I was craving a COKE and now that I have it, I don't want to

Options
That was one of the hardest things I gave up when I decided to change my eating habits. I don't drink coffee or tea, so a coke - usually only one a day - sometimes one every few days - was a caffeine boost for me, and something I enjoyed. I have diet coke in my house and have had 1 or 2 in the last couple of weeks, but I'm not crazy about the taste, so most of the time I'd prefer to just drink water.

My husband has been on the "fitness wagon" for a couple of years now and is very disciplined and well-established in his routine. So he has cheat days once a week. Since I am now on the wagon, too, I decided once a week I would have a cheat meal. I had one last week and had no trouble getting back on track, (in fact, I weighed even less the next day,) so this week, cheat day falls on Tuesday, today. My husband ate McDonalds for lunch and asked if I wanted anything. I said, no, I'm saving my "cheat meal" for dinner, but I will splurge on a coke. A yummy, sweet, carbonated, icy cold COKE! Then I added the coke to my food diary, and was like WOAH! Do I really want to waste 210 calories and 41 grams of sugar on a drink?? Umm, NO!! I most certainly do not!

So I decided to drink half and threw the other half down the sink. Sheesh! I would really much rather eat my calories thank drink them, thank you very much! Well, unless we're talking about a glass of wine or a margarita. Those are the ones I'll drink ...

Replies

• Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    Try coke zero, i love it over normal coke. Tastes better than diet coke but still sugar free!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Thank you! I will. I thought that was another version of diet coke. Cool.
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    Try coke zero, i love it over normal coke. Tastes better than diet coke but still sugar free!

I had one early! I agree..it taste better and almost taste like the real thing...wish they would make a Dr Pepper Zero!
  • emysirlaki
    emysirlaki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great job at throwing it away! It's definitely not worth all those calories. I also used to be addicted to Pepsi, Coke, Fanta and Mountain Dew. I used to drink about a liter a day. I couldn't drink one glass if the bottle was at home.

I have given up all the soft drinks and I only drink water. Once a day if I want something sweet..I'll drink Crystal Light. I have been without soft drinks for over a month. I think that's the only way for me to totally curb it away..is by not drinking any fountain soda at all.
  • LynzReedee
    LynzReedee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also wish that they would make Dr. Pepper Zero!! Dr. Pepper is my weakness and if they made it Zero I wouldn't feel nearly as guilty drinking it!
  • rugrat200324
    rugrat200324 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero is the way to go. But, I am proud of you for making that good decision to only drink half. This should not be a diet it should be a life change. If we change our eating habits and make better choices we will see the weight come off and keep it off. When on a diet ya you might lose the weight but what happens when you deiced that you are tired of dieting and you want to eat what ever you want. you will gain it all back. So good for you!!! I have eaten what ever i want and still lost 6 lbs in two weeks. I started to work out 15 min a day and walk a mile or two during the day. Then I eat what ever i want BUT in smaller portions. This makes me happy that i can eat anything i chose and its ok. There is not been one day that i wanted something and didnt have it. Also, i have been under calories for the past week and a half!!!! portion control is all it is!! Good for you for drinking what you want and not going crazy.:)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yea for you!!!! That is the kind of lifestyle change that will make for long term, maintained weight loss!! Congrats!
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    Well done!! I hope you feel in control and powerful!!

I'm the same - I sometimes crave things but when I put it in to my diary to see what it will do to my day, I can pretty easily talk myself out of it or, as you did, satisfy the craving with a much smaller portion than what I was originally going to have. It's such a felling of achievement too, to take control of my eating like that :happy:
  • carolsohn
    carolsohn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good on ya! Usually when I have something I love and I recognize the calories halfway through, I just say "well I had this much, why not the rest?" and just gobble it all. And you don't realize how many calories something is until you plug it into myfitnesspal, or turn the package over to the Nutrition Facts! Like my favorite costco cookies are 210 calories too! 5 of those cookies are my entire day's worth... so no thank you! Good job pouring the rest out!
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    I second the Coke Zero--it's my favorite thing to drink when I'm craving some soda...........and it doesn't taste like 'diet' either! Good job on throwing away the other half of your drink! Keep motivated! :smile:
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    Just watch the artificial sweeteners though, like aspartame (in Coke Zero) - they can trigger a 'false' insulin response, and cause your body to crave more sweet things to fix it!

(But I agree that it IS a better alternative to normal Coke, in moderation :smile: )
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    Me too. I'm having one now... coke zero and I added rum, yum! :bigsmile:

I applaud you for drinking only half a can, well done! :wink: