Gained 84lb of the 92lb i've lost :(

Options
This time last year, I had lost 92lb and was training for a half marathon. Since then my work, home and social life has completely changed resulting in my falling off the wagon in spectacular fashion. When I started gaining again, I panicked and felt like I'd lost control. Instead of putting a stop to it, I panic ate and gained even more. I then started feeling incredibly low that I'd gained so much after all the hard work I put in to lose it..... and comfort ate myself into gaining 84 lb in about 5 months.

I have since managed to stabilise the situation and have even lost 8lb over the past few weeks. I am finding it incredibly hard to force myself to be motivated when I have such a long journey ahead of me (again). I have 103lb to go to my target weight and knowing I was nearly there not long ago, makes it so much harder to take that journey again.

I enjoy being active, but I feel embarrassed to do my usual workouts. When I go running, people shout things at me or throw things at me from car windows, when I am at the gym (especially when I lift) I can see people staring at me and I can no longer do my favourite hobby of pole fitness because I struggle to lift the extra weight and flexibility..... and I feel too embarrassed to be in the skimpy clothing.

Have any of you had huge gains? If so, how did you stay motivated?

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Hope you can stay on track for good this time!!! Feel free to add me!
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by surrounding myself with people who encourage me in the journey. I will be your cheerleader if you like. Feel free to add me!
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I lost 37 lb (17kg) and then gained 44lb (20 kg) back in a few months. Back on mfp now and determined to make it stick. Also got a pedometer and I'm aiming for 8000-10000 steps per day.
    Friend me if you like :)
  • jackieh5077
    Options
    Thank you for your messages. I am trying to stay focussed and make new progress
  • mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think most people are on this site as they've yoyo dieted many times in the past. We're all human and things happen, but you're doing the right thing by not giving up, you've come back and that's something to be proud of.

Oh and those people that shout or throw things at you? They are idiots and not worth you worrying about. Everytime and I mean EVERYTIME I am driving and see a runner/walker out there big or small, I smile and say "good on you!" Just imagine it's all everyone from MFP passing you and giving you a verbal high five. I say exercise and sod everyone who judges you. At the end of day, what is the alternative? You stay unhappy and overweight forever? Nah, you've done it before and you've come back so I know you'll do it. Get your booty out there missy and enjoy getting in shape again! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    for me the key to eating right and exercising is to find motivation wherever I can. If I were you I'd use that negative attention that you're getting to drive me towards your goals.

Another thing to remember is that psychologically it's incredibly difficult to eat clean all the time, so give yourself a one or two cheat meals every week. Or even a whole cheat day. But always, and I mean always log your food. Even if you hate yourself for eating a whole pizza, it's important to log it. Then get right back on that wagon.

Lastly, you know you can do this because you're already done it!

good luck!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's not huge, but I have the same panicky feelings and anxieties from gaining back and it's a downward spiral. I started at 276 and lost 66lbs. The lowest I ever got was 208 - my goal was 190lb before reevaluating. Then I lost my job (even though my husband's health improved) and I got a new job where the culture was really different. I'm now sitting at 230 or so. So, I've gained back about 20lbs. I have wanted to stop the madness for months now but I'm struggling with motivation.

If you've found yours here are the things I'm trying to keep in mind
    - You did it once, you can do it again
    - Life happens, maintenance requires more of a lifestyle change than the 4-letter word that is "diet"
    - Reevaluate your priorities and reasons and start again.