Figuring out my Activity Level

Options
So I just recently started with myfitnesspal's app. I think its great and made me very consious of my calories, choices and portions.

The critical item I'm still undecided on is figuring out my activity level. A quick run down...

I have a sit-down job, I commute 1.5 hours a day and watch TV for several hours each nite. That said I do exercise vigoursly 4 times a week. I typically run 15-20 miles a week at a decent clip plus some core, strength and stretching.

So with that, any recommendation on which activity level setting I should set the app too?

Really appreciate it.

~J

Replies

• RunninGran
    RunninGran Posts: 38
    Options
    Holy Smokes Batman... 15-20 miles a week is awesome. I am also struggling with the activity part of the program. I have a seditary job and a 30 min. commute each way. I don't watch alot of tv but reading is my vice (give me a good book and I can disappear all day) plus I will start classes again in a couple of weeks so that will be sitting in a class room after work for 2 hours twice a week put the study time :(
    The only suggestion that I have and I have not been doing it long enough to test my theory yet is to try to get up from my desk every hour or two and move. I work in a building with 6 flights of stairs so I am trying to remember to get up about three times a day and walk all the way to the top of the stairs and back. I excersice every night for about 30 min. and I am seeing improvements but I think (my theory no proof) that if I can wake my body up out of that no movement slow down every hour or so even if it is just for 5 min. that it will also help.
    Good luck! I hope I can one day get to 15-20 miles a week jogging. :bigsmile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Put sedentary and log exercise when you perform it, and eat most of those calories back.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am really wondering the same thing. I have a desk job and try to move as much as possible. I also have 3 children and a house to take care of and move around a lot once I'm off. I have mine set to lightly active but really not sure if this should be the case. I don't feel sedentary though.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a sit-down job, I commute 1.5 hours a day and watch TV for several hours each nite.
    That said I do exercise vigoursly 4 times a week. I typically run 15-20 miles a week at a decent clip plus some core, strength and stretching.
    Sounds to me like you should set your activity level to "Sedentary" and log any exercise seperately.
  • pandabratt1
    pandabratt1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @ OP, my suggestion for you would be the sedentary option and log the calories you do separately on the days you actually do the running. That way you are seeing how many calories you are burning from the run.

@ newjojie, my suggestion for you would be to stay at lightly active, chasing kids is an activity that is hard to track as a logging item and as a mom of only one, I know how much activity you can get doing that.

IMO
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you should set your activity level to "Sedentary" and log any exercise seperately.

I concur.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a sit-down job, I commute 1.5 hours a day and watch TV for several hours each nite.
    That said I do exercise vigoursly 4 times a week. I typically run 15-20 miles a week at a decent clip plus some core, strength and stretching.

This. I have a fitness tracker that logs how much I move. This is linked to my MFP account and adjusts my calories according to how active I was (I have my settings at 'sedentary' to do this).