advice needed due to unexpected news!!!!!

Options
Hi everyone!
Ive just found out I am expecting my 3rd child!!!! a very big suprise!
I know dieting during pregnancy is definately a no no..but with my 2nd child i put on so much weight..and have battled with that weight ever since (that was 4 yrs ago!!)
I just dont want to get huge again so does anyone have any advice for keeping UN-NECESSARY weight gain down...and any exercises to recommend??
Many thanks in advance for your help!
Michelle

Replies

• crazychick
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I know dieting during pregnancy is definately a no no..but with my 2nd child i put on so much weight..and have battled with that weight ever since (that was 4 yrs ago!!)
    I just dont want to get huge again so does anyone have any advice for keeping UN-NECESSARY weight gain down...and any exercises to recommend??
    Michelle
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I think you should talk to your doctor, first and foremost. Mostly, just steer clear of junk food - the baby doesn't want it, anyway :laugh: - and eat healthy stuff when you are hungry. Ask the doc about exercises, because each woman's pregnancy is sooo different. I know I walked a lot at air-conditioned malls when I was pregnant.

Good luck and enjoy! (I loved being pregnant!) :flowerforyou:
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    something that had to keep reminding myself of.....Eating for two does not eat mean eating twice as much!

Talk to you ob they will tell you how to be healthy for you and your baby! CONGRATS on #3! I have 3 also, enjoy your pregnancy, soon you and your husband will be outnumbered! :happy:

Best of Luck!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! That is wonderful news!

Now, just relax! :) It can be easy to keep healthy while pregnant. Definitely talk to your OB about what you want to do!! You know, you don't have to gain a single pound as long as your baby is thriving.

Eat healthy, nutritious foods. And eating for a baby is only like an extra 200-300 calories a day. That is like a yogurt and 2 pieces of fruit! Not too hard!! :)

You can exercise while pregnant, usually as long as your body is already used to exercising. I know you are supposed to keep your heart rate down a little lower while doing cardio. I think the number is around 140 or something. Just research it.

I think just keeping yourself under control is the biggest thing! :)

GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS again!!

-Tami
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    We're hoping to come up pregnant, too, and I've already thought about what I would do to keep the weight gain at a healthy minimum. The first place I would start, honestly, is to talk to your doctor about your caloric needs. Tell her/him how much you're taking in while dieting, and ask where you should start so that you're taking in enough to nourish yourself and the baby, yet not setting yourself up for a huge post-partum disaster. I think I read that for pregnancy you really only need to take in 500 calories more than what it would take for you to maintain your weight.

As far as exercises, I know things like sit ups and that are out of the question. But I have read that you have a variety of other options to choose from, like yoga, walking/jogging, light weight lifting, swimming... just be sure to keep it moderate and not put any strain on the baby (especially once that little bean starts getting bigger.)

Congrats to you! What wonderful news!
  • crazychick
    Options
    thanks so much for all your help I really do appreciate it!
    Im seeing my midwife next tuesday so i'll be sure to discuss things with her.
    Tami you've lost so much weight! whats your secret?!
    I am looking forward to the baby but i just want to make sure i prepare my body well so that after the birth i can make a quick recovery and back on the road to being slim!!!!
    I hope you get the result your hoping for soon mommamccoY!
    THANKS AGAIN!:smile:
    Mich.
    x
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    If you are able to stay active do so.

With my doctors blessing my first pregnancy I cycled, rollerbladed (1st trimester) skied (1st), and walked every day. With my second I was on bed rest. I wish you a happy, healthy, active pregnancy.

CONGRAT!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Michelle

With my second child, I cut out all sugar. That helped tremendously on the weight issue. And it is safe to do water aerobics while pregnant.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and your growing family!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did tae kwon do and weight lifting until the 37th week in my pregnancy.

The doctor said "do not do anything your body isn't used to doing." So I could continue doing those high energy workouts, as long as 1) i didn't lose weight, and 2) no sparring or other heavy items aimed at my stomach

I started heavier than i should have. Technically i could/should have gone the entire pregnancy and gained only 5-10 pounds and been healthy (baby too) I gained 63 pounds and just lost the last of it, now that she is 19 months old, but still have a bit to go

You are going to need to talk to your doctor for your specific instructions. Hopefully your doctor knows you that well.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    With my second child, I cut out all sugar. That helped tremendously on the weight issue. And it is safe to do water aerobics while pregnant.

Depending on how big the city you live in is, you can sometimes find water aerobic classes especially designed for mommies-to-be. Congrats on the news!!! AddEmoticons0979.gif
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    No advice here, but Congratulations!!!!

All these soon to be additions to the MFP family is giving me baby fever!