Sports Bras

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
Are sports bras intended to be worn as underwear or as an outerwear top on their own? I can't tell from the ads because they are ads, you know....but the bright colors and patterns make me think they are intended as outerwear.

They're no more revealing than a bikini, but I'd like to know what the etiquette is.

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I operate with them as underwear, mostly because I don't feel comfortable revealing my torso much yet and most gyms will have rules against bare midriff anyway.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I wear mine under my clothes. More than one at a time, actually, because I am in need of extra support.

However, there are plenty of ladies who like to wear them as a top. :^)
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bra for me = undergarment
  • hoffmanchristina
    hoffmanchristina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wear mine under my clothes. Except when it's over 80 degrees and I'm cutting the grass and sometimes as a pajama top. ???? I don't feel comfortable with how I look. ???? If I get down to where I look good in a bikini, then I'll be running around without a shirt. ????
  • LAT1963
    Options
    I'm not at a point where I would be comfortable with a bare midriff at a gym, but I wanted to know because it has been hot and I'm trying to avoid running the air conditioner because it's wicked expensive. So I'm wondering if I can run out to the mailbox in my shorts and a jog-bra or if I have to put a top on first.

But, if I had a yoga-teacher body (one can dream), I'm wondering in what contexts (if ever) wearing a sports bra as a top is acceptable.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I currently wear it as undergarment. That being said, when I was at my fittest... many moons ago, I did not hesitate to wear it as a top on its own while running outside if it was a super hot and humid day. I would always keep a shirt on in the gym though... I like the extra layer between me and whatever equipment I'm using.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Undergarment. Personally, I think it's inappropriate unless you're competing or doing some super endurance sport.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    I always wear my bra first then sports bra then top.

Are you all wearing only sports bra as an underwear???
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I'm wondering if I can run out to the mailbox in my shorts and a jog-bra or if I have to put a top on first.

you can do whatever you like in that situation... do it naked if you like!
  • BeatriceBane
    Options
    Sports bra as an undergarment. A good quality sports bra shouldn't mean wearing 2 bras (although I know some ladies who would say otherwise due to size etc)

I'm 'well endowed' and highly recommend Lululemon for sports bras. Especially the TaTa Tamer. Pricey but definitely worth it. 1.5 years of hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, swimming and these babies lasted the entire time - longer actually.

A good investment to ensure proper support! Plus they look great for when a shirt does come off for any reason.... like that one time I fell off a low ropes course and my shirt got ripped off...
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like the sports bra's which are meant to be outer wear so are more tops with built in bra than just a bra.

That said I only wear them as a top at home, but when I'm out I don't worry too much if it shows a bit in places (where as I would if it was a normal bra) because it just looks like I have a layered top on.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    Sports bra as an undergarment. A good quality sports bra shouldn't mean wearing 2 bras (although I know some ladies who would say otherwise due to size etc)

I'm 'well endowed' and highly recommend Lululemon for sports bras. Especially the TaTa Tamer. Pricey but definitely worth it. 1.5 years of hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding, swimming and these babies lasted the entire time - longer actually.

A good investment to ensure proper support! Plus they look great for when a shirt does come off for any reason.... like that one time I fell off a low ropes course and my shirt got ripped off...

I'm still too fat to buy from Lululemon, and have a philosophical objection to spending money at a store whose CEO publicly stated that only women with a thigh gap are worthy of his clothes.

At the moment I'm a 38DD bra size but I'm hoping as I lose weight that my proportions will change so that I can fit a band/cup combo with a single D or smaller, just because it is easier to find bras in C or D than in DD.
  • Datbae
    Datbae Posts: 1
    Options
    It's fine to wear it alone. I wear it alone all the time. It's perfectly normal.
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    It's fine to wear it alone if you are comfortable. Like you said, it covers more than a bikini does and they are perfectly ok to wear.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out at home, I use it as an undergarment till I get too hot then I throw off the shirt. If I'm out jogging (which is usually early morning), I always wear a wicking shirt. Between not being comfortable baring my midriff yet and running in the very small town I grew up in, around folks who've known me since I was a kid, I stick to keeping my sports bra concealed.

My dad has also been on town council for 25 years and he shouldn't have to hear comments from people that his daughter is running around town in her underwear (not that I agree with that assessment, but I choose to pick my battles).

I have a couple really cute VS sports bras and there's a UA one I want. I have no problem if other women chose to wear them alone, some are cute enough to be worn that way. Did y'all know white tees used to be regarded as undergarments??? Sports bra are fitness clothing...
  • susieqtx123
    susieqtx123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I often see women wear their sports bra as a top so to speak when in Bikram Yoga that I do. Me, I always wear the bra under the clothes. Even in Bikram Yoga! I don't feel confident wearing the sports bra as a top. One thing I don't see though, is women wearing a sports bra, or any bra at all to do fitness/at the gym. Even if you are less endowed in that area I think you really should wear a bra (ideally a sports one) for any fitness. Otherwise, by the time you get to a certain age, your breasts may start to droop and hurt when doing fitness without any support! I once wore an ordinary bra and not a sports bra doing fitness and it was really uncomfortable, so I always wear it, but strictly under the top. But I think if you're comfortable wearing it as a top, the go for it!
  • kristypike
    Options
    Do whatever you feel is most comfortable. Most important- don't worry what other people think about you!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I only wear sports bras under other clothing (usually a racerback stretchy tank from Old Navy). The straps poke out and you can see a hint of the color.

I raaaaarely see people wearing just a sports bra without a shirt in public. Running to your mailbox to get the mail should be okay, so long as it's a well fitted sports bra. I wouldn't, personally, as my neighbors live very close by and are nosey.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This thread is worthless without pics...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    They are underwear.