HUNGRY!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• tcgearin
    Options
    I would up my calories. I am not a fan of the 1200 calorie diet I dont think it's enough. So I trick myself. I strive everyday to only eat 1200 calories but my limit is 1320. So I feel extra good about myself when I am under but I dont feel bad if i go over and eat the full 1320.
    Definitely fill up on those low cal things like veggies! Also, I try to eat all day long. A handful of trail mix takes me a while to finish or some low cal whole wheat crackers, carrots, etc. Snack all day but with low calories. Keeps me full :-) Good Luck!
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice. Veggies... 1 cup of broccoli is 25 calories, Celery 1 stalk about 8 inches is about 6 calories. Bulky foods and high fiber and protien. And of course water...or a cup of hot tea. great earth makes a sweet and spicy tea and I think it is so good I dont even need to add a sweetener.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i just read that article that says that if you are hungry you can visualize yourself eating the things you want (ex. M&M's) they give and example of picturing self slowly eating 30 M&Ms taking about 10 min to do it. at the end of the 10 min, your craving is supposed to have gone away.

I have not tried this yet
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I can not do 1200 calories. I starve! I have mine set to 1340 and I work out just about everyday so I can eat...well not only so I can eat...lol. I am consuming on average about 1500 or 1600 calories a day and still losing enough to keep me motivated!!! If you are set in your mind about the 1200 calorie thing though drink lots of water, eat a BIG salad, adn always try to incorperate some lean protein in to your meals. Good luck....don't make it so hard on yourself that you want to quit though.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    lots of protein and fiber and water...these will all help you feel full longer. I tried the 1200 calorie plan for a while and it is really hard, especially at first. I'm now at about 1350 but sometimes only net about 1200 after workouts (I make sure I net at least 1200 though). When I feel hungry and it's not time to eat I try drinking water or chewing a piece of gum. If it's just a craving or mentally wanting to eat that usually fixes it. If I'm still hungry I eat something but try to make it high protein and/or high fiber, even if it makes me a little over. If my stomach is growling then my body needs food. And a day here and there going a little over isn't going to hurt you...it actually may be good to let your body know it will be fed if it needs it so it doesn't get used to the 1200 and start storing calories/fat.

Good luck and up your calories a little if you need to.
  • DenaFrazier
    Options
    So can you tell me some of the things that you eat that have the protein and fiber that are good ?
  • plumpalicious
    Options
    I've just joined :) MFP suggested i do 1200 calories and i've replaced two of my meals today with a slimfast shake. However once the tub is empty i intend to incorporate food. I think personally that 1200 calories is not a lot (but then i drank the best part of 600 cals for my breakfast and lunch) and i hope by using this site i find plenty of suggestions as to what to eat to get full satiety and flavour from my calories... I also intend to eat my exercise calories and thoroughly enjoy them!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Can't be very helpful without looking at your food diary. If you open it up, let me know and I'll take a look for you.

:ohwell:
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes it may take your body just a few days or so to adjust!1 Best wishes!!!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Exercise! I usually burn at least 600 calories a day and it makes sticking to a 1200 (now 1800) calorie goal way easier! lol :laugh:
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would up my calories. I am not a fan of the 1200 calorie diet I dont think it's enough. So I trick myself. I strive everyday to only eat 1200 calories but my limit is 1320. So I feel extra good about myself when I am under but I dont feel bad if i go over and eat the full 1320.

I do this too! I also use exercise to get back to the 1200 net.
  • debcarv
    debcarv Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try making and eating the Fat Burning Cabbage Soup on All Recipes web site.
    I made it, and eat it when I get hungry between meal, or as a first course prior to `entree at dinner.
    It's fat free and has a good flavor to it, also filling with fiber from veggies.
  • amandakay23
    Options
    It will get better...but, like someone else said, if you were eating way more than that before, I would consider a gradual decrease and work your way down to 1200 cal. I am at 1360 and it seems to be good for me for now, I was eating way more than that before I started this though I found out!
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    try adding bulk foods, salads, carrots, any vegetables, they add bulk and will help fill you up.

500 cal of veggies will fill you up more than 500 cal of meat or anything else. Mushrooms, carrots, broccoli have like no calories! Well they do but eating 5 mushrooms only have about 20 calories same with the broc and carrots! :)
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 for about 3months and I increased my fiber intake. More whole grains and fiber rich foods like broccoli. They take up more room and I feel fuller longer.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Exercise! I usually burn at least 600 calories a day and it makes sticking to a 1200 (now 1800) calorie goal way easier! lol :laugh:

I'm with you. I have a higher starting calorie goal, but I exercise and burn 300-400 calories a day, so I'm around 1900-2000 calories consumed, but still end up being below my net calorie goal. And so far I've averaged 4 lbs a week weight loss. Not too shabby!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    i just read that article that says that if you are hungry you can visualize yourself eating the things you want (ex. M&M's) they give and example of picturing self slowly eating 30 M&Ms taking about 10 min to do it. at the end of the 10 min, your craving is supposed to have gone away.

I have not tried this yet

THis would just make me mad. :noway: I cannot imagine even trying this, but if it works for some, I guess it is a good thing.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    So can you tell me some of the things that you eat that have the protein and fiber that are good ?

Greek yogurt is good for protein.
    For good fiber: broccoli, pear, apple, oatmeal, barley, avocado, artichoke, rasberries/blackberries, lentils and black beans are good for fiber and protein.

Broth Soups with veggies and beans are good because soups help to fill you up. I read that the soup stimulates the vegus nerve that tells us we are full.
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    when i started MFP told me i should be eating 1580 cals a day, i find that a lot easier to meet then 1200! maybe try upping your calorie intake but exercising more to burn it off =]
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Are you working out, if so up the cals. If your hungry eat more and if your eating out of boredom than stop yourself. Hungry you got to EAT:) Try oatmeal or yogurt with cereal(Special K fruit and yogurt is great in yogurt or the vanilla almond), drinking water or tea (diet Peach Snapple) helps to. 1200 is pretty low if your working out.

Alisha