Non fat, low fat, full fat

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
I have noticed that low fat or non fat products usually have different macros that full fat versions. Sometimes they have more additives and often they have less fat but more carbohydrates.
I have heard some say that it is actually a good idea to eat the full fat versions, especially if you're eating low carb.

Sometimes there is a taste difference - I like the whole milk better than the skimmed milk, though sometimes I don't notice that much of a difference. For things like mayonnaise there are many calories to save on low fat options.

What do you prefer? Are there other reasons than taste and fullness to chose full fat options?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I prefer full fat for taste and satiety. The only macro I really pay attention to is protein. Carbs and fat I let full where they may.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    full fat is usually the go to.

In order to take low/no fat taste better they add a lot of sugar products in- fats what makes things taste delicious.

Now.
    That being said.

If I can eat MORE of the low fat- and I think it tastes the same- I'll pick that option- but I only every do that if it tastes the same and I can eat significantly more.

My daily example is Cabot Plain Greek
    no/low fat is 190 calories- 227 grams (one cup)
    10% milk fat is 330 calories for 227 grams (one cup)

to me they taste the same- i can twice as much non/low fat- so I tend to buy that- if they have it- it's rarely stocked- so I wind up with the 10% but it's good.

I don't sub out *kitten* for crappy low fat versions just because it's low fat- there has to be a significant calorie pay off AND little taste variation. Problem is - usually the non/low fat tastes like crap. So I don't.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that low fat or non fat products usually have different macros that full fat versions. Sometimes they have more additives and often they have less fat but more carbohydrates.
    I have heard some say that it is actually a good idea to eat the full fat versions, especially if you're eating low carb.

Sometimes there is a taste difference - I like the whole milk better than the skimmed milk, though sometimes I don't notice that much of a difference. For things like mayonnaise there are many calories to save on low fat options.

What do you prefer? Are there other reasons than taste and fullness to chose full fat options?

Many items that are listed as "light", "low-fat" or "diet" replace the fat with loads of sodium and sugar to give the items flavor and texture. In those cases, I would much rather stick with the original food item.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Fat is necessary for your body to work the way it's supposed to. Fat is tasty. Fat helps make your meals satisfying. Those are enough reasons for me.

That said...there are a few dairy products where I very very legitimately prefer the taste/texture/whatever (it's really more a mouthfeel thing...which is just a weird thing to say, lol) of the reduced fat versions (namely light sour cream and nonfat greek yogurt, and on the very rare occasion I drink milk I can only tolerate skim) so that's what I buy, but there's no need to sacrifice taste based on fat grams alone. Buy/eat what you like and what fits your macro and calorie goals.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you want at the time. I'll eat/drink both the full and low fat versions of the same products. I often prefer the taste of the full fat products but it depends on how I'm fitting it into my calories on the day.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat foods with out any added stuff found in low fat or non fat stuff.