Superbowl 2011

Options
We are HUGE Superbowl socialites and we always have a huge party at our house, this year family is even flying in for the occasion, 2 things I (((LOVE))) my boyfriends hot wings and my vodka, I can do good on other food but these are 2 things I do not want to give up!
so advice ? Should I make sure I get in a great work out that day and earn the calories ?

And if you have recipes that you want to share I would love to have them ,
FYI: the wings are boiled , then deep fried , then dipped in franks sauce , Not sure yet the calorie count on that I will have to look it up, but I am sure between that and the fat it isnt good =(
Vodka is about 64 calories per shot, I am sure I can mix it with tonic and fresh lemon ?

Thanks !!
Becci

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    When I make my buffalo wings, instead of frying them, I bake them in the oven. I usually put the wings in for about an hour at 400 degrees. This makes the skin REALLY crispy without adding the fat from the fryer. For you, try using some chicken breast tenderloins, baked, instead of using the regular wings. I use sweet baby ray's wing sauce on mine though...lol

I think doing a killer workout that morning to earn the calories is a great idea!
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I NEED RECIPES TOO ..... I LOVE FOOTBALL and Im trying to figure out how I am going to make it through this Saturday and the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME ....

LETS GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I wouldn't even worry about it. It's one day. Just don't be to upset if you see the scale move up a little the next day. :drinker:
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    All I know is I'm getting in an early morning MONSTER workout...
  • BecciL
    BecciL Posts: 49
    Options
    When I make my buffalo wings, instead of frying them, I bake them in the oven. I usually put the wings in for about an hour at 400 degrees. This makes the skin REALLY crispy without adding the fat from the fryer. For you, try using some chicken breast tenderloins, baked, instead of using the regular wings. I use sweet baby ray's wing sauce on mine though...lol

I think doing a killer workout that morning to earn the calories is a great idea!

I don't know about the baking idea, I am a little bit OCD and the thought of not having my wings crispy , and wings is quite depressing ! (LOL) Franks Sauce all the way !! haha

@tuduis ... I really think I might have to do an early morning Crazy workout myself , cuz I't not giving up a good party ! LOL
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan on a work out and try to have healthy stuff too like vegetables, fruit tray low fat cheeses with whole grain crackers, homemade chili with low fat meat and lots of beans. If you fill up on good stuff you can handle a few of the fatty wings and the alcohol.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing, baked buffalo wings are really yummy...also you can make some really good dips with low fat sour cream, and low fat cream cheese (like onion dip, garlic dip, or even crab and clam dip) Then you can buy Melba toast to dip with, or some kind of baked low cal cracker... Also don't forget salsa is great too!
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I wouldn't even worry about it. It's one day. Just don't be to upset if you see the scale move up a little the next day. :drinker:
    I would not be happy about my scale moving up....I think a good workout in the AM can combat the extra calories though :wink:
  • BecciL
    Options
    I would not be happy about my scale moving up....I think a good workout in the AM can combat the extra calories though :wink:

I would not be happy about it moving up either =( I would be ok if it stays the same just not move up !
    Heck maybe after the superbowl I will do a little drunk treadmilling ! LOL
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    theres about 200 calories per hot wing...... vodka has about 60 calories. I say get really wasted on the vodka then you'll forget about the hot wings! :-)
    Or, do like me and Superbowl Sunday doesnt count in the diet plan. Thats just a day to eat bad food and enjoy yourself,then work it off the following week!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the wings but I drink my vodka with crystal light singles and water. It tastes like a vodka cranberry (my drink of choice) with not many calories. I'd get a big workout in and just enjoy. It's America dadgummit, you just don't mess with the Super Bowl! :wink:
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options

I don't know about the baking idea, I am a little bit OCD and the thought of not having my wings crispy , and wings is quite depressing ! (LOL) Franks Sauce all the way !! haha

@tuduis ... I really think I might have to do an early morning Crazy workout myself , cuz I't not giving up a good party ! LOL

DITTO! So worth the extra work to minimize the guilt and maximize the fun ;D
  • BecciL
    Options
    theres about 200 calories per hot wing...... vodka has about 60 calories. I say get really wasted on the vodka then you'll forget about the hot wings! :-)
    Or, do like me and Superbowl Sunday doesnt count in the diet plan. Thats just a day to eat bad food and enjoy yourself,then work it off the following week!

are you serious, 200 cal PER hot wing !! Oh dear Jesus ! Well I know I am golden on the Vodka , Maybe I will just lick the frank sauce ! LMAO
  • BecciL
    Options
    Can't help with the wings but I drink my vodka with crystal light singles and water. It tastes like a vodka cranberry (my drink of choice) with not many calories. I'd get a big workout in and just enjoy. It's America dadgummit, you just don't mess with the Super Bowl! :wink:

thanks for the crystal light idea , I actually have drank those with water and always have liked them , add in a fresh lemon and I have my fruit too !! LOL
  • MHBquixotic
    Options
    I encourage the Baking of the wings or on the Grill. I am not sure how much healthier it makes them but I am assuming it’s healthier. What I do to prepare them is the following:

Sometimes I try and take as much skin as I can, sometimes I leave some on because it takes soooo good. Lol
    Then I put make shift plate of foil and add your preferred sauce, evenly, then I either put them in the oven or on the Grill till they are done. Oh also I have not perfected this but I am trying to figure a way so they don't stick to the foil when they are done.
    After putting the sauce I cover the make shift plate with another foil to get even cooking.

Again I am not sure how much healthier it makes them but assuming its better than deep frying and they come out equally crispy and delicious. Also if you find that they are becoming to dry add some extra sauce while they cook.
  • BecciL
    Options
    I encourage the Baking of the wings or on the Grill. I am not sure how much healthier it makes them but I am assuming it’s healthier. What I do to prepare them is the following:

Sometimes I try and take as much skin as I can, sometimes I leave some on because it takes soooo good. Lol
    Then I put make shift plate of foil and add your preferred sauce, evenly, then I either put them in the oven or on the Grill till they are done. Oh also I have not perfected this but I am trying to figure a way so they don't stick to the foil when they are done.
    After putting the sauce I cover the make shift plate with another foil to get even cooking.

Again I am not sure how much healthier it makes them but assuming its better than deep frying and they come out equally crispy and delicious. Also if you find that they are becoming to dry add some extra sauce while they cook.

This is definitely a delima but I hope to come to a solution ! LOL
    thank you