New breakfast ideas?

Options
lramos6
lramos6 Posts: 2
I'm a really picky eater and I find that breakfast is the most challenging part of the day...I don't eat eggs or egg whites so I find it hard to make a healthy decision other than yogurt with fruit or granola.

Any good breakfast recipes that don't involve eggs or pork? Send them this way please!

Lauren

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Have you tried steel cut oats? They are so much better than rolled oats it doesn't even seem like they could come from the same thing. Takes 30 minutes to cook, but you can be in the shower or something for most of that time. Just stir occasionally and add a cup of whatever you like at the end.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have been making steel cut oats overnight in a crockpot.
  • swimnurseteacher7
    swimnurseteacher7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can eat non traditional foods for breakfast. If you have things you like to eat for lunch or dinner, try them first thing in the morning. The goal is to eat something after you have spent all night fasting (Break fast) LOL.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You can eat non traditional foods for breakfast. If you have things you like to eat for lunch or dinner, try them first thing in the morning. The goal is to eat something after you have spent all night fasting (Break fast) LOL.

^ this... get out of the headspace that you have to eat only what the marketing world has made "breakfast foods" at breakfast.

sausage, left over supper (protein and veg), make your own sausage patties, etc,

I like eggs so will often eat some scrambled eggs with sausage and brussel sprouts, or cottage cheese with some veggies or fruit, or whatever was left over from supper... sweet potato etc.

ETA: some protein, a healthy fat (sometimes i'll do a 1/4 avocado) and some veg is what keeps me full til lunch
  • amberets96
    amberets96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal! I make the same recipe every night and love it.
    1/2 cup overnight oats
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/2 cup skim milk, or any vegetable based milk
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)

ALSO, if you like chocolate two-4 teaspoons (or more) of unsweetened baking cocoa adds a rich chocolate flavor. (reese's peanut butter cup, yum)

Combine all ingredients in a small dish and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight to soften the oats. If you want, in the morning you can heat it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds to warm.
  • bthiering
    bthiering Posts: 9
    Options
    You could try quinoa it is high in protein and a great filler. I put a little almond milk with mine and add the fruit of your choice and a tsp of brown sugar.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I used to have quinoa and oatmeal (equal amounts) with dates, raisins and walnuts. It was outstanding. Gotta start making that again.
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Chopped bananas in almond milk :)
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    whole wheat english muffin toasted with reduced fat peanut butter. :smile:
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I like the non-traditional breakfast ideas. Just eat some chicken breast. I also used to do toast with 1/4 avocado smeared on it (I would also top with egg whites for balance, but you don't have to).

Protein shake - in blender, scoop protein powder, banana, 1/2 c milk, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp flax seeds, plenty o' ice, blend.

Steel cut / old-fashioned oats with dried blueberries, cinnamon, flax seed, milk, sugar in the raw

French toast (I know it has egg, but...), cornmeal pancakes, buckwheat pancakes (with applesauce instead of syrup)

Chobani has a crap ton of protein, plus fiber one bran cereal (granola is pretty high-cal)

Beans and rice (sometimes add ground turkey or chicken sausage)

I just try to go for low fat and lots of protein / fiber. Hope this helps!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Froot Loops/Trix
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I second the overnight/refrigerator oatmeal! Especially in the warmer summer months (although I eat it year round!). Here is a link to some good recipes. It may look complicated, but it could hardly be easier. And I just use either a Tupperware container or an old Talenti gelato tub! http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like to do protein shakes. I use a cup of unsweetened almond milk, protein powder and fruit. It's quick and easy to take on the run.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the overnight oatmeal. But eat what you like. Anything is ok as long as you keep it healthy, I've had soup for breakfast before because that is what sounded good.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    How about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Lamb neck bacon and a croissant.
  • Ann_i
    Ann_i Posts: 5
    Options
    Ideas:
    Rice or corn galettes with some spreading sweet / salty for choosing.
    - yogurt with some jam
    - some light cheese with a turkey ham slice
    - peanut butter with a fruit above
    -any other idea you like
    Banana pancakes:
    - 1 mushed banana + 2 tbsp flour + 1 egg.
    Oats (but this was already suggested)
    Fruit shakes with some seeds/nuts inside as proteins
    Backing a bunch of healthy muffins for the week and eating 1 for breakfast with coffee each day

I probably could think about more ideas - but it depends if you are used to do sweet or salty breakfasts.
    Hope it helped! :)
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has quinoa & steel cut maple flavored oatmeal.... Yum!

british crumpets (kinda like a bagel, but less calories) with light whipped cream cheese, a portion of smoked rainbow trout, and a slice of tomato or avacado....

honey bunches of oats cereal with skim milk

cottage cheese & tomatoes, or peaches, or mango, etc.

And as everyone else has mentioned, it doesn't have to be breakfast foods.... I actually love breakfast food and will have it anytime of the day or night, so why not swap them around if you want? :flowerforyou:

ooohhh... and p.s! there's even a recipe for breakfast cookies which consist of only mashed bananas, oatmeal, and either chocolate chips or nuts.... yum!!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I made a squash pie and I've been having a slice every morning for breakfast. The recipe calls for just zucchini, but I did a mix of different squashes I picked up at the farmer's market. Its super yummy! It has 2 eggs in it, but its not egg-y.

Crust-less Zucchini Pie
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/crust-less-summer-zucchini-pie.html
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/6th • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 125.3 • Fat: 4.8 g • Protein: 8.1 g • Carb: 13.1 g • Fiber: 2.0 g • Sugar: 2.5 g
    Sodium: 420.1 mg

This doesn't apply to your egg-less request, but I am thinking that some other people may read this looking for breakfast ideas. These can be made on Sunday night and will last you a few days of grab-n-go breakfasts.

Broccoli and Cheese Mini Egg Omelets
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets-2.html
    Servings: 4 1/2 • Size: 2 omelets • Old Points: 4 • Weight Watcher Points+: 4
    Calories: 167 • Fat: 8.5 g • Carb: 5 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Protein: 18 g • Sugar: 0 g
    Sodium: 317 mg (without the salt) • Cholest: 170 mg

And in general I would say to look on the skinnytaste.com website. She has amazing foods on there. I cook a lot and about 95% of the recipes I use come off her site. She is very aware of how to remove exactly the ingredients that just add extra fat and calories, but be sure that everything is still delicious.