proper type of bench.. nor the room for anything bigger.

SO- It's between getting a gym membership, or buying a good set of dumbbells. I'm on a military base, so a gym is easily accessible, but I am leaning towards a few weeks with a PT and then dumbbells at home. (I think I'd be far more inclined to do the workouts this way!)

Has anyone done the majority of their weight training with dumbbells and would love to know your fail/success!

(Totally a newb here.. hence why I'd like to have a PT for the beginning, and why maybe some of what I've posted doesn't make total sense :P )

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I prefer barbells, but just because that's what I like.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym for free, then use it advantageously. Use barbells and dumbells for different exercises for variety.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think you should use the strategy that is most likely to result in you sticking with a work out program. For example: if you are less likely to go to the gym than to work out at home, you should choose the Dumbbell set.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells for everything right now... including things people typically use a bar for... squats and dead lifts. I'm not sure why I still use them for the squats... probably because I don't really know how to use the squat rack. But I use them for the dead lifts because I can't yet lift enough weight to get the bar high enough for the range of motion my joints have and be able to maintain decent form. So, I do suitcase deadlifts with dumbbells.

Use whichever you need to use to stick with it.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you have room for a bench and barbell you might have room for a half rack with spotter arms. I have a low ceiling and not a ton of room but the half rack fits nicely. You can use it for squats, overhead press and as a spotter for your bench press.

Short version (no spotter arms shown)
    squat-rack_3.jpg

Tall version to show spotter arms
    squat-rack-with-pullup-bar_1.jpg
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I do SL 5x5 so I'm all for barbells but I also do some rear delt flies and one arm db presses :)
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm unmotivated to drive to a gym. I use at home dumbbells only. I'm following the New Rules Of Lifting For Women book and there are dumbbell modifications for virtually every move. Use whatever you will stick with.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym for free, then use it advantageously. Use barbells and dumbells for different exercises for variety.
    Seconded. In general, I use barbells where possible out of habit. When I first started lifting, someone likened barbell lifting to lifting with training wheels on a bike. Once you master the form with barbells, you are ready to take the training wheels off. This is because dumbells will take more work to stabilize, when you should be focusing on learning correct form and not wobbling around awkwardly.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I agree! Use both, they both have their advantages.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    ^this.

barbells or dumbbells will work fine for most things. the problem with you buying a set of DBs to use at home is that you're going to need a LOT of DBs as you'll get strong quickly in the beginning. the other choice is to buy a good set of adjustable DBs but those are costly as well. just go to the gym on base
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squatbells and dumblifts.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I use dumbells for almost everything under 45 lbs. With the exception of deadlifts in which I use a lighter bar. Most things I'm already above 45 lbs, but a lot of my arm exercises I still use dumbells with (ie curls).
  • jasonctyler
    Options
    Usually warm up with dumbbells, and then progress to heavier weights on barbells. I like the increased range of motion you can get with dumbbells though, can really target certain areas. They both have their merits, and uses. Couldn't really choose between the two, personally. I like to use both.
  • RodneyAshley
    Options
    SO- It's between getting a gym membership, or buying a good set of dumbbells. I'm on a military base, so a gym is easily accessible, but I am leaning towards a few weeks with a PT and then dumbbells at home. (I think I'd be far more inclined to do the workouts this way!)

I prefer getting a good set of dumbbells as it is more convenient than gym memberships, making it a lot easier for me to stick to my fitness plan. Additionally, I don’t have to spend a lot of time waiting for the gym equipment to be available. In fact, I just bought my "Rubber Encased Dumbbell" from http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/. It is one of my best investment.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yup. Both. The barbell is a little more stable for lower body work when balance comes into play and the dumb bells while doing upper body work allow for fuller range of motion for many exercises while also challenging you to engage your muscles evenly.

They're tools, it's useful to have more than one in the tool box.
  • 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For newbies I tend to recommend dumbbells for two reasons:

1. If you get into trouble you can drop them without risking crushing your neck (say when benching).
    2. You'll likely have one arm stronger than another- using a bar can see you compensating with your stronger arm.

This isn't necessarily true for everyone and feel free to use both, mix it up- go crazy. ;)

The most important thing is that you lift with good form.
  • jtotheno
    jtotheno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much everyone! :) Great advice.. I do plan on getting a good adjustable set of DB tonight, and I do plan on getting to the gym when I can. I have 2 little ones, so having something at home I know I will use definitely helps!
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use dumb bells almost exclusively though I have both. Better core workout since it forces you to stabilize, as others have mentioned.

I also work out in my home (generally 3-4 x a week) aside from one day a week with my trainer in his gym.

If you live in a metropolitan area, check CL, there's always somebody selling cheap lifting stuff on there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use both...it depends on what kind of training cycle I'm in as to how much of either I use. If I'm in a strength cycle, it's primarily barbells as it is impossible to support that kind of weight with dumbbells...if I'm in a muscular endurance/stamina cycle I lift lighter weights for more reps and use more dumbbells and body weight. In a hypertrophy cycle I use both about evenly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    ^this.

barbells or dumbbells will work fine for most things. the problem with you buying a set of DBs to use at home is that you're going to need a LOT of DBs as you'll get strong quickly in the beginning. the other choice is to buy a good set of adjustable DBs but those are costly as well. just go to the gym on base

truth truth

they are just tools in the tool box- both are great for different things- you just need to know which goal you have for your exercises. I use both depending on my programming. I really like both- If I without question had to pick on- I would pick a barbell- because well- squats/deadlifts- but I mean-come on- supine pull overs? chest flies? arnolds?

gah- love them- they make me happy.

Both- couldn't ever just have ONE.