i need to eat more...

Options
Hi people...
I am currently fitness training for my army application. I am doing strength, and cardio (no lecture, i need both)... I don't log my exercise, but I wear a fitbit that I have found is fairly accurate for walking and that!
My problem is, I eat a fair bit. I am focussing on clean (as I can) eating. I have taken a liking to almond milk and I mix that with my protein shake. I have taken a liking to Chia seeds, and have found they make me feel satisfied easily. But at the end of the day my calorie deficit sits around 300-400 calories... remembering I'm not logging any training that I do. I know I could eat some cake or biscuits, but I'm so focused on my goal of getting into the army that I don't want to jeopardise it by tempting myself with foods I may not be able to resist...
Can anyone suggest some clean, healthy foods I could add to my diet to help bump my calories up?
Thanks

Replies

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein in order to rebuild what you're breaking down and aid in muscle growth. I'd suggest some meat and veg, or any good source and somewhat high source of protein and some complex veg with fiber.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    all my macros are pretty good... i dunno, just worried i'm going to fall over with my diet and screw everything up... i have my heart set on the army goal
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use IIFYM and sometimes after dinner I have a big deficit left I have a protein shake, cheese, ham or stick a spoon of PB in my protein shake and find out these give me that extra boost if there's too much of a shortfall.

Diary open if you want to have a look. I sometimes don't mind having a small shortfall but if, like you, it's 3-400 I usually try to grab something higher protein.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You could think about replacing some of your low calorie foods with higher calorie ones (full fat milk instead of almond milk for instance)

Other high calorie foods you can add in: dried fruit, nuts, nut butters, avocado

Maybe some icecream in your shakes?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Maybe incorporate more calorie dense foods as previous poster suggested. Apple slices with peanut butter; cheese; nuts; avocadoes are pretty versatile as well.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i prefer almond milk with protein shake, it tastes better! and it sits better in my stomach... Will try to add more nuts and stuff and maybe ice-cream, but I dont think I could control myself
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    nuts and nut butter! like a previous poster said, apples with peanut butter. see if you can add nut butter to some of your current meals/snacks. avocado adds good fats as well. i like the idea of ice cream because that way you're still allowing yourself treats and very yummy things AND staying within your goals. the more you restrict and say 'i cannot have (something) at all', the more likely you are to binge imho.