Question for LADIES only:

Options
Okay,
So I want to weigh myself every week, but should I even bother to weigh myself the week of my period?

I always get so bloated, retain water, etc. I know women weigh differently on their period than they do when they're not.

Should I record my weight during this week?

Replies

• tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I still do. If you have any gain, then you know why its there. You can just not log it that week or you can log it so you can see the trend.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Okay,
    So I want to weigh myself every week, but should I even bother to weigh myself the week of my period?

I always get so bloated, retain water, etc. I know women weigh differently on their period than they do when they're not.

Should I record my weight during this week?

Good question. I don't bother weighing myself either during my period. We accumulate more water so we will have like a 2 lb gain. so, skip that week and then weight yourself on the next one after your period is over.:smile:
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I would just to keep track but I wouldn't log it. It's a good way to see how much of it is bloating versus your actual weight.
  • bordersvm
    Options
    I totally agree...
  • ajax03
    ajax03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I say go for it.

I just weighed this past week (well, I really weigh everyday but only record it weekly) - during that TOM - and I was surprised that I actually LOST a pound that week. (Woo-hoo!)

I know that I usually crave sweet stuff and salt but I was super conscious of it this time (since having started MFP) so perhaps that's where the pound lost came from. I don't think it could hurt, though. If nothing more, it could just give you a baseline weight for that "TOM" so if you happen to indulge a bit during that time, you can know how much it'll take to get back on the wagon.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try not to, cause then it bothers me to see the higher numbers on the scale.
  • boozybirdtracy
    Options
    I continue to weigh myself during my period and note it that it was 'time of the month' and then you can noice whether there is a pattern in the bloating etc at least if you gain or maintain you know the reason and you dont need to beat yourself up about it x :wink:
  • navgal
    navgal Posts: 16
    Options
    Yeah I would weigh myself, even if it is an increase in weight you know where it came from and when its over and you weigh yourself again i like to see the big drop mental trick makes me feel like I did lose it :)
  • schmitzermom
    Options
    I would. The "extra" weight loss when all that bloating is gone is a nice reward after your period! Why not get SOME benefit out of all that misery every month. You'll still know where you are really at.
  • harys
    harys Posts: 10
    Options
    I just went through this and was quite bummed when I weighed myself, and this was only my 1st week, imagine how discouraging. But, I'm excited to weigh in for my first week in 2 days and see the change...all things considered. It's all part of it and why try and fudge the numbers. It's your body, you know why it's doing what it's doing.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    This is somewhat relieving.. just weighed myself, not knowing that you actually gained weight this time of the month..... I always knew I felt like I did, but never knew the weight was actually there.... I gained like more than two pounds and was horrified.. Whew... I feel somewhat better... Anyone know how long it takes to come off afterword?
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I log it. I like to see the patterns, and the number on the scale is only one of many ways to measure progress anyway. All the best to you!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh less when I am on my period, so I don't bother.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I say do it. If it's up you know why.
    It's important to have power over the scale and not let those damn numbers have power over us!
  • Adrian_london
    Options
    Yes, I'm a bloke.

Surely if you weigh yourself every two weeks you can avoid a "false weight". Obviously I'm not an expert in this type of thing!!!
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wait to weigh myself until the day after my period goes off and surprisingly enough I still lost weight! I just could not bring myself to do it during cause I did not want to get depressed from any increases.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I always check, but never log it. I feel that it defeats the purpose since i know I will be up 4 pounds or so and it will be gone in a few days...I also don't want to take credit for a loss that isn't really a loss either :wink:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log, if I static (stay the same, no loss no gain) I know i've actually lost which is nice, it also helps you to see the pattern. Water weight can start building up the week before TOTM with many people and lurk around til after its ended, that would leave you logging for only 2 weeks in 4.

I'd log it but mark it as TOTM and don't take slight gains to heart.
  • Mama06
    Mama06 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would, just because you can keep track and watch for trends in the period to weight ratio and really get to know your body better.

I always try to make a note in the exercise log when I get my period so that it will be included in my reports.

The main thing is to realize that any weight fluctuation at that "time of the month" is likely due to your period and don't let it derail you if the scale goes up a little.

:wink: