Eating well vs eating less, hard to get enough calories?

Options
lysser
lysser Posts: 15 Member
I'm on about round 1 million of trying to log my food, but this time of trying to focus on eating healthy instead of just limiting my portions of food I already eat. I wouldn't say I'm restricting everything I eat, but more trying to eat healthier foods so that I'm not as hungry for the foods I like. For the past couple days, I've been choosing apples over potato chips and veggies over a second helping of mashed potatoes and things like that.. But it's been difficult to get myself to net 1200 calories without forcing myself to eat. Today, the only reason I netted over 1200 was because I indulged in a slice of pizza (no regrets lol). If I'm feeling full, and eating lots throughout the day, does it matter that I'm eating far below I should be? I'm at a very large deficit from my BMR if I keep this up..

It doesn't help that I'm on a pretty low budget and have to stick to the cheaper fruits and vegetables, not to mention meals. I know I need to start eating breakfast AND lunch.. But my day sort of shifts because I'm a night owl. I don't want eating healthy to be this frustrating!

Any inexpensive but nutritious snack ideas?

Edit: I apologize for being vague, I would like snacks to be focused more in natural, low glycemic index foods. Thanks for any and all advice! :)

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    mashed potatoe flakes, especially when made with non-fat milk, would last longer than the apple. it's one of my staples. i eat a single serving - 1/3 cup made with 2/3 cup milk and 2 tablespoons of non-fat greek, yogurt 'cause i like it.

oatmeal made with non-fat milk has clean complex carbs, protein and fiber, and they're cheap, too. you can sweeten with stevia or a non-calorie sweetener of your choice.

pasta can be good - and cheap. the secret is to measure it dry and only make a single serving or 3/4 of a serving.

non-fat greek yogurt is packed with protein, low in calories. i eat a lot of it, and also make dip with it by mixing avocado and lemon and seasoning or paul newman light italian, pepper and dill - then i have it as a dip for .6 of an ounce of baked corn chips.

frozen shredded hash browns have 60 to 70 calories per serving. mist them with a hint of olive oil and bake. sometimes i actually use them in a scramble with red bell peppers and egg beaters plus a teaspoon of parmesan and some black pepper.

can you find the generic versions of egg beaters? price should be good, and 3 3-tablespoon servings is only 75 calories and packs a mean 15 grams of protein.

that reminds me, my diary is FULL of 1/2 servings and 3/4 servings. i eat amy's gluten free burritos (i'm allergic to wheat) in partial servings, single slices of bread (also wheat free).

it doesn't matter what time your breakfast is. i eat mine at 6:30 am weekdays, and somewhere between 11:30 am and 1 pm on weekends, 'cause i get up a lot later. then lunch is mid-afternoon or later, and so on.

personally at 1200 calories per day i eat only tiny portions of fruit as their sugars take up too much of my daily calories. i do eat a lot of broccoli and asparagus.

there's an awesome brownie recipe in the recipes section here. you can also make chocolate pudding with 1 cup non-fat milk, 2 tablespoons of corn starch, 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa and the calorie-free sweetener of your choice. i often add half a square of sees sugar free chocolate or a teaspoon of xylitol. yum!
  • lysser
    Options
    I like a lot of those ideas, but I have to make sure that I am eating as low GI and unrefined as possible. I'm also mostly having an issue with eating that much food. I'm used to small amounts of empty calories.. Now I'm having to eat much more to get the calories in. Never thought I'd say that!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Are there any other self imposed restrictions the community needs to know about before offering help?
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    Add in some healthier options that also have some calories to them. Examples: avocado, natural peanut or almond butter, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, nuts & seeds...

Even if you're eating lots of vegetables, it shouldn't be difficult to come up with 1200 cals! Good luck!
  • lysser
    Options
    Are there any other self imposed restrictions the community needs to know about before offering help?

I feel like this is a very rude comment; I was obviously not clear enough, but I hardly think that makes me any less worthy of advice from the community. Also, I am unsure of what you mean by "self imposed restrictions". I apologize for lack of clarity. I have doctor recommendation to eat a diet similar to a diabetic (low GI) as I am insulin resistant/diagnosed with PCOS.

That being said, a lot of tthings can be swapped out for low GI variations, so I will take suggestions from any diet anyways. I appreciate every idea. I really should get into eating nuts. I feel like for small portions they pack a lot of punch, nutrient-wise.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    For an inexpensive but nutritious snack, try avocados. Also, canned salmon is pretty cheap. If you mix it with olive oil and lemon to taste it's a nice healthy protein. Look for BPA-free cans if you can find them. Sometimes I eat the salmon salad in an avocado "boat." Olives are a nice snack, if you like savory things. A hard-boiled egg dipped in mustard is another snack you could consider.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I feel like this is a very rude comment; I was obviously not clear enough, but I hardly think that makes me any less worthy of advice from the community. Also, I am unsure of what you mean by "self imposed restrictions". I apologize for lack of clarity. I have doctor recommendation to eat a diet similar to a diabetic (low GI) as I am insulin resistant/diagnosed with PCOS.

That being said, a lot of tthings can be swapped out for low GI variations, so I will take suggestions from any diet anyways. I appreciate every idea. I really should get into eating nuts. I feel like for small portions they pack a lot of punch, nutrient-wise.

Somebody went through the time and effort of typing out a long reply full of foods only to have you THEN mention the need for low GI. You can think my question is rude. I find people failing to give complete parameters when asking for help to be extremely inconsiderate to those willing to give advice.

Your diary reveals a few things. One, you are inconsistent with your logging. Two, your caloric goal is 1800 according to your goals so 1200 is exceeding your planned deficit by 600 calories off the bat. Three, your sugar is 18% or more above goal every logged day in the past week except one.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

:noway:
    I didn't find it rude at all as I was reading - a simple question asking for more info before posting a reply is hardly rude. it's the internet - misunderstandings run rampant - give a little grace before deciding someone was intentionally rude.

As to eating healthy and reaching your calorie goal - I eat around 2000 cals a day with no problem at all. As others have mentioned, avocados, nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, use olive and coconut oils in cooking and dressings - they add up quickly in small portions and you'll reach your goal with no problems.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Your comments about the wonderful, helpful response on eating suggestions being rude is out of place. It makes a significant difference what suggestions you can get if we know any limits you have and whether they are ones you personally want to achieve or if they have been medically imposed.
  • lysser
    Options
    I understand my mistake.. when typing out the post, I didn't think it well enough out, and I don't mind it being pointed out.. There are just nicer ways of saying it. I didn't intentionally leave information out. I didn't mean to inconvenience anyone, and I am thankful for the suggestions even if I realized afterward that I should have been more specific.

I am trying to learn how to properly eat, I didn't think I had to be perfect to ask people for advice. I would have appreciated a "next time, please be more specific" rather than an insinuation that I don't deserve advice because I was somehow (unintentionally) inconsiderate. If the MFP community is that picky, maybe I shouldn't bother trying to ask for help.. Even though I clearly need it, based on my inconsistent logging and not being perfect with food choices yet.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has suggested that using oils/fats to cook your foods will add calories without bulk or adding olive oil as a salad dressing. Also nuts and seeds are always good options (can be expensive but are nutrient dense so a pack will last a while if portioned properly). Dark chocolate is always good and has a lower sugar content than milk choc. Full fat dairy is higher in calories and usually lower in carbs than skim versions
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Things that have worked for me when I have a little time to keep my calories filled with the most nutritious options: Beans and brown rice of all variations (black or pinto hot, or cold like garbanzos and navy as salads with celery, radishes, whatever you like, all chopped up, seasoned and chilled...fits well in containers). Hummus (homemade is better obviously) and cucumber slices with vinegar, peanut butter (or almond butter) and greek yogurt mixed together to dip apple slices in, tofu friend in olive oil in ww pitas with veganaise, poached eggs and toast with olive oil and spinach. On the go, Nuts!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I understand my mistake.. when typing out the post, I didn't think it well enough out, and I don't mind it being pointed out.. There are just nicer ways of saying it. I didn't intentionally leave information out. I didn't mean to inconvenience anyone, and I am thankful for the suggestions even if I realized afterward that I should have been more specific.

I am trying to learn how to properly eat, I didn't think I had to be perfect to ask people for advice. I would have appreciated a "next time, please be more specific" rather than an insinuation that I don't deserve advice because I was somehow (unintentionally) inconsiderate. If the MFP community is that picky, maybe I shouldn't bother trying to ask for help.. Even though I clearly need it, based on my inconsistent logging and not being perfect with food choices yet.
    You don't have to be perfect to ask for advice, and neither do those giving the advice. :smile: There's a wealth of great information here at MFP, and a lot of great people who give it. If someone rubs you the wrong way, ignore it, but focus on the info given and move on. I've learned a TON of great stuff from people here (and in school, work, life) who aren't always all warm and fuzzy, ready to spoon-feed me what I want to know or hear. Doesn't mean it's not good info and a great place to learn some great stuff on how to lose the fat, keep the muscle, and get the body you're after.

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

There are many individuals on here who feel the need to be rude/snarky in their replies. Just ignore them. You can do that by clicking the downward triangle next to the their username.

I am insulin resistant myself and also follow a low carb diet.

Things to try:
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters (peanut, cashew, macadamia, almond, etc.)
    Avocados
    Sweet potatoes (SMALL)
    Non-starchy veggies (spaghetti squash, spinach, kale, broccoli, cucumbers, peppers, etc.)
    Low GI fruits (berries)
    Lentils
    White beans
    Black beans
    Kidney beans
    Chick peas
    Cheese sticks
    Laughing Cow spreadable cheese
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
  • lysser
    Options
    So many great ideas, thanks so much! :) I love the idea adding dressings.. I keep forgetting that salad doesn't always have to be lettuce based.. And dark chocolate does sound pretty wonderful! I just bought brown rice for the first time.. I am guilty of being super picky, I don't venture out very much to find new foods. I am really trying to expand into nuts and beans (slowly..) and whole grains. I also didn't know almond butter was a thing.. I really want to try that!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    it's been difficult to get myself to net 1200 calories without forcing myself to eat
    Ignore net calories! (That's what my doctor told me to do.)
    Just pay attention to overall calories - if your goal weight is 150, you should be eating no more than 1500 cal per day TOTAL.
    Since you have your goal calories set at 1800, I'm guessing your goal weight is 180.
    Once in a while if you're hungry at the end of the day, eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of your exercise calories for that day, but don't make a habit of it.
    Any inexpensive but nutritious snack ideas?
    I would like snacks to be focused more in natural, low glycemic index foods.
    Everything Taste of Home does is delicious, and most of their recipes have nutrition info.
    Here's their "healthy recipe" section: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/healthy-eating
    avocado, natural peanut or almond butter, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, nuts & seeds
    All those are good.
    an apple with a couple T of peanut or almond butter
    cheese, as long as you don't go overboard.
    fruit
    yogurt, esp. Greek nonfat
    pudding - instant nonfat sugar-free made with skim milk
    baked or nuked sweet potato with cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar
    raw veggies dipped in hummus or ranch salad dressing

Not a snack, but a meal: beans with brown rice; sauerkraut with sausage; vegetable bean soup; a tortilla with chopped boiled chicken breast, a sprinkle of cheese, avocado, and salsa

And I make a summer salad that's a whole meal:
    couscous: 1-2 cups dry; put it in a large bowl & pour that same amount of boiling water on it. Let it sit unstirred while you chop & add everything else to the bowl. (Could substitute another whole grain such as amaranth or quinoa; cook as usual, then put in bowl.)
    1-2 T olive oil
    1/4 c lemon juice
    1 t garlic powder, or to taste
    1/2 t salt, or to taste
    1 can chickpeas, drained
    1 bunch parsley, chopped
    1 cucumber, chopped
    2 tomatos, chopped
    4-6 oz black olives, sliced or at least cut in half (kalamata olives are even better!)
    1 small onion, minced fine
    4-6 oz feta cheese, diced or crumbled
    optional: 1 cup chopped red bell pepper, 1 cup chopped zucchini or summer squash (can sub for the cuke)
    Mix it all up. It's best cold, so put it in the fridge for a couple hours at least.
    I know I need to start eating breakfast AND lunch
    Breakfast is the most important - have about half your calories for breakfast.

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    oats are still a winner, and barley, which i love, is also very low GI. from every source i've read, brown rice is higher GI than white rice, although that has never made sense to me.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Add more fat to your diet (every kind except trans-fats) and you'll be less hungry and lose faster than on a low fat diet. It goes against what most people believe, but it works. When I started eating 50% of my calories from fat while still running the same calorie deficit as I had for a few months on a low fat diet, the weight dropped at a much faster rate. General health and energy also increased and blood work has consistently been great. Dietary cholesterol and fat don't have any negative effects on blood numbers if you stay active and burn all your calories.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Dry beans are super cheap. Be sure to soak them overnight and get rid of that water, rinse thoroughly, get rid of that water, and then cook thoroughly Because otherwise beans have some natural defenses against being eaten by us. Especially kidney beans.

I just got bananas on sale and nice and cheap. Might have gone a bit overboard, actually. So look for sales on fruits and vegetables. Seasonal is often on sale. If there is a farmer's market around you, check there, too.

Potatoes are often cheap. Buy, wash, and bake. I know they're not technically glycemic index approved, but they're an anomaly in two studies I've read about because they fill many people up very well. Sweet potatoes might be cheap enough for you as well.

Rice if it doesn't make you overly hungry is generally cheap.
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love the food recommendations on here, thanks everyone!