Gluten & Dairy Free, Will I lose Weight??

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    WHy arte you doing gluten and dairy free? Do you have any intolerance or allergies to either?

If not, then you are suffering unnecessarily. Gluten and dairy are not responsible for weight gain. Too many calories is. Eat at a deficit, of anything you like, and you will lose weight.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Well I was diagnosed with celiac disease 8 years ago before it was popular. I was always thin when eating gluten, but as soon as I went off it I piled on quite a bit of weight. The only gluten free substitute I added was gluten free bread so I don't think I was consuming more calories, but who knows. I know that my gut healed so I started absorbing nutrients again and stopped going to the washroom a billion times a day, but not sure if this would cause weight gain.
  • ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with you whole heartedly.
  • ponyvillalobos
    Options
    Hi there. I am going gluten free because foods with gluten (or wheat flour for that matter) raise blood sugar higher than nearly all other foods. Yes, that’s true for even whole grains. More than table sugar, more than a Snickers bar. Organic, multigrain, sprouted–it makes no difference. Because of this it causes a crash thereafter and the sense of being hungry (or STARVING). When I cut gluten this cycle starvation stops and as a result I eat less. The first few days were kind of hard because of the addictive quality of it but now I don't miss it at all. I eat, rice, corn torts...
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have to be gluten, corn and potato free due to food intolerances and my dairy is limited to the certain things that I can tolerate. I actually gained weight went I first went gluten free because I was trying out all the gluten free recipes so my family wouldn't feel deprived. For some people you can see a loss if your body doesn't tolerate it, the planets are all aligned and unicorns are frolicking in your front yard but I didn't have any of those things even though I can't eat it. Just be aware that cutting gluten may not have the impact you're hoping for if you're replacing gluten filled items with a gluten free version. If you're just eating a bunch of vegetables then yeah, you'll probably see a drop. :)
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    If you don't have an allergy to gluten or dairy, you can eat both those things while losing weight. Weight loss needs a caloric deficit. That's it. Not cutting out anything.

But hey if it floats your boat...
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    there is only ONE way to lose weight cals in < cals out. period.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    no, they don't. it depends on the individual food, but a no-sugar added sour dough bread won't come anywhere near the GI of a snickers bar. perhaps it's because you're eating too large of servings. i've taken my blood sugar after virtually every food i ate, and rye bread (which is a gluten grain) didn't raise my blood sugar half as far as the exact same amount of other foods. in fact, calorie for calorie rice raised my blood sugar more. and fat free greek yogurt increases my blood sugar much less than most foods including the same amount of calories of corn tortillas.
    Hi there. I am going gluten free because foods with gluten (or wheat flour for that matter) raise blood sugar higher than nearly all other foods. Yes, that’s true for even whole grains. More than table sugar, more than a Snickers bar. Organic, multigrain, sprouted–it makes no difference. Because of this it causes a crash thereafter and the sense of being hungry (or STARVING). When I cut gluten this cycle starvation stops and as a result I eat less. The first few days were kind of hard because of the addictive quality of it but now I don't miss it at all. I eat, rice, corn torts...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This isn't accurate, not even close, but best of luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This isn't accurate, not even close, but best of luck.
    One last comment: GLUTEN is a protein. It actually slightly SLOWS digestion.
    WHEAT is a carb.
    Enriched, bleached wheats and other non-whole grains do cause hunger and cravings in some. Sprouted grains and other intact grains should not.
    Snickers works the way it does because of the nuts. Put some nut butter on your sprouted grain and voila.
    Wheat Belly is an interesting book, but PLEASE read other sources. You're setting yourself up for failure and making things much more complicated than they need to be by considering William Davis's work as gospel.
    Are you planning on going entirely GRAIN FREE? That sounds miserable. Are you planning to eat gluten free flours? Prepare to gain weight.

ps: note that the book is called WHEAT belly, not Gluten belly. cheers
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Misinformation overload
    /abandon thread
  • ponyvillalobos
    Options
    Hey, thanks for your input.
    All I am doing is taking the bread and dairy out of my diet. As a result I am consuming less calories.

for example, If I have a salad for dinner with grilled chicken, avo, tomato and blue cheese crumbles and a wheat roll it totals a certain amount of calories.
    If I take that same meal and take the cheese and what roll away the caloric total will be less.
    I am not replacing the dairy and wheat with anything else. Make sense?

I am consuming about 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I should have stated this is my original post.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    if you don't have allergies to those things it's pointless to cut them out. Consider a food sensitivity test to help determine if you are. My gym lifetime actually does those now.

Otherwise you can literally eat anything you want and lose weight, so long as you eat at a calorie deficit. You can lose weight eating sweets and things like Twinkies if you eat at a calorie deficit. The opposite it true with vegetables, you could actually gain weight eating too much broccoli if you eat it at a calorie surplus. Now to be fair good luck eating enough broccoli to do that (Veggies are awesome) but you get my drift.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am consuming about 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I should have stated this is my original post.

That's what you should focus on, that's the key. It's good that you see that.

Make sure you are getting your recommended amounts of protein, fats and carbs per day. IIFYM is a good method for dieting and nutrition.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    14.-why-would-you.gif
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Anybody notice that if they cut out gluten and dairy they get a bit of water-weight drop? It's one of the things often suggested to do pre-comp to help make weight.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    All I am doing is taking the bread and dairy out of my diet. As a result I am consuming less calories.

for example, If I have a salad for dinner with grilled chicken, avo, tomato and blue cheese crumbles and a wheat roll it totals a certain amount of calories.
    If I take that same meal and take the cheese and what roll away the caloric total will be less.

That just sounds like calorie reduction, though - right? Like, you could achieve the same end by removing the chicken, or the avocado, etc. etc. It's just simply eating less. No need to demonize or restrict food groups unnecessarily.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In what universe are "blue cheese crumbles" not dairy????

I just don't get the gluten/dairy thing for people who don't have an actual medically-necessary reason to avoid them.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    no, they don't. it depends on the individual food, but a no-sugar added sour dough bread won't come anywhere near the GI of a snickers bar. perhaps it's because you're eating too large of servings. i've taken my blood sugar after virtually every food i ate, and rye bread (which is a gluten grain) didn't raise my blood sugar half as far as the exact same amount of other foods. in fact, calorie for calorie rice raised my blood sugar more. and fat free greek yogurt increases my blood sugar much less than most foods including the same amount of calories of corn tortillas.
    Rice is one of the most energy dense foods you can consume and your body quickly turns it to sugar. I don't see how the OP is gaining from their diet. The best way to keep your blood sugar levels low is to avoid high glycemic foods and to add some protein or fat to your meal to help slow down the digestion process. Avoiding gluten won't do a thing for you unless you have coeliac disease.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    One last comment: GLUTEN is a protein. It actually slightly SLOWS digestion.
    WHEAT is a carb.

Hah, yes. I eat quite a bit of gluten (in seitan) and it is a great lean protein source.

Now if cutting gluten (or gluten-containing grains, rather) and dairy works for the OP, then great for her, they're not required parts of the human diet or anything. But it has nothing to do with blood sugar.